LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think im F'd. Milkshake.....Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think im F'd. Milkshake.....Need Help.

This is going to be long, but i want to be detailed so hopefully someone can help me out here.

I just picked up a 95 z28 the other day that wasnt really running.It was dirt cheap so i didnt nit pick anything. The kid i bought it from said it had a bad water pump. I checked the radiator and it looked bone dry. He said it had been sitting for a couple months. I had to get it moved in the parking lot so a tow truck could get to it, so i threw a new battery in and it started right up. No knocks. No smoke. Sounded pretty good. Only let it run for like 3 minutes tops. Moved it about 150 feet and shut it down.

Had it towed home and swapped out the water pump, thermostat, and opti.I went to check the oil but the dip stick was broken.the cap was there but no stick. I wanted to flush the system so I just started pouring water into the radiator with the engine off. I could hear water just start pouring out, so I looked underneat and saw that the freeze plug on the drivers side of the block was gone and the water was just pouring out. So I went back to the store and got one and put it in. Filled the water up "which seemed like it took a TON of water" Turned the key and it fired right up. A little rough idle but sounded ok. The water level in the radiator dropped like a rock. I put more in as it was running and it started to "surge" up like it was bubbling. As it was doing this i also noticed some smoke/steam coming from the radiator fill neck, and steam/smoke was billowing out of the defrost vent inside the car. I had my brother in the car watching the temp. gauge and it only reached mid-way and just stayed there.

We shut the car off after running for about 10 minutes. watched the water level drop in the radiator and again tried to fill it up. Went to start it back up and it wouldnt turn over. I thought maybe it was out of gas because the gauge was all the way at the bottom. Put a gallon of gas in and it still didnt want to turn over. I got out and looked under the hood and noticed the vacuum line that attaches to the bottom side of the air intake wasnt on. I put it back on and tried again. The engine wouldnt turn over, but made a loud CLANG CLANG and I immediatly stopped. Something told me to look in the valve cover. On the passanger side valve cover is a tall vent like tube. I took the cap off and it looked like thick yellow milkshake. I mean like FULL. I just walked away.

I did not notice any smoke out of the exhaust at all. Not sure what to do next. I have limited mechanical ability and lack proper tools to do much else. From my description does anyone have any idea of wtf is going on?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it back to the kid, and get your money back. make sure he know's to never f*** with anyone again.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I paid $1,000 for a spotless red 95 z with mint black leather interior. The dash isnt even cracked, nor is the driver seat ripped.

The engine on the other hand. I dont know wtf to do with it. Any chance its something minor, or is it toast?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say it's toast, but definitely get some other people's opinions. I am just giving my opinion on what I would do. Either way, good luck.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Teching In

drain the oil since the dipstick is broke and see if there is water in your oil,first thing id do.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
I paid $1,000 for a spotless red 95 z with mint black leather interior. The dash isnt even cracked, nor is the driver seat ripped.

The engine on the other hand. I dont know wtf to do with it. Any chance its something minor, or is it toast?

Worth every penny even with a popped motor,lt1's are getting cheap.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 90_300zxTT
drain the oil since the dipstick is broke and see if there is water in your oil,first thing id do.
And if there is/isnt?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine crank case and lifter valley filled to the top with coolant or just the tube? Check the freakin oil man. Even if the dip stick part is broken off pull it off and check it. You need to make sure it's not milkshake in the crank case. 1000 isn't bad for a good condition roller but it woulkd be nice if the engine isn't absolutley Fubared.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And if there is/isnt?
Theres going to be, if you said theres yellowish milkshake. I'd say part it out, you can easily double your money
Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Is the engine crank case and lifter valley filled to the top with coolant or just the tube? Check the freakin oil man. Even if the dip stick part is broken off pull it off and check it. You need to make sure it's not milkshake in the crank case. 1000 isn't bad for a good condition roller but it woulkd be nice if the engine isn't absolutley Fubared.

The oil dipstick is broken. The yellow dipstick cap is there but no stick. I looked down into the tube and dont see anything. I took the breather tube cap off the passanger side valve cover and looked inside. It is full of thick yellow colored gunk.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a motor off craigs list for around 500 bucks and either throw it in or go thru and freshen it up and then throw it in...then set that one on a stand and start a build
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
get a motor off craigs list for around 500 bucks and either throw it in or go thru and freshen it up and then throw it in...then set that one on a stand and start a build
Thats a good thought in theory, but I have absolutely no faith in my ability to do a engine swap alone, nor do i have the tools required.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't that big of a deal. If the car is as nice as you say it is, just pull the motor if it's jacked up and have it rebuilt for $1,500 or a little more.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

What i dont understand is why did the car start up and sound perfectly fine with no coolant in it even if only for a few minutes, and then after fixing the water pump and putting water in, this happens? I dont get it. Is there a list of possible problems here, or is it cut and dry headgasket or blown engine or????
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
He did mention he has little mechanical experience. So maybe engine swap is out of the picture
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the event I took this to a shop to have them rebuild it, what would you guys think i would be looking at parts and labor?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

is your friend when you're learning to work on your own car.

Last edited by carlos64030; 04-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the event I took this to a shop to have them rebuild it, what would you guys think i would be looking at parts and labor?
If you have can, pull the motor yourself and take it to someone for a rebuild. You can have a freshly built motor for less than 2k.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by carlos64030
If you have can, pull the motor yourself and take it to someone for a rebuild. You can have a freshly built motor for less than 2k.

there is 0 chance i can pull the motor myself. Is there any chance its just the head gaskets? I can probably figure out how to do those.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it unrealistic to think that if i can somehow get the engine out, that i can rebuild it myself without totally f'ing it up?

Quick Reply: I think im F'd. Milkshake.....Need Help.