LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how long has it taken you guys ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how long has it taken you guys ??

how long has it taken you guys to get your car to the way you want it ? performance or looks?
ive been doing alot of stuff to my car for the past few years from the suspension ,blower,rearend ,motor,tranny interior all of the above you name it ive done it or im in the process of doing it now money is a big factor when it comes to modding these cars thats why its taking me so long and im doing most of the work myself ive been discouraged like wanting to just part it out so i wouldnt have to deal with it anymore but when i look @ my progress so far and all the stuff ive done im around 85% done with everything im just hopeing i get the horsepower #s im looking for and the car runs the way i want it too after all this time and money
Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car stock 2yrs and 3 days ago, everything has been changed out and Im not even close to being done.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I bought my car stock 2yrs and 3 days ago, everything has been changed out and Im not even close to being done.
damn man i just wish i was rich so i could just drop it off and tell them what to do and pick it up a week later lol but @ the same time i love working on cars tho im not go lie especially when it works right the 1st time i just see a bunch of people in their cars and i think to myself damn i wish i was done with my car should i be doing all the stuff that im doing is it really worth it ? but if i want my car a certain way then i have to do it the way i want it done i see alot of half done cars that look like trash because they didnt spend the extra time and effort to pay attention to detail
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Teching In

iv had mine for 3 years and its nowhere close to were i want it to be, went from bolt ons to hotcam, to a bigger cam and headwork and now im planning what i hope will be my final build, with any luck it will be done by 2012
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That depends solely on how much money you make, IMO.

It's taken me 10 years.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by devonsZ28
iv had mine for 3 years and its nowhere close to were i want it to be, went from bolt ons to hotcam, to a bigger cam and headwork and now im planning what i hope will be my final build, with any luck it will be done by 2012
and i have a hotcam damn see when i get on this forum it makes me wanna pull the motor and rebuild it again i havent even broken the motor thats in their now but @ the time when i bought the motor and did the lt4 kit i didnt even know this site existed i didnt know anything about AI OF LE heads and cam now the more info i read i want a forged bottom end crazy heads and cam but after its done im going to dyno it if its not the horsepower i want the motor is coming out SO FAST lol
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
That depends solely on how much money you make, IMO.

It's taken me 10 years.
i agree with you 115% because im sure if i had the money it would have been done sooner but like i said its not cheap @ all
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Teching In

^same thing happend to me with the hotcam, new pretty much nothing about 4th gens or forums, i was like "lt4 hotcam thats 4 times better than my lt1"
Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

lol @ Devon^^

Do the work yourself if at all possible saves tons of money and is way more rewarding. I dont have tons of money but I dont have kids or a wife either and the GF is really cool about the car. I pretty much spend all my extra cash on the car and eat ramen noodles more than steak.
I started with a hot cam 13yrs ago, then blew up the car and went to the LS1 for a while.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

I bought my car when 4.5 years ago when I was 16. After I finish all the work this year I'll be close to being done. Still on the stock shhort block so eventually I'm going to build a stroker or do a BBC or SBC swap. As for everything else like suspension, brakes, Seats, cage... and all that crap is done.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It never ends. I purchased my Formula new in 1995. I have lost count of how many motor, converter, transmission, and gear changes I have done since then. Which reminds me......that shootout thingy is getting close!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

At the end of the day though there never done. Theres always something you wanna add or change.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by airfix
At the end of the day though there never done. Theres always something you wanna add or change.
lol thats what im afraid of im going to finish it drive it enjoy it and start on another project that i wont go all out on lol
Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^same thing happend to me with the hotcam, new pretty much nothing about 4th gens or forums, i was like "lt4 hotcam thats 4 times better than my lt1"
damn were we wrong lmao
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AChotrod
lol @ Devon^^

Do the work yourself if at all possible saves tons of money and is way more rewarding. I dont have tons of money but I dont have kids or a wife either and the GF is really cool about the car. I pretty much spend all my extra cash on the car and eat ramen noodles more than steak.
I started with a hot cam 13yrs ago, then blew up the car and went to the LS1 for a while.
yea man im single no kids just dogs and my main girl is in cali im in az she really dont care what i do as long as i have money to fly back and forth to cali and im happy with whatever decision i make but when sh@t goes wrong you better believe she will be the 1st to hear it besides you guys lol
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only if we knew what we know now back then huh ?? it would be a totally different recipe for the car
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think it ever ends.... Unless your completely loaded with cash and can pay people to do all your work, maybe then you might reach a point where you have it exactly how you want it but even then it will only last a month or so till you see some new trend or idea that peaks your interest again.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

When I bought my LT1 three years ago I had big plans – header/exhaust, head/cam/intake, bigger wheels/tires, redone paint, etc. Instead, for the first year, I ended up spending money on replacing the opti and fixing a blown head gasket, but at least I was able to upgrade the shocks, do general maintenance, add a Magnaflow exhaust and do a thorough cleaning. Last year was a complete wash due to a move.

I’m in my third summer with the car and my focus has changed to just fixing things to make it more reliable and doing simple, inexpensive stuff to make it perform a little better. Why? Two reasons – time (kid’s activities) and money (I’ve got a boat). My kids come first and the boat comes second due to the short boating season in the north. I hate paying someone to work on my car, but it looks like that is going to be the case for the next few years.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by baylove
only if we knew what we know now back then huh ?? it would be a totally different recipe for the car
This rings true with so many things! lol
I would have saved a ton of cash on my car...I am at 7years and counting with the 4th build underway right now and its undergoing a full body/interior restoration this time.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Bought my car in 2000. I'm basically done the exterior, stereo, and interior. On to the engine, trans, and drivetrain. By the time I'm done, probably be a 15 year project. Nothin' wrong with that! Keeps me out of trouble!

Quick Reply: how long has it taken you guys ??