LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I broke my timing chain..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I went with the Cloyes "true roller" double roller timing chain for my 383 rebuild. I've got the exact part number at home somewhere. The kit cost like $80 or $90 bucks if I'm not mistaken (maybe less!). I had always planned to go with the Meziere electric water pump conversion so the double roller made sense.

Have any of you guys seen timing "kits" comp cams makes for LT1's??? The prices are freakin INSANE - like $500+ for timing sets. I don't care what they are made of, the costs are just outrageous. I think one of their selling points is that its a double roller chain engineering to work with/retain the cam driven water pump feature (I think). Otherwise who the hell would pay that much...

What does an "LT4 extreme duty" set go for? That's a few bills itself isn't it?

Anyone thinking of doing an electric water pump conversion should consider an old school (SBC) double roller setup.
The Cloyes part number (the most popular) for LT1s is Cloyes-3145.

The LT4 ED set goes for $280. For that price, you could do a double roller and an EWP and end up with a STRONGER chain and 10+ extra HP.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
That is interesting. We have never had a customer report a stock timing set failure, and actually recommend them because of how reliable they've been with our setups. It would be worth the time to try and locate the root cause of the failure, be it bind, lack of p2v, etc. to keep this from happening in the future.

Anticipate requiring both replacement valves and head machine work. It is unfortunate, but it is an opportunity to do something w/ the head if you're so inclined. Good luck!
Do u think it could b p2v? My cam is not that big plus the deck is still in the whole. Are the 21* heads alot close than the 23* heads? I will be pulling the heads next week. What else should i look at while i got them off.? thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The Cloyes part number (the most popular) for LT1s is Cloyes-3145.

The LT4 ED set goes for $280. For that price, you could do a double roller and an EWP and end up with a STRONGER chain and 10+ extra HP.
Thats what I did when I installed my cam 6 yrs ago, seemed like a no brainer...
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it actually a GM chain or was it a replacement chain? I don't have any pictures to show you, but the GM chain has more links than say a Melling chain and is much stronger.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

IMO, it's gotta be something else. Many have used the stock GM timing chain with no issues, including myself. If you want an aftermarket piece, I think Lunati makes one for the 93-94 w/ non-vented optispark. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

it was a autozone brand. think that could be some of it
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

lunati also makes a timing set for lt1,cant remember what i paid but it wasnt cheap.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Now would be a great time to ditch the stock pump for an electric especially with your setup. I have the Rollmaster double roller #SD1090 and it weighs almost 1 pound less than the stock timing chain. There is zero slack on this chain.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Compare it to your old GM one. I guarantee you it's not the same as a GM one.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

something is amiss here. This is the first time I've even heard on a timing chain break
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

The heads should come off. If there is unseen damage to pistons and/or valves they will eventually burn up and more problems will need to be remedied and paid for.

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
something is amiss here. This is the first time I've even heard on a timing chain break
It's happened. A friend of mine with a '97 Z28 slammed on his brakes w/out the use of the clutch and broke his timing chain. He was going maybe 40mph when it happened. Of course this really doesn't relate to the present problem...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

The motor has over 1k miles on. So if it was p2v or somthinh in that nature wouldnt have happen earlier. Ive turned this motor 6700 pms bunch of times. Mayb it was just a bad chain.. I will pull the heads and look everything over.. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the stock GM timing set on my motor...Never had any issues...When I swapped cams in 2005 I just replaced it with a new GM stock replacement just because I had it apart already. For a stock piece it looks pretty durable and has been for me...And I'm definitely not babying my stuff.

--Alan
Old 11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Launching!

When mine broke I was barely rolling, revved it a little and dumped the clutch and it just clunked and died. I thought it was the driveshaft or something. Mine was a lunati piece as well, atleast thats what i was told. So far I just have one head off and the count is 1 bent valve and 3 timing gear teeth. Good Luck!

Edit: My build was only about 1k old as well

Last edited by ebeard; 11-20-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would definitely take off the heads. I happen to have a stock set with new valves in the parts section.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn. First one Ive heard of breaking.

I planned on running a ewp on my 95 so I went with the 3145 also.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:33 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

sorry to hear bout it! if you want to convert i have everything for sale! cover, chain etc... just no opti. very low miles on the chain, it is of course a double roller. cover is clearanced for EWP.

taner
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
Do u think it could b p2v? My cam is not that big plus the deck is still in the whole. Are the 21* heads alot close than the 23* heads? I will be pulling the heads next week. What else should i look at while i got them off.? thanks
There are several possible root causes. On p2v, that is why we are so adamant on performing QC, and having you guys check p2v at a minimum during installation. Common grinders are inconsistent enough to create issues, so installing unknown grinds and then not taking the time to check critical clearances can be a risky proposition. While I'm certainly not saying p2v is your issue, it is something that you omit at your own peril. Regarding how long it ran, most would be shocked at how long this stuff will last even when it has issues from the beginning.

If you are running a 21deg head on a 23deg piston, you need to carefully check clearances, radial as well. We did a good bit of mockup to maximize available p2v over the shelf offering from tfs on our 21deg casting based heads.

As previously posted, we have never had issues with the GM OEM timing set. What you get when you buy an auto zone stock replacement, I don't know. The GM part is only $125 brand new, so there is no real savings to be had by running a cheaper part.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Not to hijack your thread OP, but on the topic of PTV clearance,

What is the best way to check PTV clearance? I'll be assembling my 355 in the next few months with my AI Cam and want to cover all my bases. I've always heard to assemble the top end with some soft clay on the piston valve relief and rotate the engine slowly, disassemble and check. Is this correct?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
There are several possible root causes. On p2v, that is why we are so adamant on performing QC, and having you guys check p2v at a minimum during installation. Common grinders are inconsistent enough to create issues, so installing unknown grinds and then not taking the time to check critical clearances can be a risky proposition. While I'm certainly not saying p2v is your issue, it is something that you omit at your own peril. Regarding how long it ran, most would be shocked at how long this stuff will last even when it has issues from the beginning.

If you are running a 21deg head on a 23deg piston, you need to carefully check clearances, radial as well. We did a good bit of mockup to maximize available p2v over the shelf offering from tfs on our 21deg casting based heads.

As previously posted, we have never had issues with the GM OEM timing set. What you get when you buy an auto zone stock replacement, I don't know. The GM part is only $125 brand new, so there is no real savings to be had by running a cheaper part.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help. I am running 21* heads on standard pistons. I will be pulling heads off during the holiday's and check for bent valves. I will also check the p2v clearances. I will also go back with a gm timing set if i dont swap to vented opti.. If there are any problems with my heads. Be looking for a phone call from me. thanks

Quick Reply: I broke my timing chain..