LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1's are better than LS1's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz
really u must be racing guys who are totally stock an cant drive that make u feel like a hard *** huh...lol in ur sig. it says h/c/i and bolt ons an only put down a 13.1 at the track..yo that blows im tried of all these lt1 hating talkin **** bout the ls1 an most of them do cuz they cant afford one so they have to knock it to feel better bout the old lt1
Your argument is hilarious - besides your obvious lack of knowledge on DA's effect on an ET.

I have more cash tied up in my LT1's engine then your whole LS1 cars blue book value.

Some people just like the cucumber better pickled .

::EDIT::
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You left out "At breaking down" from your thread title.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 278 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How fast are the LS1 owners in this thead?
I'm slow..

Originally Posted by 323steel36
okay sure no prob.

gas mileage-draw

Power-ls1 and response better to mods.

Reliability-lt1 iron block.

Engineering-ls1 better engine overall and higher top end torque.
Ironblock LS..
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Launching!

It's not about how fast AC, but how reliable. With all the time, money and countless hours you've dumped into that bucket of yours you should be in the single digits by now.

Threads like these give me a good laugh. It's almost like you LTx dorks need to post bullshit like this up to try and boost your ego's and make you think you LT1 purchase was really worth while.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by 323steel36
okay sure no prob.

gas mileage-draw What universe are you from if you think that? I have NEVER seen an LT1 get better mileage than an LSX. FACT.

Power-ls1 and response better to mods. Winner.

Reliability-lt1 iron block. You're fooling yourself, I'm not talking about block strength, it's how long it lasts as an entire being. Opti or water pump come to mind?

Engineering-ls1 better engine overall and higher top end torque. Overall? That imply that the LT1 had certain better engineered parts?

Ease of maintenance/repairs/building-ls1 . lt1 had water pump above opti which sucks and engine bay is cramped with no room to work with. They both have the same size engine bay...

Aftermarket-ls1 more aftermaket parts. Good Job.

Appearance-lt1 thats my opinion not a fact. While opinion based, you really like the look of that mess of an engine?

Availability-dont know what yo mean by availability. How easy are they to get? LT1's stopped being produced in 1997.

i would prefer either one i dont really care.

anyways i have an lt1 and it seems to me you do too? so whats your point? And no im not hating on ls1s.
I don't have an LT1, nor an LS1. I have their successor. My point here is to get you to realize what is what, and what your reasons for believing that something that is outdated is better, when it is clearly not. I'm not hating on anything either, just trying to put this ******* old topic to rest.
My other responses in bold...
Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
The next person that starts this kind of thread needs to be banned.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
this thread has gone on long enough. i cant believe that these dont just get instantly locked
Agreed again.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

seems like the people who actually argue about this topic either have stock cars or run no better than 12's

Everyone else (LS and LT owners alike) that actually know their stuff and have a decent build going on and race their car could give two *****.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
...I prefer LT1, they sound like sex and I love the low end grunt.
Amen about the sound.

Nobody here can argue the LT1 is as good as the LS1 (all joking aside and in all seriousness, the Gen III platform catapulted the SBC into new heights never before even dreamed about). Think about it: who would have imagined a 427cid pushrod small bock 15 or 20 years ago that made FIVE HUNDRED horsepower? (Which idles and purrs like a Cadillac, with completely streetable manners)

The ONLY thing the LT1 has got over all Gen III+ motors is the SOUND. You simply cannot touch us when it comes to the exhaust note. Even Mustang’s have it right – they had it mastered with the old school 302 Fox bodies and even though Ford engine technology has also transformed since even (more so since they went from pushrod to DOHC) the newer stangs and Cobra’s sound almost as great as those old 5.0’s…

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
Just saying...

I think everyone in my office now knows I am not working, because I just laughed so loud & hard at this pic. Efen priceless!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
hahahahaha
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Most of my f-body friends here drive ls1's I am one of the lone lt drivers, I am slower sure but if someone ***** with me and I know I cant beat them I just let one of my ls1 brothers handle my dirty work while i sit back and look pretty.

SO my point is I love lt1's and I love ls1's. /thread

-Buddy-
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by carlos64030
You apparently have yet to grasp the concept, "Work smarter, not harder".
Oh no I grasp that concept lol, but I dont always agree with it. I love working on my car and I love the fact that I have made it what it is now. Yes I worked harder, but that just gives me more pride in what I built. I wouldnt trade that feeling for the world.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
It's not about how fast AC, but how reliable. With all the time, money and countless hours you've dumped into that bucket of yours you should be in the single digits by now.

Threads like these give me a good laugh. It's almost like you LTx dorks need to post bullshit like this up to try and boost your ego's and make you think you LT1 purchase was really worth while.
This is indeed a stupid thread. Very few people will disagree. But as long as the thread was permitted to stay open a lot of us have had some fun – these threads give everyone a laugh, not just you BBTA. Its fun to trash talk sometimes as long as its in good spirit.

But I take exception to your blanket statement that “us” LTx guys are all dorks. I will argue there are far more LSx dorks – legions in fact – who don’t know anything and cry when their bone stock cars with K&N filters can’t break into the 12’s. When you weed through the guys on either side to find the ones who are really into it, you find people who do what they do and work with the platforms/cars they have out of sheer passion, regardless of what others might be doing. A person isn’t a LOSER just because they don’t pursue the most advanced, up to date, or advantageous means to an end. If I wanted a quick car with little investment in time & money I’d find a bone stock ’03 Cobra, spend $500 (if that) on a new SC belt and a hand held tuner, get some new tires, and then go out and lay waste to countless ranks of bolt-on LSx drivers. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t feel any accomplishment.

Enthusiasts like us are committed to our cars/engines/projects by choice. Just like deciding to go NA or forced induction is a choice. The guy with the big blower may have an easier time going faster, but there will always be a much bigger smile on the NA guy’s face when he gets it right. Do you really think LT1 guys like me are stuck here? lol What’s ironic is that those LTx “dorks” you describe in your sentence – the ones who jump into LT1 cars b/c they think Optispark is GM’s version of VTEC – these are the same folks who train wreck and end up swelling YOUR dumb-*** ranks when they switch over. They become just another LSx owner who assumes their bolt-on car will be a sure 11 second monster, and then blame/accuse others when they can barely break into the 12’s.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
I have more cash tied up in my LT1's engine then your whole LS1 cars blue book value.
Baller to brag about that when you haven't ran it yet. Reminds me of those mouths who used to come out with nothing or some pile of **** on a trailer and broadcast real loud how they wouldn't take it off the trailer unless they could get a thousand dollar race. Not sure if it's a good idea to get into the mod-for-mod argument there, Chief. Anyone w/ a brain in their head knows w/ a couple grand all the money you have invested in your turd would mean about dick.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How fast are the LS1 owners in this thead?
mine is slow compared to your standards... but I gurantee not many lt1's out there that run 12.5, trapping 114-115 with bolt-ons only and are full weight with STREET tires! Again Im not bashing the LT, I loved mine... both are very capable platforms and can be made fast with enough money!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
/thread
I'm tellin you man, LT1 horn sounds like it came from a Caddillac or Buick, LS1 horn sounds like they took it off a mini cooper.

Originally Posted by the_merv
lol dick here's some ones I made

Last edited by myltwon; 03-04-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both are cool. Oh, this thread is stupid
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
LT1 cars will one day be seen as rare, and will be highly sought after. were the LSx cars will not. every one and their brother has one. and GM will build on that motor platform for no telling how much longer. dont get me wrong im a fan of the LSx motors and i know what they can do. but its so much more fun being the under dog.
That is seriously laughable. There is a reason LSXs are sought after and LTs aren't. Don't kid yourself. Nothing wrong with liking what you got, but be serious.

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Lt1's will be rare. = Fact. But they will not be sought after for it.

They already are rare. They will become more of a rarity as they all start dying off.

Mark my words leghumpers. LT1s will never be collected or similar. They will die old and alone.
Truth.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Kind of like how the 3rd gen L98's are highly sought after?

Originally Posted by jaycenk
One thing you have all forgotten about is one un debatable fact....
THE LT1 PAVED THE WAY FOR THE LS1 lol
there is no way around it Gm tried and tried to find ways to make the Original SBC better from the factory but in the end with the LT1 it showed them what to do and what not to do. so there the LT1 is the LS1's daddy. No way around it!!! You can pick friends but family is forever. No if ands or Butts about it lol.
I would own either one. Which ever one is cheaper lol.
Not really. The LT1 is really the older, under achieving, "could have been" brother of the LS1. An LT1 isn't far off from a SBC, and LS1 is just a SBC with some coils on top, plastic intake, tricky heads and a few other small things.

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
You can't really compare the two, the LT1 is a weird ****. Optispark and reverse cooling.
I prefer LT1, they sound like sex and I love the low end grunt.
I saw a stock dyno sheet comparison here years ago of LS/LT and an LS1 makes more peak torque and more torque down low as well. That feelign of big torque down low is exaggerated by the top end feeling sluggish.

In the end, LT1< LS1< plenty of other ****. The LS1 is old and outdated and the LT1 is just a step or 2 behind it. Not a big difference.

Why the hell isn't this locked yet?

edit: just to through some **** on the fire, I think an LT1 block has been faster than an LS1 block. Granted, there are obviously MUCH faster LSXs, but I don't think the LS1 has been faster (simply because we can go bigger so there's no need to stay small).
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myltwon
I call BS.

The LS1 would have ripped his dick off. He should put it in a L98, hard tug at first, then slow and steady with out having to worry about rpms ripping his **** off. Max speed of 4k should provied an awesome hummer.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

This thread is priceless if only for these halarious pics! Doesn't matter if they LT1 or LS1 jabs. Bravo!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DVS LT1

This thread is priceless if only for these halarious pics! Doesn't matter if they LT1 or LS1 jabs. Bravo!
lol thanks man

another thing that sucks about LS1s is the gauge cluster

the thing says ****** "Check Gages" god damn typo

Quick Reply: LT1's are better than LS1's