LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Istalled Timing marks Dot to Dot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Istalled Timing marks Dot to Dot?

I finished installing my cam and timing set last night and i installed them DOT to DOT, i was on shoebox web site and noticed that DOT/DOT puts the Crank at #6 TDC but when i checked mine im pretty sure i was at TDC #1 on compression (i had my finger on the hole) when i installed the new cam and gear set. Now im unsure if i should pull it all apart and turn the cam over 180 deg so the DOT is on the Top. I have install DOT to DOT in the past but not im just unsure if this is ok or not. The entire Top end is new and i started with a short block with #1 at TDC and i made sure i was on compression. Any help would be great Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Dot to dot, 12 and 6 makes no difference.
The following users liked this post:
headsup9550 (08-05-2022)
Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

pretty sure for the cam dowel pin to go into the timing gear and be dot to dot its pretty idiot proof.

cam timing gear should be 6 o clock and crank timing gear should be 12 o clock. and if your cam dowel pin is in the cam timing gear correctly it puts the cam at the correct position, it would be impossible for you to change it 180º and still be able to put the cam timing gear on.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
pretty sure for the cam dowel pin to go into the timing gear and be dot to dot its pretty idiot proof.

cam timing gear should be 6 o clock and crank timing gear should be 12 o clock. and if your cam dowel pin is in the cam timing gear correctly it puts the cam at the correct position, it would be impossible for you to change it 180º and still be able to put the cam timing gear on.
This would be true if your dealing with a stock style set. If it is a timing set with more than one places for the crank sprocket to go on then it can be screwed up; I have a set of melted headers to show for it. If it is a stock style timing set then it is just about idiot proof; Just put the crack sprocket where it goes and install the set with the crank dot at 12 o clock and the cam dot at 6 o clock.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read the instructions of your timing set...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trilkb

I Installed my timing set DOT/DOT,witch just means i have to adjust the valve for TDC#6 first instead of #1. I was not thinking clear when i posted,I am just stressed out about all the money i have into this build and making sure its good from the go.

As for the 180 i ment that i was 180 off of #1TDC because i installed the cam DOT/Dot instead of 12cam/6crank, witch put me at #6TDC instead. Lmfao Read the instructions to the gear set.... Thanks thats what helped me the most!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way you can still do #1 and #6 at the same time when adjusting rockers fyi. same when you have the other cylinders at TDC.

8 and 5.

7 and 4

3 and 2
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I knew you can do 1 / 6 at the same time cause the valves are closed, for some reason i was not thinking when i posted and thought i had screwed something up. But my heads out of my *** now and im almost completly done with the new motor install. just need to wrap the new headers, run the tranny lines and prime the motor.

Quick Reply: Istalled Timing marks Dot to Dot?