LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think im F'd. Milkshake.....Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
this really isn't hard, you just have to be willing to try. that's how a lot of us started. otherwise, why would you buy a car for 1k that has problems that you can't work on?
I was prepared to tackle the head gaskets. I wasnt prepared for pulling the engine and installing a new one. I was/still am hoping its just the head gaskets, but from what everyone is saying its looking grim.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

^ good point. gotta start somewhere.... how do u think the rest of us do it??
Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think whats intimidating me about a swap is knowing were all the electric connectors go, and what to look for/look out for.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

each individual connector is unique and can only be plugged into 1 spot. kinda hard to **** that up.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea find a bud, or a bud of a bud that has the tools and some knoledge and see if you can't work a trade out or maybe beer or what not.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tricked94camaro
each individual connector is unique and can only be plugged into 1 spot. kinda hard to **** that up.
did not realize that. im a little nervous about buying someone elses engine like the one on CL for fear of it being just as fucked as mine is. Let me ask this, what might i need to rebuild mine? or is that pretty much impossible to say without knowing exactly what happened to it?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Yea find a bud, or a bud of a bud that has the tools and some knoledge and see if you can't work a trade out or maybe beer or what not.
I recently moved for work and seriously know NO ONE within 500 miles of here. Im flying solo on this one.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
I think whats intimidating me about a swap is knowing were all the electric connectors go, and what to look for/look out for.
Dude thats the easy part because as long as you know where the main trunk goes (Only 3 of them) then everything else falls into palce.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
did not realize that. im a little nervous about buying someone elses engine like the one on CL for fear of it being just as fucked as mine is. Let me ask this, what might i need to rebuild mine? or is that pretty much impossible to say without knowing exactly what happened to it?
A good engine shop. Take it from me it is easier to find a bunch of **** tards that call thier selves engine builders than it is to find a true engine shop. Think I saw that Jegs or someone has remaned long blocks for around 2k. Yours has some serious question marks that need to be answered. Is the deck true? are the heads true? are the heads cracked? (they are know for this) Is the block solid and no cracks? If you can get these answered and the block and heads are good to go then you can just do head gaskets and what the guys are saying with cleaning out as much of that crap as you can. If not you will waist you time and be right back to where you are now. Since the kid sold you the car with a bad water pump most people don't know it's bad untill it's too damn late and damage done I would question those things. Check out my post of loosing radiator hose because of a failed clamp right after I finished fixing a leaking head gasket. I had know idea I lost the hose until it may have been too late. we shall se in the morning if I am fubared as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. go to autozone and buy the haynes manual for the 93-02 camaro/firebirds. READ IT THOROUGHLY!!
2. Go to harbor freight or sears, buy a full tool set with wrenches, sockets, and ratchets.
3. Look in the Eastern Members section and find someone willing to let you borrow a lift, or go buy one for $120.
4. It's not very hard to pull the motor, trust me...3 years ago I didn't even know what the intake manifold was, now I've completely torn down my car and am putting it all back together. Trust me, if I can do it you can also.
5. Once you pull the motor do some research on local engine builders, contact them and tell them you want a rebuild, decide whether you want a built badass motor or just a stock rebuild. Expect to pay anywhere from $1k to $2500 depending on what you want done, if your block isn't f*cked.
6. Post up any other questions and make sure to start a build thread when you start this project.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL2rytTraA
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gregrob
lol No mines better then yours because mines a frosty.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a sponsor that is in bear,de. right near you. http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/ from what i have heard they do awesome work.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jsteele90
heres a sponsor that is in bear,de. right near you. http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/ from what i have heard they do awesome work.
Thank you soooo much.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

It looks like I have about $1,500 to work with here. Now I have to figure out whats the best direction to go in with what im working with.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

whats that u were saying about the site being in the *******? lol Gawd that song sucks toilet turds!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsteele90

Don't even bother calling. I called them a couple of weeks ago about cam and possibly head install for my 97. They said they do not work on LT1's anymore. Too much of a pain to work on.

I can also pm you a list of shops I spoke with in the tri-state area that don't work on LT's anymore.

Best advice given is to just buy a manual and look on shoebox's site and work on it yourself. I would do mine myself but there is just no time between work, kids, house etc. I hate having it apart for weeks at a time because I can only get in there for an hour or two at a time.

Derek
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97 CAIVIAROSS
Don't even bother calling. I called them a couple of weeks ago about cam and possibly head install for my 97. They said they do not work on LT1's anymore. Too much of a pain to work on.

I can also pm you a list of shops I spoke with in the tri-state area that don't work on LT's anymore.

Derek
A list of ones that do might be more helpful
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the engine is hydro-locked from the water going in the engine, the engine is toast no way around it. Time for a build or another shortblock.

Quick Reply: I think im F'd. Milkshake.....Need Help.