LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any easier way to get to my back passenger side spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Spark Plug replacement

At the moment my 97 Firebird Formula is on ramps in my driveway, finishing head gasket change, heads shaved, new lifters, rockers, and pushrods. I removed the cross over (cross under?) pipe just be able to remove the upstream O2 sensor for the driver's side. That made the driver's side easier from the bottom. I'm hoping the passenger side will go smoothly from the bottom as well, will do that today. Many things are difficult to access on a LT1 in the F-body cars. Laying across the engine to access things on the back of it make my ribs sore for days afterward. After this mild refresh at 151K miles I hope to not have to revisit anything any time soon.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Superman position...

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
If I recall correctly, the easiest way to get the rear passenger plug is to lay on top of the engine, and reach in from the top. I think someone even called it the "Superman" position.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...plugs-lt1.html

(Wow, I can't believe it was that long ago that I changed the plugs in my old LT1, LOL.)
You are absolutely spot-on correct Cheap Guy, I used the Superman position laying on a foam sheet and a doubled over blanket to protect the fender and my chest from the engine. My right hand could reach down in the gap between the inner fender and exhaust manifold. Threading them by hand first. Using a spark plug socket on a standard length ratchet I was able to get them in.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i made a quick disconnect harness for the starter, so I only had to remove the battery cable, it was a 1 minute job to get the starter off.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

LT headers make it virtually pain free as pain free can get working on a LT1. With Hookers I can get drivers side out from up top. Passenger side I get #2 and #4 from up top, 6y and 8 from underneath. Have to take the starter off, but I've always just taken the bolts out and let it dangle. One day the connectors will pull off I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Any easier way to get to my back passenger side spark plugs?