LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Z28 M6 383 build help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z28 M6 383 build help

im gonna be building a 383 LT1 soon...i want know whats the best way to build it to run high 10's or low 11's N/A..no NOS..also i want to add a turbo to it later bout a year..would it be safe and would i get enough power to run 10's or 11's on low compression?...i know for turbo u need to go forged but what about N/A for what i want to run? and could u give me pistons that would be good for my build ( a set for N/A if the low comp build is worthless without turbo) and (a set for a turbo 383)....also what would be great heads that arent ALOT of money lol..i was looking into LE2's or AI 190CC (which is better for my goal)..are their any other heads out their cheap that would put me to my goal thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

if u need any info please ask
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheap, and 10s N/A are inversely opposed.

However, a 12:1 383, AI200cc heads, healthy hr cam, and a mild bottom end has high 10 / low 11 potential, if everything else is up to the task. You'll still need 10k plus. More if the car is currently close to stock.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

you build your engine around a camshaft not the other way around. with that said, if your going to turbo and you know you are, get a turbo camshaft. 9.5:1 piston would be good, with it being a 383 its going to make good torque. AI or elliot heads are both good. personally lloyds would be my choice.
if you plan turbo later, then build it for that. youll get better results and be happier in the end
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do EXACTLY what gregrob recommended.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
you build your engine around a camshaft not the other way around.
I have to disagree.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

you build your engine around a camshaft not the other way around. with that said, if your going to turbo and you know you are, get a turbo camshaft. 9.5:1 piston would be good, with it being a 383 its going to make good torque. AI or elliot heads are both good. personally lloyds would be my choice.
if you plan turbo later, then build it for that. youll get better results and be happier in the end
You build your engine around a goal.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

wrong you can build what ever you want. with out the proper camshaft the car will not perform the way it should. most top engine builders will tell you, its the heart of your engine.
i wonder why people that are actually fast, keep the camshaft specs secret? hmmmmm
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

wrong you can build what ever you want. with out the proper camshaft the car will not perform the way it should. most top engine builders will tell you, its the heart of your engine.
i wonder why people that are actually fast, keep the camshaft specs secret? hmmmmm
The cam is only one part of the engine and is not the be-all-end-all of the motor. It doesn't mean jack without the heads, intake setup, exhaust, etc.

You pick a goal first, then go from there.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont give a **** why they keep it a secret, I can tell you positively that engine builders do not design a cam first, then spec the entire engine around it.

That would be utterly retarded.

Go to Jay Allen's page and download the long form he wants you to fill out to spec a cam for you, he has to know ALL of this information before a cam is designed.

Believe whatever you want, but entire combos dont get designed around camshafts.

With adequate budget, goals are set, and an entire combo (camshaft included) is designed to meet or exceed that goal. At least that's how it should be done.

But sadly, due to misinformation such as this, lack of funds, and the just general ignorance a lot of LT1 combos never follow that course. They just get random parts thrown at them, and they run what they run. and as long as the owner is having fun, more power to them.

If he wants to do it right, he will CLEARLY define his BUDGET and GOALS, and then someone can really help him get there.

Otherwise he will listen to people like you and pick ONE magical and mysteriously secret part, then start throwing a bunch of other random parts at it, and expect it to set the world on fire.

Where in the hell do people come up with some of the **** that is said on here?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Heads and valvetrain are the most important part of an engine.

Cam is just a small part of an engine, that is both inexpensive and easily changed.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
I dont give a **** why they keep it a secret, I can tell you positively that engine builders do not design a cam first, then spec the entire engine around it.

Go to Jay Allen's page and download the long form he wants you to fill out to spec a cam for you, he has to know ALL of this information before a cam is designed.

Believe whatever you want, but entire combos dont get designed around camshafts.

With adequate budget, goals are set, and an entire combo (camshaft included) is designed to meet or exceed that goal. At least that's how it should be done.

But sadly, due to misinformation such as this, lack of funds, and the just general ignorance a lot of LT1 combos never follow that course. They just get random parts thrown at them, and they run what they run. and as long as the owner is having fun, more power to them.

If he wants to do it right, he will CLEARLY define his BUDGET and GOALS, and then someone can really help him get there.

Otherwise he will listen to people like you and pick ONE magical and mysteriously secret part, then start throwing a bunch of other random parts at it, and expect it to set the world on fire.

lmao. never said that the rest of the parts shouldnt match the goal.
but what you have clamied is quite funny. guess thats why you run a shop, or own one of the fastest lt1 out there. my bad, ill move out of the way for the engine God. enjoy.
i guess everywhere ive worked, and my instructors at wyotech were completely wrong.

to the OP im not saying that the engine shouldnt be designed for a certain goal. but your cam should match you engine, and should match whether or not its FI or N/A or nitrous.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wyotech? LMAO you said it all right there buddy.

Ill step out now so we can quit ******* up his thread. You can resume giving advice, since you obviously have best credentials in the room.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Do EXACTLY what gregrob recommended.
yep agreed.......
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to disagree.
i agree with your disagree lol....

Every performance motor i've built started with searching for heads...once i had the heads i got an intake to go with them.......then the compression/cam was selected next.......cam was always last......not to mention you can swap em out for 300 a pop......i agree.....figure out what you want then figure out your cam.....did it in my NA 355...Trick Flow Untouched Heads 11.2:1 and a basically stock bottom end, first cam went 113, next cam 117 then the AI magic stick and it ran 121.......now my 383 that the cam was designed for last runs 133.....see it works!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Puck
Heads and valvetrain are the most important part of an engine.

Cam is just a small part of an engine, that is both inexpensive and easily changed.
Absolutly........cam is easy to change and not that expensive.....

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 M6 383 build help