LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what you saying is in a all out battle LS1 vs LT1 the LT1 would win? In 13+ yrs a LS1 has not surpassed a LT1 block?? I know tech has advanced and ls2 ls3 ls6 LSX etc has surpassed the ol LT1 and the LS1 has better stock heads etc etc...... Ive owned BOTH but in the end a LT1 has gone faster than a LS1. Twist it all you want but facts are facts. Stock block to stock block that came in a 93-02 F-bod LS1 vs LT1 the LT went faster.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Do you actually expect people who are spending 6 digit amounts of $$ building 6-7-8 second cars to use the ls1 block when there are so many other options out there that are better? Or the budget people the spend big $$ re-sleeving an ls1 block when they can build a 402-416 for a fraction of the cost? That's part of the beauty of the LSx. With all the options out there it's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to build a fast one. The only reason you are making this stupid request is the lt1 guys don't have another block to use which leans the argument even more to the side of the lsx series of motors.
The fact that the LTx block is so strong is the reason it DOESNT have an aftermarket model. It is already proven to hold gobs and gobs of power that most of us can only dream of.

Sure, its a stronger block from the factory...but like you said, that doesn't really mean much for 99% of people. Small victory for the good ol' Gen II, not much to argue about.

Just like I could care less about an LS1 coming with better heads then an LT car, or being faster stock for stock. That might make a difference to some people, but I could give two ***** about stock or bolt-on times - they are both slow stock, and will need the same type of mods to run nice numbers.

Now, if they made an aftermarket block just to give us more cubes, I can promise you the gap in high end LS and LT builds would shrink a LOT.

Give me a high compression 434 LT1 with converted SB2.2 heads and I would spank some LS *** NA. Hell, if you want to argue about it being unfair using race heads and it not staying an "LT" I could do it with some massaged native LTx castings like AFR 227s.

Its a shame this useless argument pops up so often.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
The fact that the LTx block is so strong is the reason it DOESNT have an aftermarket model. It is already proven to hold gobs and gobs of power that most of us can only dream of.

Sure, its a stronger block from the factory...but like you said, that doesn't really mean much for 99% of people. Small victory for the good ol' Gen II, not much to argue about.

Just like I could care less about an LS1 coming with better heads then an LT car, or being faster stock for stock. That might make a difference to some people, but I could give two ***** about stock or bolt-on times - they are both slow stock, and will need the same type of mods to run nice numbers.

Now, if they made an aftermarket block just to give us more cubes, I can promise you the gap in high end LS and LT builds would shrink a LOT.

Give me a high compression 434 LT1 with converted SB2.2 heads and I would spank some LS *** NA. Hell, if you want to argue about it being unfair using race heads and it not staying an "LT" I could do it with some massaged native LTx castings like AFR 227s.

Its a shame this useless argument pops up so often.
I agree with you 100% just want her to admit that the LT1 has gone faster than a LS1
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow there's some LSx'ers getting real butthurt in here! Is it so hard to understand that the underdog factor and rarity of clean LT1 cars is what makes them so desirable ? Heck my 94 is still in better shape after 180k miles than 99% of LSx f-bodies I've come across.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

meh throw it away its a poor old tired Lt1
Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
But now you have 8x as many coils to worry about failing.
How often do LS coils fail versus the opti? I'd rather trust 8 than 1
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read to about page 8. This thread is pointless guys.

more people need to not worry about others stuff and worry about their own.

walk softly and carry a big stick.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

You know what I think is funny? How often lsx guys Feel the need to bring up the opti to try to discredit the lt1. It's still not working guys.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by LSWHO
You know what I think is funny? How often lsx guys Feel the need to bring up the opti to try to discredit the lt1. It's still not working guys.
The fact that they feel the need to discredit it at all says a lot by itself.
If they feel threatened by a eighteen year old engine that is a technological stepping stone, then maybe they need to upgrade their engines to the point where we can never keep up.
Till then, we're gonna hear the same old BS about it, just so they can sleep at night knowing their stock **** is faster than ours is.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Blargh. That is my contribution to this thread, and in fact I think I have improved it.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I can because I owned an LT1 for 2 years, I have the right to complain about it! But in it's last few months of life it had a 346 in it..

I hate these threads, it's just like brother-sister fights, in the end we're all family. I have owned an LT1 longer than an LS1, and definitely DO NOT discredit a well-done LT1, but in the end, I went with the car/drivetrain I wanted more.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not such a bad thread if you're an LT1 owner. I can see how the LS1 guys wouldn't like it.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Seriously?
The reason why an aftermarket block was never made was because there was not a strong enough interest in it. When the LT1 first came out there really was no time for companies to invest in a block for the LT1 since they were all trying to design or hack out (depending on who it was) effective heads/cam/supercharger packages. It was out 5 years before the LS1 platform came out and companies no longer wanted to waste their time with the LTx applications when the LS1 made its debut. They all wanted (and still do) keep up with the Joneses. The LTx aftermarket was stagnant for years after that with companies offering the same heads/cam designs that were offered years and years ago.
If you would go by your way of thinking then there would have been no reason for any aftermarket traditional SBC blocks. Aftermarket companies didn't sit around their conference room table and state, "OMG the LT1 block holdz teh gobzes of horsie powerz! Tharz no reason for aftermarkets, amirite???111"

Last edited by SS RRR; 08-25-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Seriously?
The reason why an aftermarket block was never made was because there was not a strong enough interest in it. When the LT1 first came out there really was no time for companies to invest in a block for the LT1 since they were all trying to design or hack out (depending on who it was) effective heads/cam/supercharger packages. It was out 5 years before the LS1 platform came out and companies no longer wanted to waste their time with the LTx applications when the LS1 made its debut. They all wanted (and still do) keep up with the Joneses. The LTx aftermarket was stagnant for years after that with companies offering the same heads/cam designs that were offered years and years ago.
If you would go by your way of thinking then there would have been no reason for any aftermarket traditional SBC blocks. Aftermarket companies didn't sit around their conference room table and state, "OMG the LT1 block holdz teh gobzes of horsie powerz! Tharz no reason for aftermarkets, amirite???111"

Actually, there was no reason to go to the LT1 platform from the SBC. Even today the SBC owns racing. All the LT1 offered over the SBC is a cooling system that made aluminum heads more reliable. There simply wasn't enough changes to make a new block worthwhile and the drawings were already on the board for the LS1. GM was the first to sell a racing block to promote the LSx platform in racing with the C5R. The LS1 had the same problem as the LT1 did at first. Racers didn't embrace it because of the narrower bore and they didn't trust the aluminum block. But we're talking budget power here, LT1s sell for a song and can be made to do 8s. How many guys go that far with any platform anyway?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Speedy
There simply wasn't enough changes to make a new block worthwhile and the drawings were already on the board for the LS1.
For GM, yes. For the aftermarket, no. I agree completely with what you are stating, however if there would have been enough interest to where a healthy gamble could've taken place to retool machines to make a profit, it would have been done prior to the LS1.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Death to this thread!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For GM, yes. For the aftermarket, no. I agree completely with what you are stating, however if there would have been enough interest to where a healthy gamble could've taken place to retool machines to make a profit, it would have been done prior to the LS1.
But let's face it, with a new engine on the way why invest any more in the old platform? GM never intended to keep the LT1 around, it was just an interim change until they could get a new LS to market. The reality is, an iron LS1 is better than an iron LT1. So why build another LT1?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Speedy
But let's face it, with a new engine on the way why invest any more in the old platform? GM never intended to keep the LT1 around, it was just an interim change until they could get a new LS to market. The reality is, an iron LS1 is better than an iron LT1. So why build another LT1?
I understand that. What I am saying is the aftermarket did not see the LS1 coming. They had no idea and were tied up trying to throw top and bottom end packages together. I got my LPE heads at cost because of this. The heads I have were supposed to go on 100 Firebirds and were supposed to be a Lingenfelter/Hurst LT4 Firebird package deal. The LS1 was born and LPE dropped everything LT1 related for those cars and sold off the packages at cost.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously?
The blocks were not, and have never been, a weak spot in an LTx build.

This is why there is not a high interest in an aftermarket block - the only people who want or need them would be the small amount of people who want bigger then 396/410 cubes.

So, yea, Seriously .
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Village Troll

This is why there is not a high interest in an aftermarket block
The only thing high with your statement is you, however I'm sure you are set in your ways so no bother in stating anything else.

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?