LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broke valve spring, replaced, now runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke valve spring, replaced, now runs rough

I broke a valve spring on my LE2 setup last week. details.... was driving around when i noticed the exhaust tone was sounding different. looked to see if i burned a plug wire. Didn't find anything so i pulled a valve cover to find out that i broke #1 exhaust. These springs are Manley Nextek 221428-16. My cam is 234/240 565 568 110. I don't understand why they broke. The springs were used but only had no more than 2000 miles, from a member on here "Colin"

I have since replaced the springs and spark plugs, am going to do a compression test/leak down test. Car has to have the gas pressed down in order to start the car. when started it doesn't want to idle and runs rough like its cutting out. No wires are crossed. I have came down to its a bent valve or opti going out. Any help would be great. Sorry about the ramble.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC these are the LS1 beehives from Manley. If so, get those springs out now.

I ran them once a few years ago to fix a float problem. Six of them busted in 30 miles and no I was no where near coil bind. Manley replaced them with a new set and told me they were a bad batch. I promptly sold the new set on Ebay.

I personally do not like beehives on heavy LT1 valves. The Manley was the only one that did not float but...../\. They work well on lighter valves but ours are heavier than the valves in a LS1 and are harder to control with radical cams.

Patriot duals FTW.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah they are the ls1 beehives springs. I just figured if they were a bad spring to use Llyod Elliot would have told me to use something else.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I don't understand why the spring broke on your set-up, but not on mine considering my cam lobes were quite a bit more aggressive. All I can figure is it would have broke on me if I had continued to run them. Anyways, I feel bad for selling them to you now...but then again not like I could have predicted the failure.

What still bothers me is when I came over to install your new spring, I couldn't get compressed air to seal that cyl when both valves were closed. Luckily, your piston was at TDC so I was still able to get the new spring installed.

I still say you need to run a compression check to figure out if it bent a valve or not. If the comp check looks good, then we'll know to look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

That sux and I know Colin had no intentions on that breaking on you. But I think your valve or valves is bent. YOu need to compression test them asap.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Btw me and colin are good friends. He put this setup together for me. So i know he didn't do me wrong. Im just wondering if it is the valves that are bent by the symtoms it is showing.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
What still bothers me is when I came over to install your new spring, I couldn't get compressed air to seal that cyl when both valves were closed. Luckily, your piston was at TDC so I was still able to get the new spring installed.

I still say you need to run a compression check to figure out if it bent a valve or not. If the comp check looks good, then we'll know to look elsewhere for the problem.
Damaged valve seat (likely an intake) which results in the valve leaking small amounts of air. I once had my intake off and I was cranking the motor and I heard a pssst psssst coming out of an intake port in the head. Bingo, damaged valve seat. There were small chips simply busted out of several intake seats with one bad enough to bleed off air.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Damaged valve seat (likely an intake) which results in the valve leaking small amounts of air. I once had my intake off and I was cranking the motor and I heard a pssst psssst coming out of an intake port in the head. Bingo, damaged valve seat. There were small chips simply busted out of several intake seats with one bad enough to bleed off air.
This wasn't a slow leak and it wasn't on the intake side....you could hear the air rushing out of the headers
Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

the valve stem seal on the exhaust port is bad from the spring breaking cause the spark plug had some oil on it,and the valve stem seal had a slash on it. so could be leaking past the valve to the header. just a thought
Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
the valve stem seal on the exhaust port is bad from the spring breaking cause the spark plug had some oil on it,and the valve stem seal had a slash on it. so could be leaking past the valve to the header. just a thought
But in order to leak past the stem, first it would have to be leaking past the seat....

Last edited by Colin91Z; 06-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

hmm true colin. This car just wants to be a money pit i guess.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
I don't understand why the spring broke on your set-up, but not on mine considering my cam lobes were quite a bit more aggressive. All I can figure is it would have broke on me if I had continued to run them. Anyways, I feel bad for selling them to you now...but then again not like I could have predicted the failure.

Bent a valve.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
hmm true colin. This car just wants to be a money pit i guess.
Aren't all LT1 cars money pits?
Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Bent a valve.
Exactly
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

hmm well that sucks for me.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Old 06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

One of Patterson racing guys is gonna come over after work and do a leak down test and check and see what the problem is.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, keep me posted.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

update. found out that the #1 exhaust retainer is broke, ordered a new one. started it and could hear it arching somewhere but couldn't find it. looked and looked for it and found that its coming from the opti. took #1 exhaust plug out and it fired right up. before i had to hold the gas and turn the key to get it to start

Quick Reply: Broke valve spring, replaced, now runs rough