LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread would be so pleasant if the LS1 guys stayed out of our forum.

Tho the same could be said for the LT1 guys in their message board...
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cant we all just get along, and hate on mustangs and ricers
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I love mine!!
97 firebird ta paid 3500 and it runs 11:70s na and hoping for 10s on a shot.
parts are cheap,good looks,great sound.
I really dont get why people think lt1s are no good.its just a good ole sbc with the opti.
the best part is I get a lot of races because everyone thinks they will beat up on my old lt1
boy are they pissed!!!!!!

Last edited by boosted99camaro; 08-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not true.
Ok then tell Taner that and show me a faster M6 f-bod. Also I never ever debated LSX cars just LS1 vs LT1 stock block records for f-bodies and the blocks that came in the car.

Vtec stock short block LT1 9.44
Noyzee stock short block LS1 9.51

Taner 9.08 @ 155.07 - 1.42 - Mcleod Twin ------ 398 ---- nitrous xxx shot - 3550 - and has gone faster now
Stonabones 9.25 @ 152.9 - 1.48 - RPS Carbon Triple -- 402 -----nitrous 250 shot -3605 -

Stock block Big Ricks 8.08 is faster than any LS1 block I can find.

Looks like Gizmo also has a new world record for his class

If you know something we dont post it up. I would love to know about these cars
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Ok then tell Taner that and show me a faster M6 f-bod.
The difference is Taner is the fastest MANUALLY SHIFTED t56 f-body. There's a faster t56 LS1, but it's no longer manually shifted.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

So you want to penalize the lsx cars because they have a ton of block options and the lt1 is stuck with the gm block?

BTW I'm not sure what record you are talking about but if you are talking about the fastest 6-speed car it's an lt1 but it isn't tanner.
Roadtrips car has been faster NA but not on the gun. Maybe it will be if he sprays it although he has a Lt1 bowtie block so Id bet he starts breaking more records soon anyways.

Whos been faster than Taner???
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
The difference is Taner is the fastest MANUALLY SHIFTED t56 f-body. There's a faster t56 LS1, but it's no longer manually shifted.
and has 3gears and no reverse.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess only people that post on this forum count?

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiPerfLT1.html
"FI's 9 Second LT1 Street Car! - Forced Inductions has pounded the rollers with 1012rwhp & 909rwtq SAE with their PTK 88mm Turbo setup on an ordinary budget Eagle 355 rebuild. This street terror runs our 200cc ported GM lt1 castings, a 218/218 .544/.544 camshaft, 12-bolt rear end, and a D&D T56 6-speed. This is a full weight street car with 3680lb Raceweight!. With Jose @ FI's expertise it's run a best of 122mph in the 1/8th and 9.871 @ 156.74mph in the quarter! The fastest LT1 powered LT1 F-body ever! Click HERE for a timeslip of this record setting pass! "

And the quickest t56 car ran n/a and they said they put 5-6th gear back in for that pass iirc.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
And if it hasn't, the entire engineering group at GM responsible for the LS1 should be fired. The next generation of engine development better damn well be an advance over the previous model.

I thought we were going to try and get back to the original topic, but it looks like the temptation to rehash the LTX/LSX argument for the one millionth time is too strong for some.
Just like how the ls3 is superior to the ls1. The good thing about that is all the parts are interchangeable but apparently that doesn't count since the lt1 guys have nothing like that.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Ok then tell Taner that and show me a faster M6 f-bod. Also I never ever debated LSX cars just LS1 vs LT1 stock block records for f-bodies and the blocks that came in the car.

is vtec running stock unported heads? That was basically a shakedown pass for noyzee's setup anyways... His car will gow low 9's on the 200 hit watch! The lsx platform is superior imo for its vast selection of block/ head combinations that bolt right in... it should not be knocked for that reason... The only true way to compare the two platforms is by comparing them in stock unported head/ stock block form... Why would any sensible lsx owner build a high horsepower motor and try to utilize the stock ls1 block, when they can up the cubes and bolt in a iron block for as much or slightly more coin than building the ls1? Its goin to make alot more reliable power going that route. My whole point is that you don't see alot of all out lsx builds retaining the stock aluminum block because it don't make any sense too. Yes what Noyzee is doing on the stock ls1 block is sweet because of how fast its going on very liitle coin and engine mods. I have a friend with a procharged ls1 block car puttin down 700whp on a mustang dyno. It has forged pistons and rods, but the block and crank are bone stock. It has no problems at that power level. If he decides to build a motor will he stay with a 346?... most likely no because its only sensible to go with a bigger cube iron motor that will obviously be stronger and more reliable, not to mention how cheap iron block are anyways... imo thats what people want when they are dumping decent coin into a project. I understand you like cars that go fast with the "block" that was originally installed( i do too in all honesty!!!)... but in the lsx world it makes no sense and thats why you don't see anybody chase that record! Its understandable that hardcore lt1 guys argue this, because thats all you have to work with... The lt1 does a hell of a job for what it has to work with, but its boring imo. Search all the threads in this section... its always about boltons or ai/le 355/383 builds. Once in a great while you get a unique build like alekss turbo 383 car. But its very rarely anymore. The lsx has so many different builds, makes it more interesting imo! Thats one of the reasons why I made the switch... from a "all out" hp standpoint, id be just as happy with an ltx!

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Just like how the ls3 is superior to the ls1. The good thing about that is all the parts are interchangeable but apparently that doesn't count since the lt1 guys have nothing like that.
If you change out LS1 parts for LS3 parts and it no longer has ANYTHING that signifies an LS1, how do you still call that an LS1!?!?!?!?!?!!??!! Especially the block. Ridiculous to claim a car with nothing ls1 on the car to be called an ls1 powered car.

Equivalent: I change out my LT1 block heads intake to sbc gen 1 stuff because "they can" and call it an lt1 still. Even with a stock LT1 cam it's NOT AN LT1 ANYMORE.

How is this ANY different for LS1s!? Just because it makes you right? That's great "thinking."
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
is vtec running stock unported heads? That was basically a shakedown pass for noyzee's setup anyways... His car will gow low 9's on the 200 hit watch! The whole reason the lsx platform is superior imo, is its vast selection of block/ head combinations that bolt right in... it should not be knocked for that reason... The only true way to compare the two platforms is by comparing them in stock unported head/ stock block form... Why would any sensible lsx owner build a high horsepower motor and try to utilize the stock
ls1 block, when they can up the cubes and bolt in a iron block(based on a "all out" build standpoint)? Its goin to make alot more reliable power going that route. My whole point is that you don't see alot of all out lsx builds retaining the stock aluminum block because it don't make any sense too. Yes what Noyzee is doing on the stock lsx block is cool because its not costing him **** to do it. I have a friend with a procharged ls1 block car puttin down 700whp on a mustang dyno. It has forged pistons and rods, but the block and crank are bone stock. It has no problems at that power level. When it comes time to build a motor will he stay with a 346?... hell no because its only sensible to go with a bigger cube iron motor that will obviously be stronger and more reliable, not to mention how cheap iron block are... imo thats what people want when they are dumping huge coin into a project. I understand you like cars that go fast with the "block" that was originally installed( i do too in all honesty!!!)... but in the lsx world it makes no sense and thats why you don't see anybody chase that record! Its understandable that hardcore lt1 guys argue this, because thats all you have to work with... The lt1 does a hell of a job for what they have to work with, but its boring imo. Search all the threads in this section... its always about boltons or ai/le 355/383 builds. Once in a great while you get a unique build like alekss turbo 383 car. But its very rarely anymore. The lsx has so many different builds, makes it more interesting imo! Thats why I went with one... for all out hp, id be just as happy with an ltx!
This makes perfect sense. Of course you wouldn't do that in the LSx world. But how can you still call them LS1s!?! That's the point you guys are FAILING to see.

LSx? yes.
LS1? **** no.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

If you change out LS1 parts for LS3 parts and it no longer has ANYTHING that signifies an LS1, how do you still call that an LS1!?!?!?!?!?!!??!! Especially the block. Ridiculous to claim a car with nothing ls1 on the car to be called an ls1 powered car.

Equivalent: I change out my LT1 block heads intake to sbc gen 1 stuff because "they can" and call it an lt1 still. Even with a stock LT1 cam it's NOT AN LT1 ANYMORE.

How is this ANY different for LS1s!? Just because it makes you right? That's great "thinking."
They are in the LS series of motors which is why most of those engines are refered to as an LSx. Why does everyone here seem to think all the 98-02 f-bodies must stay with an ls1 block and heads. If the aftermarket is that huge no one in their right mind would limit their big $$ setup to an ls1 block and heads, which are both still superior to an lt1 block and heads.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Taner 9.08 @ 155.07 - 1.42 - Mcleod Twin ------ 398 ---- nitrous xxx shot - 3550 - and has gone faster now
Stonabones 9.25 @ 152.9 - 1.48 - RPS Carbon Triple -- 402 -----nitrous 250 shot -3605 -

Stock block Big Ricks 8.08 is faster than any LS1 block I can find.

Looks like Gizmo also has a new world record for his class

If you know something we dont post it up. I would love to know about these cars
Show me a stock shortblock h/r LT1 6-speed that has come anywhere near this time or e.t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

They are in the LS series of motors which is why most of those engines are refered to as an LSx. Why does everyone here seem to think all the 98-02 f-bodies must stay with an ls1 block and heads. If the aftermarket is that huge no one in their right mind would limit their big $$ setup to an ls1 block and heads, which are both still superior to an lt1 block and heads.
There's nothing wrong with calling it an LSx. And they are more advanced. Anybody that argues any of that is stupid.

BUT, they are no longer LS1s.

If I had an LSx f-body I'd do the same. But i wouldn't call it an LS1 if it had no LS1 parts on it.

Last edited by LSWHO; 08-24-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
is vtec running stock unported heads? That was basically a shakedown pass for noyzee's setup anyways... His car will gow low 9's on the 200 hit watch! The lsx platform is superior imo for its vast selection of block/ head combinations that bolt right in... it should not be knocked for that reason... The only true way to compare the two platforms is by comparing them in stock unported head/ stock block form... Why would any sensible lsx owner build a high horsepower motor and try to utilize the stock ls1 block, when they can up the cubes and bolt in a iron block for as much or slightly more coin than building the ls1? Its goin to make alot more reliable power going that route. My whole point is that you don't see alot of all out lsx builds retaining the stock aluminum block because it don't make any sense too. Yes what Noyzee is doing on the stock ls1 block is sweet because of how fast its going on very liitle coin and engine mods. I have a friend with a procharged ls1 block car puttin down 700whp on a mustang dyno. It has forged pistons and rods, but the block and crank are bone stock. It has no problems at that power level. If he decides to build a motor will he stay with a 346?... most likely no because its only sensible to go with a bigger cube iron motor that will obviously be stronger and more reliable, not to mention how cheap iron block are anyways... imo thats what people want when they are dumping decent coin into a project. I understand you like cars that go fast with the "block" that was originally installed( i do too in all honesty!!!)... but in the lsx world it makes no sense and thats why you don't see anybody chase that record! Its understandable that hardcore lt1 guys argue this, because thats all you have to work with... The lt1 does a hell of a job for what it has to work with, but its boring imo. Search all the threads in this section... its always about boltons or ai/le 355/383 builds. Once in a great while you get a unique build like alekss turbo 383 car. But its very rarely anymore. The lsx has so many different builds, makes it more interesting imo! Thats one of the reasons why I made the switch... from a "all out" hp standpoint, id be just as happy with an ltx!

Agree with most of what you said, but you miss the LT1 owners point entirely. For less than $3000 you can buy a good LT1 spend MUCH LESS on it than an LS1 and do 9s. We don't have to throw away the original block like LS1 owners do. If we did, we'd go 502. You're the first guy I have heard call an 8 second block boring. If we're talking aftermarket support here, as it appears you are, then the LS1 wins. But most LS1 guys don't change their blocks at all, they just mod. They don't realize that it's no use, they're just going to lose to an LT1.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's the point you guys are FAILING to see.

LSx? yes.
LS1? **** no.
The point anti ls guys are failing to see is that lsx fans see all gen 3 motors as lsx! This was GM's whole intentions, TO BE INTERCHANGEABLE FROM THE FACTORY! lol wich inturn makes for budget, fast, and reliable builds! You only get two of those three choices with LT1's...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Agree with most of what you said, but you miss the LT1 owners point entirely. For less than $3000 you can buy a good LT1 spend MUCH LESS on it than an LS1 and do 9s. We don't have to throw away the original block like LS1 owners do. If we did, we'd go 502. You're the first guy I have heard call an 8 second block boring. If we're talking aftermarket support here, as it appears you are, then the LS1 wins. But most LS1 guys don't change their blocks at all, they just mod. They don't realize that it's no use, they're just going to lose to an LT1.
Your missing the part where I owned a lt1 for 9+ yrs. reread my post and it might have a bit of a different meaning to you. The original ls1 block does not have to be thrown away to run 9's!!! Noyzee went 9.51 with A BONE STOCK ALUMINUM LS1 SHORTBLOCK and ROTATING ASSEMBLY! It has BONESTOCK UNPORTED LS6 243 heads. The stock LS1 block will handle 600whp all day! With forged rods and pitons I have seen them handle upwards of 800whp... who the hell needs more power than that for a street/strip car? Besides that I gurantee you I can build a boosted 6.0 lq4 setup for alot cheaper than a lt1 because that longblock will support 700whp untouched!!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

This is getting more entertaining by the post now.....Why would anyone care who builds what? just do it! enjoy it!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

This thread would be so pleasant if the LS1 guys stayed out of our forum.

Tho the same could be said for the LT1 guys in their message board...
Being it's open to EVERYONE for opinions you should probably put in a tampon and your big girl pants on already. You crying goes to show just how big of a bitch you really are. Someone that has so much hate towards the same family of cars needs to be ran out and forced into a Honda. Then you would fit into a class that best suits you.

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?