LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AI 355 Build Thread and More

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AI 355 Build Thread and More

Well, I've decided to put together a small build thread. This is what I've been doing to the car over the last few months. Well, I destroyed the 383 that was in the car and decided to go back with a 355 with a little bit smaller cam. Here is the run down on the car.

11:1
Probe SRS Forged Pistons
ProComp 4340 Forged I Beams
Stock Crank
AI 200cc Heads
228/234 AI Cam
.026 Victor Reinz Gaskets
Lingenfelter Ported Intake
58mm BBK Throttle Body
TH350 RMVB W/3500 Stall (Going bigger soon)
Stock rear w/cover 3.42 gear

I've yet to have the car dynoed but, the motor is really strong. It feels almost as fast as the 383 that dynoed 446/423 w/ a 6speed. I should know soon.

Here are some pics. Enjoy!

The destruction, I believe it broke the crank first but, there is no way to tell. I was running an Eagle cast crank that was internally balanced. I was young and didn't do my research. I built the motor 5 years ago.

After this I run stock bottom end for awhile why I gathered parts. That motor ended up spinning a cam bearing to I decided to put something together myself in the garage at the house.

I had the block bored .030 and finished honed. I did all the assembly here at home.

Why I had the engine on the stand I figured it was time to reapint the engine bay and put a line lock on.

Before:

After:

Transmission Cooler and shifter installed:

New Intake:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm wiring up the N20 tomorrow and hopefully getting it tuned this week. It is running 13.5 A/F at WOT so I wanna get that down some. I can't wait to get it to the track and see what she runs. I have a idle video I haven't edited yet. I'm gonna try and post it tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SpeedDensityZ; 08-29-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks more like a destruction thread than a build thread....HA
Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

My cpu wigged out and it posted before I was finished. I had to go back and edit the thread. It's finished now.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some destruction. What the hell is with these cast cranks. Did it have the holes drilled too deep?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good man. It's gotta feel good to finally have a solid combo in there. Should be nasty on the hose!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

Same combo as me except the intake/shortblock/wp. Should be interesting to see what it does in a real car.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like it should be a good running motor. I like your radiator support/air intake, it looks good! Get some track times! Are you planning on getting dyno numbers?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Launching!

looks good keep us posted
Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fex77k
That's some destruction. What the hell is with these cast cranks. Did it have the holes drilled too deep?
Actually the crank was pretty much the same as it was when I got it from Eagle. The balancer didn't take hardly any material out. I dunno what happened.

Originally Posted by gregrob
Looks good man. It's gotta feel good to finally have a solid combo in there. Should be nasty on the hose!
It does feel good. I was hoping to do a nice stock shortblock build but, when I was tearing it down I wasn't happy so I just went this way so I could run a little spray on top of the Heads and Cam.
`
Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Same combo as me except the intake/shortblock/wp. Should be interesting to see what it does in a real car.
I noticed, hell yours put down 430 so it should still be close to 400 through through a stalled auto I hope. If I can get a good 60' with my tire and converter mid to low 11's should be a breeze.

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA
Sounds like it should be a good running motor. I like your radiator support/air intake, it looks good! Get some track times! Are you planning on getting dyno numbers?
I plan on going to the track when it cools down a little, probably the end of next month. I hope to have dyno numbers by then. I'm gonna street tune it first.

Originally Posted by A20SVT00
looks good keep us posted
Will do!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Your crank broke in the same place my cast Eagle crank did.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Man that must have been one hell of a mess! Best of luck on your new build.

BTW, what did you use to plug up the water pump gear on the block and the hole in the timing chain cover?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk

BTW, what did you use to plug up the water pump gear on the block and the hole in the timing chain cover?

On my motor and his motor we just went to advanced auto and got the closest freeze plugs and had to shave a little off of them to make them fit...Then used rtv on the back side to make sure it didn't leak. So far so good..

matt
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good, I wish i have the money to do my heads
Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome. Post up some times soon!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i plan on running a very similar setup
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good, I don't think I've seen a SBC break like that before, I usually see them window the block towards the front. Neat destruction pics (looking from the non-ownership side....lol)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Your crank broke in the same place my cast Eagle crank did.
I remember people coming foward and saying how many had broken in half at either the front or rear. It was kind of overwhelming.

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk

It was, I actually felt sick when I got out and found my oil filter missing. I asked if the guys that run the track if they found any parts. They told me they threw my oil filter over the wall and handed me part of my block and oil sending unit. LOL.

I think the freeze plug that went into the block didn't have to be shaved down but, the one in the cover did. You'll just have to measure it and go to you local parts store and get what works. No leaks so far.

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
On my motor and his motor we just went to advanced auto and got the closest freeze plugs and had to shave a little off of them to make them fit...Then used rtv on the back side to make sure it didn't leak. So far so good..

matt
So far! LOL.

Originally Posted by slomarao
looks good, I wish i have the money to do my heads
It never ends, after that you'll you wish you had money to do everything else. You'll get there you just have to be patient.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Awesome. Post up some times soon!
I will as soon as it cools down some. Track days in Florida are pretty crappy when it's 98 degrees outside.

Originally Posted by lethal bird
i plan on running a very similar setup
It's a strong runner. I think it will trap at least 118. It feels extremely similar to my 383. It trapped 121 before the tune and I picked up 20rwhp.

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Looks good, I don't think I've seen a SBC break like that before, I usually see them window the block towards the front. Neat destruction pics (looking from the non-ownership side....lol)
Hell, after I got over being pissed I thought it was neat too. It really fooked it up. Nothing was usable, it cracked the timing cover and everything. I had to replace all the valves in the head.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
Hell, after I got over being pissed I thought it was neat too. It really fooked it up. Nothing was usable, it cracked the timing cover and everything. I had to replace all the valves in the head.
It broke the timing cover ??? Awesome!!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. You got it put back together and improved it.

I think your new setup will be pretty quick. I'm interested to see what it runs.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS Sick
It broke the timing cover ??? Awesome!!!!!
Yea there was literally NOTHING usable on the bottom end of the motor Even broke the knock sensor getting the motor out the car...lol

Quick Reply: AI 355 Build Thread and More