LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

You have got to be kidding me.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's back on the road! Not much of a test drive, to autozone to get a warranty swap on a POS Optima battery, wally world, then home. Temp and oil pressure are normal and steady, not leaking, not smoking. Guess I'll drive the thing to PA tomorrow.

Damn thing fought me at every turn. Even the o-ring on the radiator drain plug tore even though the radiator is only two years old, the plug terminals didn't want to snap onto the coils, just wanted to push the wires backwards, etc.... What a pain in the ***!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This last spring I pulled the crank sensor out of the engine in my S10 and...

- The dipstick only showed clean oil.
- Heads were changed about 1,000 miles ago.
- Engine has only had very brief runs over the last three years to achieve those 1,000 miles.
- Truck is stored in a high moisture environment. (Ugh)

Anyway, crossing my fingers that when I look into this next year there are no problems.

AND...the exhaust smells funny since the heads have been changed. I just figured it was the odor of horsepower.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 12-17-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice. Hopefully you don't have any issues, then again the S10 is probably a lot easier to work on! Do you have a lot of room to work, or is the motor a tight fit?

Well the car survived the 1150 trip yesterday. I had quite the scare only an hour from the house though. I put the clutch in to go from 6th to 5th as I was headed up a hill. For some reason the cruise control didn't disengage? I don't know if this means my clutch switch is getting worn or it isn't tight enough or what? I've had these issues since my 24x install, which I had to get to the switch to hook up the clutch anticipate switch, so I don't know if I knocked the switch out of whack or what?

So anyway the car went WOT and bounced off the limiter for about two seconds as my really tired mind freaked out and shut the car down. Turned cruise control off, fired car back up. Everything seems OK, but scared me good!

I know the PCM doesn't control the cruise, so I'm thinking the switch?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice. Hopefully you don't have any issues, then again the S10 is probably a lot easier to work on! Do you have a lot of room to work, or is the motor a tight fit?
It's a tight fit. I'm dreading pulling the engine out if necessary. I'll probably put a turbo V6 in there and eliminate the problems related to the V8 conversion (exhaust heat on the floor, tight fit, etc). I do have a 1993 Typhoon engine waiting for a rebuild and possibly coil per cylinder conversion and electronic throttle.

I know the PCM doesn't control the cruise, so I'm thinking the switch?
You should poke around the service manual for the cruise control schematics. You'll see that as long as the speedometer is receiving the correct VSS signal from the PCM, then the cruise control system is basically stand alone. I would look to your cruise or brake switch as the culprit. The schematics show that the cruise control module receives voltage at the module through both the clutch switch (first) and brake switch (second). If either pedal is depressed, the power is lost to the cruise control module and cruise control is disengaged/disabled. Alternatively you can turn off cruise control at the switch on the steering column.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 12-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For some reason the cruise control didn't disengage? I don't know if this means my clutch switch is getting worn or it isn't tight enough or what?
Didn't use any Toyota parts did you?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Woa! 1,150 miles is a long ways, how much mpg were you getting most of the way?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I didn't look at my receipts to try to figure it all out, but a rough guess would be 26-27 MPG. I set the cruise control to 80 MPH, would get gas around 4-4.5 hours, would burn around 12 gallons.

I know I know, some pretty rough vague math going on here!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gross! Driver side cover has even more than the passenger side. Well finally have some food and coffee in me, outside I go!
You want some mashed potatos with that gravy?? haha thats sucks man, glad you got her fixed!

Last edited by 93M6Formula; 12-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of my **** last winter. Sad thing is I may have another headgasket problem, and I did both sides.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This time around, if that's my problem I'm hoping to do a heads/cam package. AI here I come.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh if I had time I would have made an attempt to replace the hotcam with the 503 I have sitting around, but I just got done fighting with the timing cover to do the 24x stuff and I didn't want to have to refill my A/C system. Plus well my brothers graduation is on Wed. so I had to get up here. Didn't want that gamble!

Damn Torque Fiend, that looks way worse than what I had going on! Hopefully you don't have another issue already. I didn't really have any stuff on the heads, it was all on the valve covers and I had some in the tray on the intake manifold. You had it all over!

Quick Reply: You have got to be kidding me.....