LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

darnit!! Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default darnit!! Lt1

hey guys i need help my cars had problems it would back fire and sputter on wide open throttle. so i changed the opti sparl and spark plugs. the problem went away for a few days then it started to bogg and it felt like it was trying die on me when i try to accelerate. all the symptoms came back so i immediately change the the opti again and icm, coil and wires. Now it runs worse. At idle i can rev up the motor and its sounds ok but not crisp with no back fire. But when i put it in drive and punch it to wide open throttle it boggs and back fires like a machine gun. When im cruising conservatively and slowly accelerate it picks up and goes with no problems but as i hei wide open throttle it sputters and back fires. But when im cruising and slowly accelrate to wide open throttle i have multiple misses NO back fire whats going on im out of ideas? Please i need help any advice?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aaronlt1
hey guys i need help my cars had problems it would back fire and sputter on wide open throttle. so i changed the opti sparl and spark plugs. the problem went away for a few days then it started to bogg and it felt like it was trying die on me when i try to accelerate. all the symptoms came back so i immediately change the the opti again and icm, coil and wires. Now it runs worse. At idle i can rev up the motor and its sounds ok but not crisp with no back fire. But when i put it in drive and punch it to wide open throttle it boggs and back fires like a machine gun. When im cruising conservatively and slowly accelerate it picks up and goes with no problems but as i hei wide open throttle it sputters and back fires. But when im cruising and slowly accelrate to wide open throttle i have multiple misses NO back fire whats going on im out of ideas? Please i need help any advice?
Sounds like a clogged cat, or possibly your water pump is leaking on the opti.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Could also be shitty gas, or faulty fuel pump. Is it throwing any codes?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Teching In

its not throwning any codes for some reason i have a new water pump i use meziere water pump and i have no cats just long tubes. Can a bad fuel pump cause back fires? and horrible driving at wot
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
Sounds like a clogged cat, or possibly your water pump is leaking on the opti.
the water pump is good i replaced with meziere elec pump and new seals. I have no cats i have long tubes running straight out.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Could also be shitty gas, or faulty fuel pump. Is it throwing any codes?
Cant be gas i only use 93 and the pump may be going bad. one point of time it ran good then a few seconds later of it running good with slight misses it went to hell all over again with the insane back fire at wide open throttle
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Launching!

I am not sure if they have Sheetz gas stations in Baltimore but you want to avoid getting gas there at all costs. They ruined my formula before i figured out what was going on. How many miles are on the car? My money is on a clogged cat though. Check your fuel pressure and get the codes read.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Oh n/m i didn't see your other post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Oh n/m i didn't see your other post
I get 93 at bp. Im kinda stumped cause im not getting any codes you know. So im gonna change the fuel pump and see what happens but i doubt its the fuel pump. some one else told me cause its dumping gas well i will put a fuel gauge to it on the weekend and go from there. But i have changed the opti multiple times in just a two week period. Lol i got beter at. I timed myself and the recent opti i replaced took me 1hr 6 min
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Get the codes read and report back. We can sit here and guess all day but the codes will make things a lot easier.
oh yeah i have no codes
Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aaronlt1
I get 93 at bp. Im kinda stumped cause im not getting any codes you know. So im gonna change the fuel pump and see what happens but i doubt its the fuel pump. some one else told me cause its dumping gas well i will put a fuel gauge to it on the weekend and go from there. But i have changed the opti multiple times in just a two week period. Lol i got beter at. I timed myself and the recent opti i replaced took me 1hr 6 min
Okay this thread has gotten jumbled confusing. Did you take it to a place to have it completely scanned? Not Auto zone but a actual diagnostic readout? This usually costs like 80$ at pep boys or someplace like that. Sometimes they wont trip the ses light but will still have codes. Anyhow get a gauge and check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve, it should be around 43 lbs.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Here are a couple useful threads about fuel pumps. I just went through the same bs with mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...fuel-pump.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...like-crap.html

Quick Reply: darnit!! Lt1