LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Facts or opinions about SA Rockers and guide plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facts or opinions about SA Rockers and guide plates

I've gotten a deal on some rockers i couldnt refuse (crane Golds extruded Race rockers SA) ...i Really was set on buying 1.7's ...but,hell i nearly stole these 1.6's

The Theory with SA rockers is that they are unstable At higher RPMS Compaired to the NSA ones ?....At first glance the look nearly the same betweeen the two versions aside from the roller tip..
on SA rockers the tip is recessed and has an alighment plate or "fingers" on both sides of the tips roller that keeps it on the valve without needing guide plates ...AS the NSA rocker do not have the "Fingers"

So heres the million dollar question...
If you use guide plates WITH "SA" rockers,Wouldn't that resolve the high rpm Unreliability issue? I would like to think so...
Thoughts,opinions,and facts welcomed
Mike

Last edited by defaultexistence; 01-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard of people running s/a's to almost 7k without issues. Being unstable results from 3/8 or a 7/16 stud.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The general consensus from folks on the board and manufacturers is never use guide plates with SA rockers. Maybe someone can provide a technical explanation why this is.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
I've gotten a deal on some rockers i couldnt refuse (crane Golds extruded Race rockers SA) ...i Really was set on buying 1.7's ...but,hell i nearly stole these 1.6's

The Theory with SA rockers is that they are unstable At higher RPMS Compaired to the NSA ones ?....At first glance the look nearly the same betweeen the two versions aside from the roller tip..
on SA rockers the tip is recessed and has an alighment plate or "fingers" on both sides of the tips roller that keeps it on the valve without needing guide plates ...AS the NSA rocker do not have the "Fingers"

So heres the million dollar question...
If you use guide plates WITH "SA" rockers,Wouldn't that resolve the high rpm Unreliability issue? I would like to think so...
Thoughts,opinions,and facts welcomed
Mike
It is not recommended to run guideplates with SA rockers.

I ran crane gold SA's with no issues, but my combo was specced properly and I only spun to 6300. If you want to spin a lot higher I would look into NSA rockers.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The general consensus from folks on the board and manufacturers is never use guide plates with SA rockers. Maybe someone can provide a technical explanation why this is.

Just a guess here as to why not to run SA rockers with guide plate is you would have two different parts of the vlavetrain trying to "guide" the SA rocker, the valve tip and push rod guide plate. This could cause binding or forced misalignment from one to the other if the two are not setup perfectly in-line with each other. I could see this causing all sorts of problems such as worn valve guides, rocker damage and maybe others.

This is just me thinking out loud, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^Yea ...idk..
... the SA rocker ,pushrod,and valve are in the same location with or without a guide plate...I wouldnt think a guide plate changes the normal route/alignment of the pushrod..just reinforces it..unless..IF i'm wrong... there are adjustable guide plates available If for some reason a regular guide plate would mess with the rocker tips normal location....
Old 01-15-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97pontta
...two different parts of the vlavetrain trying to "guide" the SA rocker, the valve tip and push rod guide plate. This could cause binding...
Possible binding is what I have heard before as well. Might be able to get away with running them though.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I ran Crane Gold SA 1.6 rockers for 40K miles spinning the engine to 6250 RPM without any issues at all, also had 3/8 ARP studs.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might work if you get adjustables and REALLY put some effort into setting them up. I wouldnt bother with it though. Just run them.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97pontta
Just a guess here as to why not to run SA rockers with guide plate is you would have two different parts of the vlavetrain trying to "guide" the SA rocker, the valve tip and push rod guide plate. This could cause binding or forced misalignment from one to the other if the two are not setup perfectly in-line with each other. I could see this causing all sorts of problems such as worn valve guides, rocker damage and maybe others.
This is just me thinking out loud, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Your "guess" is dead on. Those that think they can align things perfectly and not create a binding or interference condition are seriously kidding themselves. Hunky dory at static conditions doesn't mean squat!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

An engines valvetrain movements are far from predictable. No matter how closely you adjust parts with the engine off, they will not stay that way at high rpms.

There is a reason it is not recommended, and I would predict accelerated wear on the roller guides and most likely damage to the valve stem.

I've had a failed lifter wreck a Proform SA rocker tip, its not a good feeling to see that under a valve cover.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Sell me the Crane SA's, make money on the deal, and buy the NSA 1.7's you want

-Dustin-
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've run the same set Self-Aligning Crane 1.6 rockers since 1997, spinning to 6300 on hundreds of drag passes. Never a single problem. Only if I was exceeding 7000 rpm, would I change to SA rockers.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Sell me the Crane SA's, make money on the deal, and buy the NSA 1.7's you want

-Dustin-
Will consider offers
Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Using guideplates with SA rockers will QUICKLY eat the guides on the tip of the rocker. Don't do it.

Quick Reply: Facts or opinions about SA Rockers and guide plates