LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Bolt on only heads up style class at the 2011 LTXshootout?
YES! i think thats a great idea!
89.74%
NO! waste of time no one will show!
2.56%
who cares?
3.85%
camaroracing12 stfu and stop posting garbage like this!
3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

New class proposal for 2011 ltxshootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason i brought up the whole rebuild thing is that i just had a rod bearing go and with 145k on the motor a little refreshing might be needed. Would a .010 over piston be allowed as long as it was cast or hypereutectic with a stock ring. I dont plan on winning or being runner up i just want to have a good time. If needed i could bring proof or whatever, and in the case i were to become runner up or win i would be willing to pull a head for the cost of the gaskets.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Piston material doesnt MAKE power.

Just to fuel it, we talking bolt ons N/A class? or can I bring a bolt on car with 3 stages?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Smile I'm In!!!!!!!!

I have a bolt on car that I raced last year(you can check the results) at the event and will be back next year. I would race in a bolt on class, so you can count on me to be in. I think Gizmo has the right idea on the rules and even support limited tear downs. This is huge for me because I have an all original 94 Formula with 69K miles and the motor has never been touched and I would be willing to tear down. If im willing to do and your not then stay out of the class. I would even be willing to bring a full set of gaskets and donate them to who ever got torn down. Im the GM of an auto parts store I can do that no problem. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this happen!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Just to fuel it, we talking bolt ons N/A class? or can I bring a bolt on car with 3 stages?
I think that a 396 with a stock cam would be just right!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

GIZMO, that is what I thought too but thought that might be stretching the rules, LOL

Wonder if they will require a Torq Arm suspension too!?

Got too much time on my hands as I wait for the turkey...
Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joelster
Someone that drove their car 300+ miles to the shootout and their LTx car is their DD isn't going to want to go through a teardown in the pits at a racetrack far from home.
I would be more worried about axles, etc.

I'm guessing that most of the bolt-on guys are going to be 18-22 years old, and are scraping by each week just to save up month to month to get that next mod. Is everyone going to be expected to bring a set of intake gaskets or head gaskets with them, let alone the tools (torque wrench) to put it back together?
I always have a complete set of gaskets with me and the tools to do tear down. Heck, I might even help!

Have a small protest fee setup. If someone looks too fast get the other competitors together to put up some money. $100 to pull an intake or whatever amount you feel necessary.
How is this different from what I have suggested? Except now you have put the inmates in charge of the prison. My experienve with paid protests is that they create hard feelings. I would recommend against that.

IF everyone runs an honest set-up, I really doubt that there would be a need for tear downs. If you don't have a tear down rule you open the door for all kinds of things.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIZMO
1. A great place to start with this would be to survey the guys that want to run this class to get an idea of what modifications they really want to allow. You really don't want a lot of guys showing up only to fail a tech inspection. You should cover transmission type, brakes, exhaust, wheels, tires, street equipment, etc. as well as the motor stuff.
I still think that this is the place to start if you want this. I doubt that this class will happen without some really firm commitments.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think that this is the place to start if you want this. I doubt that this class will happen without some really firm commitments.
I don't think that it should happen without firm commitments. There were several cars this year that attended the Shootout that would have qualified to run in this class, but we would really need more. Many some local advertisement in the Bowling Green area would at the least guarantee some participants to come out. It's the financial commitment that hurts the participant, and furthermore... I guess that the double edge sword of this is that a lot of people who tend to opt for bolt-ons usually do so for the cost-effectiveness of it. Please don't take offense to what I just said, I'm just trying to make a point.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
I don't think that it should happen without firm commitments. There were several cars this year that attended the Shootout that would have qualified to run in this class, but we would really need more. Many some local advertisement in the Bowling Green area would at the least guarantee some participants to come out. It's the financial commitment that hurts the participant, and furthermore... I guess that the double edge sword of this is that a lot of people who tend to opt for bolt-ons usually do so for the cost-effectiveness of it.
I totally agree. I also doubt that this would happen without a bunch of new blood coming in.

I will add that if you want it cost effective you also have to keep it honest.

For my part, I have no dog in this hunt, except I would love to see a good field of stock internal LT1's running heads-up. It is up to the racers to make it happen. It is also up to someone else to make the rules!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If this were to happen, I think it would also motivate first-timers to bring out others to the event the following year. Also spikes the motivation level to go bigger and better the next year.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I would be more worried about axles, etc.

I always have a complete set of gaskets with me and the tools to do tear down. Heck, I might even help!

How is this different from what I have suggested? Except now you have put the inmates in charge of the prison. My experienve with paid protests is that they create hard feelings. I would recommend against that.

IF everyone runs an honest set-up, I really doubt that there would be a need for tear downs. If you don't have a tear down rule you open the door for all kinds of things.
The money can offset the price of gaskets and rtv for the guy who has to rip into his motor.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i honestly doubt we would have to tear down anyones motor. i say we just go by the bolt on rules classified by GMHTP add a weight minimum and have at it. and if someone is suspected of cheating (which i doubt will happen) we will have a racers vote to tear down the motor (minimal). GIZMO can perform the inspection/help with the racer to do the teardown if he needs it if it is neccessary. sounds pretty simple to me. i feel like once u start getting into details and complicating things the class goes to **** and people lose interest.

i do agree that all entrants should have to show valid registration and insurance. and we could even add a 20 mile cruise to eliminate people running like 3 quarts of oil etc.

if ur not cheating u wont have to worry about getting ur motor tearedown. so if ur an 18 year old traveling dont cheat and u'll be A ok!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump just to keep this in the spotlight
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Bump just to keep this in the spotlight
I was thinkin the same thinggggg! I wonder what tony is thinking about it hmmmm
Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Tony,
I really like the idea of inviting the B-body guys to compete at the same time. If they bring 50 to 75 cars, plus our 40/50 cars. It starts to become a pretty serious event at 100 + cars! I think vendors and magazines would really take notice of this many LT1's making the trek for 2011. This could be the shot in the arm for the LTx event to make it happen big! I think we should really consider the offer from the B-body community and merge all the LTx stuff into this event.

JMO
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

The more the merrier! Thats what i think! Its jus gonna be hard to design classes around the weight differences
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Tony,
I really like the idea of inviting the B-body guys to compete at the same time. If they bring 50 to 75 cars, plus our 40/50 cars. It starts to become a pretty serious event at 100 + cars! I think vendors and magazines would really take notice of this many LT1's making the trek for 2011. This could be the shot in the arm for the LTx event to make it happen big! I think we should really consider the offer from the B-body community and merge all the LTx stuff into this event.

JMO

I think it would be great to have that many cars but, it would probably ad another day to the event which is ok to.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Hell yes 2 day event
Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM
8 Second Club

Kyle and I are not ignoring you guys. We are taking in all the good ideas and trying to come up with a decision and plan of action.

I want to see the bolt on class and the b-body guys so we have to try to find a way to fit it all into the event. We are working on it. No promises yet though.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I dont think there should be a minimum weight, just make it that you cannot CUT any metal out of the car. Im already down to 3225, which is too light for the proposed 3400lb class, and theres still weight to be pulled without cutting. And what if we have a midget or 85 lb girl in a 1LE car? Some people have the $$$ for lightweight suspension pieces, some dont and just gut the crap out of their cars. Maybe 3100 should be the limit, 3400 is way too heavy.

Quick Reply: New class proposal for 2011 ltxshootout