LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ls1 psm conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 psm conversion

thinking about doing the conversion since im tired of replacing optis, probably going with the ef1 connection 24x system., just curious to see if anyone has made the switch and how it turned out? let me know what you think or have heard about this system
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it. Awesome.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you keep having to replace optis, something else is up and the 24x system would be a waste of money.

JMHO, of course. If you don't need to spin past 7k RPMs it's overkill.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search on here for "efi connection" you will see all the post...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you keep having to replace optis, something else is up and the 24x system would be a waste of money.

JMHO, of course. If you don't need to spin past 7k RPMs it's overkill.
I wouldn't go as far as overkill. I have a random misfire on my setup. New opti, less than 5k miles, locktited rotor screws, new opti harness....and every once in a while I get a slight misfire.

I'm planning on getting the kit to fix the opti problem that should have been avoided in the first place. Good idea in all, but not exicuted very well on GMs part IMHO. For a tuning aspect the LS1 PCM is the way to go. And it costs less than half as much as the aftermarket injection systems.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think so. A properly setup optispark and coil setup will run all day without a problem. I've been using a GM opti for 6 years now spinning to 7k RPMs daily. No loc-tited rotor screws, no fancy cap/rotor, etc. I only really see the benefit when you're turning 7k+ RPMs. Maybe at some point I'll upgrade, but since what I have works there's no need.

The cost/benefit for the EFI kit is just too high for 99% of people. I think most of the time people want to ditch the optispark and go with the EFI kit solely out of frustration because they can't diagnose their optispark problems.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I think so. A properly setup optispark and coil setup will run all day without a problem. I've been using a GM opti for 6 years now spinning to 7k RPMs daily. No loc-tited rotor screws, no fancy cap/rotor, etc. I only really see the benefit when you're turning 7k+ RPMs. Maybe at some point I'll upgrade, but since what I have works there's no need.

The cost/benefit for the EFI kit is just too high for 99% of people. I think most of the time people want to ditch the optispark and go with the EFI kit solely out of frustration because they can't diagnose their optispark problems.
sad but true. MAny racers still have the stock lt1 pcm with opti and spin to 7k rpms. But so many people cant diagnose a opti problem, let alone a lt1 car
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

On a side note....if his user name is any indication then the LS1 PCM might just be worth it.... The 93 ECM is not only old but it's d*mn near obsolete. Just about the only way to get a tune is to do it yourself since nobody wants to screw with flashing chips every time you need to make a slight adjustment. The LS1 would be a significant improvement over what he has. JMHO...but that's why I plan on doing the swap when money permits...it'll make like a whole lot easier on me in the future....
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have it, it's awesome. No opti worries, and tuning is awesome. To me, it's worth it just for the tunability (especially if you're FI or plan to in the future).
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Well I am in the middle of this install...as I am one of those guys that could not diagnose his opti problem.....Here is my thread on it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-bye-opti.html
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Nice thread, saw the pics earlier. I still need to get pics of my build up from like 3 months ago lol

RamAir - You are one helluva opti fan. How much is Chandler Motorsports paying you to push staying with opti's? Just kidding man. You do have good points and I'm sure many agree with you, but I'm also sure some LT1 owners are just getting sick of their ignition issues and are tired of the laborious and time consuming opti changes.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by qc97z
^^ Nice thread, saw the pics earlier. I still need to get pics of my build up from like 3 months ago lol

RamAir - You are one helluva opti fan. How much is Chandler Motorsports paying you to push staying with opti's? Just kidding man. You do have good points and I'm sure many agree with you, but I'm also sure some LT1 owners are just getting sick of their ignition issues and are tired of the laborious and time consuming opti changes.
Another die-hard opti fan here. No reason to want to get rid of it if it works. The problems of most of those who have failures usually lie in the person installing it. Not to mention, one to two hours does not seem like "laborous and time consuming", to me anyway. Hopefully the OP has better luck with the ls1 24x conversion. I will always use an opti
Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qc97z

I think I should clarify that I am definitely NOT a Chandler fan.

As for the pro-opti stance, what were people doing 6 and 7 years ago when such a system didn't exist? Just about everyone was limited to running an optispark and still turning 7k RPMs making great power. IMO, its an expensive but easy way out.

Don't get me wrong it's a great system, but not for me (at least not yet).
Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Another die-hard opti fan here. No reason to want to get rid of it if it works. The problems of most of those who have failures usually lie in the person installing it. Not to mention, one to two hours does not seem like "laborous and time consuming", to me anyway. Hopefully the OP has better luck with the ls1 24x conversion. I will always use an opti
I agree that when the opti works it is a good system and there is not a real reason to change...

however some guys have GREAT luck with optis and others kill them monthly it seems....

As for the install error...I installed some of my optis and killed them

SpeeddensityZ - installed some of mine and we killed them and he has no had had an opit problem out of his car and made 446rwhp and turned it 7k for 2 years..

Vigalantelt1- installed 1 of mine and I killed it he had a 10sec solid roller lt1 turning 7k for a long time too..

All my cam dowels and measurements were measured too

So please explain to me how it is install error if you loctite the screws, seat the opti correctly and it sits flush without force...

Not trying to start an argument by no means but I see the install error get thrown up every time an opti takes a dump and I always ask and no one can ever tell me...

to the OP some cars for some reason just kill optis...if you have been plagued with problems like a good bit of us have...make the change it!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

He said the problems with most installs, not all of them, so no biggie. I have never loctited a rotor screw in my life, both on my own car and on my friends' cars and they have never failed and are still going hard. I raised the flag awhile back that maybe pulling it all apart and reassembling it does more harm than good. This is just a theory not really backed by hard scientific evidence, but I've never had one fail where I haven't done that modification.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

RAMAIR95TA. Do you think our optis never fail Bc we live in California? Our climate is never too humid, we never really experience rain and we have better weather? Most ppl with opti problems live in super humid and fucked weather.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for the record:
My opti is still on my stock motor, and ran GREAT.
The only reason I went with EFI Connection on my new setup was because a 2 bar MAP wasn't going to be enough and I wanted the tunability of the LS PCM.
I'm NOT an Opti-Hater.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
I agree that when the opti works it is a good system and there is not a real reason to change...

however some guys have GREAT luck with optis and others kill them monthly it seems....

As for the install error...I installed some of my optis and killed them

SpeeddensityZ - installed some of mine and we killed them and he has no had had an opit problem out of his car and made 446rwhp and turned it 7k for 2 years..

Vigalantelt1- installed 1 of mine and I killed it he had a 10sec solid roller lt1 turning 7k for a long time too..

All my cam dowels and measurements were measured too

So please explain to me how it is install error if you loctite the screws, seat the opti correctly and it sits flush without force...

Not trying to start an argument by no means but I see the install error get thrown up every time an opti takes a dump and I always ask and no one can ever tell me...

to the OP some cars for some reason just kill optis...if you have been plagued with problems like a good bit of us have...make the change it!!!
I did say most. Yours could very well be an exception.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

I'll sell you a whole LS1
Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

I think I should clarify that I am definitely NOT a Chandler fan.

As for the pro-opti stance, what were people doing 6 and 7 years ago when such a system didn't exist? Just about everyone was limited to running an optispark and still turning 7k RPMs making great power. IMO, its an expensive but easy way out.

Don't get me wrong it's a great system, but not for me (at least not yet).
Did you get the last check for $30,000 we sent you? The promo check?