LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bent 2 Rods in my LT1 Stroker.. WHY

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm wondering how high it was revved..I can see putting the stock springs on it to idle it around and get it "driveable" to move..but beyond that it's got failure written all over it.

Oh and the Graphite Bearing Tensioners = win..like 20 rwhp.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Don't know about you but we don't exactly have shops pooring out circle track engines any more. They closed all of our tracks and even when they where here they would not touch a walk in street engine for a min 6 months or untill the season ended. so if they don't work on them alot how in the hell are you supposed to trust them? Again This is why mines on the stand right now. It came out of shop in North GA that does exactly what you are talking about. I gave him free reign last winter after waiting 6 months to build me a short block with LE2 heads and custom cam. It DOES come down to someone who knows how to build what they are building.
So besides the cooling holes through the block and heads what part of the valvetrain and recip assembly is so high tech that a guy that builds motors will just crap all over himself over??
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
So besides the cooling holes through the block and heads what part of the valvetrain and recip assembly is so high tech that a guy that builds motors will just crap all over himself over??
I got it..one piece Rear Main..
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

ok just got back from summit.. i got the Trick Flow TFS-21407200 PushRods, Comp Cams 787-16 Steel Retainers, and Comp Cams 26918-16 Valve Springs.. This is the Valve Springs Comp Recomended for the Cam so hopefully they will work and the mfd. Date on the tags says 01/10/11 so there new and hopefully not Mexican Springs.. Im kinda pissed at the shop because they tested the stock springs for lift and said it'd be fine and must not have looked at the duration.. There a pretty descent shop they sponsor the dragstrip and have a **** ton of cars running crazy numbers.. maybe it was a honest mistake IDK but i believe he's going to put everything on at no charge.. have to put off my dyno now because im low on funds that was about a 420 dollar trip so0o0o im hopeing for the best!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know about you but we don't exactly have shops pooring out circle track engines any more. They closed all of our tracks and even when they where here they would not touch a walk in street engine for a min 6 months or untill the season ended. so if they don't work on them alot how in the hell are you supposed to trust them? Again This is why mines on the stand right now. It came out of shop in North GA that does exactly what you are talking about. I gave him free reign last winter after waiting 6 months to build me a short block with LE2 heads and custom cam. It DOES come down to someone who knows how to build what they are building.
Where in N. GA?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Tallmadge, Oh I live about a hour n 30 to 45 min away depending on traffic
Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94z28
ok just got back from summit.. i got the Trick Flow TFS-21407200 PushRods, Comp Cams 787-16 Steel Retainers, and Comp Cams 26918-16 Valve Springs.. This is the Valve Springs Comp Recomended for the Cam so hopefully they will work and the mfd. Date on the tags says 01/10/11 so there new and hopefully not Mexican Springs.. Im kinda pissed at the shop because they tested the stock springs for lift and said it'd be fine and must not have looked at the duration.. There a pretty descent shop they sponsor the dragstrip and have a **** ton of cars running crazy numbers.. maybe it was a honest mistake IDK but i believe he's going to put everything on at no charge.. have to put off my dyno now because im low on funds that was about a 420 dollar trip so0o0o im hopeing for the best!
You should be good if the install is done correctly.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The size of the cam has very little to do with the spring requirements, in fact the larger the duration of the cam it could actually be EASIER on valve springs. Give me a .900 base circle and i'll bet i could have valves floating all over the place at <220 duration and less than .370 lobe.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Launching!

hope you get everything fixed.. u will love it then.. cammed lt1s are fun
Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Where in N. GA?
x2. Who was it?
there's still lots of dirt track around here and bad *** shops that build SBC motors.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
The size of the cam has very little to do with the spring requirements, in fact the larger the duration of the cam it could actually be EASIER on valve springs. Give me a .900 base circle and i'll bet i could have valves floating all over the place at <220 duration and less than .370 lobe.
Lol @ .900 base circle
Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Common @50 numbers like a websites listed lift and duration have little to do with a cams spring requirements for proper valvetrain control.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I guess I can see the logic to that statement, particularly on a cam that has symmetrical type lobes. A bigger duration would mean a nice long, smooth open and close. But these XFI lobes have pretty steep ramps - don't they hit max lift quicker and come down much faster?

I know if I could have fit the 292 in my engine I'd probably be spinning her to 7000 RPM ALL the time and likely wanting even more. Right now my PCM is set to shift at 6500 and if I shift her manually the rev limiters go to 7k. With the 292, even if theoretically the longer duration could make things easier on the springs, the likelihood of wanting to spin the mill even faster is what would hold the door open to valve float.

So the longer duration being easier on valve springs may be true in theory; In practice though...
You can make a 224 cam go 7000, and I keep this mid 240s cam down at 7000. So... I guess in practice it works too, considering I'm using the same springs as last year, with a larger duration cam and the same lobes. XFI lobes aren't as radical as most would make you believe. If you set them up right (joelster) they work. If you don't, they won't work which is true of any cam combination. The harder you push the envelope, the faster things get ugly. Just means you have to pay attention to what you're doing, which apparently is difficult for some/most on this board.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Jesus Christ ...... Stock springs to 918s ?!?! If 918s get recommended ONE
more time im gonna unleash holy hell of 918 failure threads !!! ******* pieces
of **** shouldve been discontinued after the first bad batches .....
You can start a spring failure thread for any spring out there. And the first big batch of 918 failures were when they were made by PAC that everyone loves so much today. If you want a cheap valvespring there are risks that go along with it.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well not sure if you know this or not but Nelson Bothers, NBS and a few othere shops around here can build you any kind of enigne you have the money for. We dont have circle tracks NO but we do have a drag strip SUNSHINE SPEED WAY and if you go there and talk to the right people you could find even more great shops in the area that know what there doing. In any performance engine out there 1st,2nd 3rd gen SBC if you upgrade one thing your going to need to upgrade something else. anyone who has ever modded an engine knows this, if you do it cheap then you get cheap results and blown up motors if you do reserch and take your time and ask the right ???? then you can make the dission on if the shop has the ability to do the work. If you go to a shop and say i want this cam or those heads and they dont tell you that you should get better pushrods, or your going to need matching springs then your at the wrong shop. When you buy a camshaft the cam card has the recommended parts to be used with that camshaft, it also says that if those parts or parts equal to those are not used then the warrantee is void. The first problem this guy did is poor reserch on the cam and the shop. the cam he has is too big for stock heads to begin with. and reusing stock valve train parts in a performance apllication is just asking for problems.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I'm really surprised you are running the XFI292 and getting away with their 918 bee hive springs. Well, I mean "bad batches" aside (this is the first I've ever heard about that) I'm sure you are making power and everything, but have you ever dyno'd your car? Did you see any indications of valve float?

When I was getting ready to drop in the smaller XFI280 in my 383 I was told by just about everyone I spoke to (notably LE and AFR) that CC's recommended bee hive spring were far too weak to effectively control the valve train with this XFI lobes. Otherwise the 918 springs would have been on my CC order along with the new lifters, pushrods, and rockers I called in. Heck I even dropped in AFR's rev kit just to be safe.

The springs I went with ended up measuring close to 160lbs closed and almost 420lbs open pressure installed, even though on paper I think their specs were supposed to be well under 150/400. So I know depending on how you install the springs you can end up measuring slightly different pressures. But I guess therein lies the key: MEASURING.

I can't even begin to comment on the OP's situation... its almost unbelievable... running com's biggest XFI cam with STOCK springs???
I shift at 68-6900rpm, so if I had any valve float it would have shown up. See sig for track numbers.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They need to put a big warning label on the cam box or card.
*USE OF THIS CAM WITH STOCK SPRINGS IS NOT RECOMMENDED*
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS Sick
You know what your right there isn't. After sitting and looking at the gen one heads and gen 2 heads last night I was misinformed. I pay someone who is supposed to know what they hell they are doing but time and time again I end up with problems. I don't understand why I have to keep learning everything there is to know about the different systems when I pay someone with good track record to know it for me. That is why I pay them right? So my apologies for being miss informative. Not being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Well not sure if you know this or not but Nelson Bothers, NBS and a few othere shops around here can build you any kind of enigne you have the money for. We dont have circle tracks NO but we do have a drag strip SUNSHINE SPEED WAY and if you go there and talk to the right people you could find even more great shops in the area that know what there doing. In any performance engine out there 1st,2nd 3rd gen SBC if you upgrade one thing your going to need to upgrade something else. anyone who has ever modded an engine knows this, if you do it cheap then you get cheap results and blown up motors if you do reserch and take your time and ask the right ???? then you can make the dission on if the shop has the ability to do the work. If you go to a shop and say i want this cam or those heads and they dont tell you that you should get better pushrods, or your going to need matching springs then your at the wrong shop. When you buy a camshaft the cam card has the recommended parts to be used with that camshaft, it also says that if those parts or parts equal to those are not used then the warrantee is void. The first problem this guy did is poor reserch on the cam and the shop. the cam he has is too big for stock heads to begin with. and reusing stock valve train parts in a performance apllication is just asking for problems.
Please by all means tell me a name you have had repeated success with. I will Pay them to fix my problem and make sure there aren’t any others lurking in the bottom end of this thing. The problem I have is I hear people say they have had success with so and so and not with this guy or the other and so I use the guy that they had success with and the work they do for me always ends up with problem. two 350's and a 360 latter and I can not seem to find someone in the Tampa area to do good work for me on engines. I can assemble but I do not do head work or pick cams. I can't own machining equipment, alignment racks, Tire balancers and mounting equipment. I don't have the room or the money lol. I'm so sick of having problems in every shop I go to not finding and fixing the problem when I tell them about it (THANKS MONSTER). That’s why this thing went to GA. I am not going to say his name because I have been hanging around his shop when I used to visit my father as a kid since I was 9. He did send me a care package to fix the problem but I found out This morning he didn't even build it. He outsourced it so I can't really put the blame on him for problem directly on him. He was pissed at me for not giving him the heads too lol. Guess I understand that but he was the one who said he was pressed for time so after waiting 9 months for him to start it I had the heads done by Lloyd lol. What ever I will see him this winter. Sorry for the thread jack op
Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i mentioned 2 places that can do what ever you may need, But i have a few more for you. FordSpeed on 66th street can build or do what ever you may need. I would not mention any place unless i have been there more than once and they did what the SAID they were going to. NBS does full restores to full drag cars. Fordspeed same. As for nelson brothers They build sick *** motors any size any combo and they even go to the track to dial you in. Im sorry you have had problems in the past, so have i and im an ASE cetified tech and have gone to shops others said were great just to loose out on thousands of hard earned money.. I dont have a dyno either, or the big machines so i either use my works or find a shop that will allow me to or watch them like a hawk. Engine lab in tampa can build you an stock replacement engine but nothing hi po, V&M cylinder head can build and set up your head and he even flow's before and after he touches them.

And who ever posted they should mark the cam card stating stock springs will not work. Well as i stated before the cam card states recommended parts NEEDED for proper installation and the warrantee is void if not. I woukld think that states the stock parts wont work. but thats just me
Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Well i mentioned 2 places that can do what ever you may need, But i have a few more for you. FordSpeed on 66th street can build or do what ever you may need. I would not mention any place unless i have been there more than once and they did what the SAID they were going to. NBS does full restores to full drag cars. Fordspeed same. As for nelson brothers They build sick *** motors any size any combo and they even go to the track to dial you in. Im sorry you have had problems in the past, so have i and im an ASE cetified tech and have gone to shops others said were great just to loose out on thousands of hard earned money.. I dont have a dyno either, or the big machines so i either use my works or find a shop that will allow me to or watch them like a hawk. Engine lab in tampa can build you an stock replacement engine but nothing hi po, V&M cylinder head can build and set up your head and he even flow's before and after he touches them.

And who ever posted they should mark the cam card stating stock springs will not work. Well as i stated before the cam card states recommended parts NEEDED for proper installation and the warrantee is void if not. I woukld think that states the stock parts wont work. but thats just me
actually had my car dyno'd at fordspeed a couple times now, good shop with a good rep though I haven't had any work done by them I can't speak in that regard. as for Nelson, I believe there is two auto businesses under the name of Nelson in the Tampa area or atleast was until recently. One has a very good rep and the other I know people whom have had bad experiences with them. plenty of good shops around here where you wouldn't need to outsource anything out of the region let alone the state unless you were searching for a very specific product/company.

sorry for the thread hijack but where are you located? happen to have the turbo setup finished on your car as I would like to check it out some time if possible.

Quick Reply: Bent 2 Rods in my LT1 Stroker.. WHY