LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sigh more 383 problems. Fall down go boom

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011 | 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
now i did........yea whats the deal with no dipstick??? this may sound dumb but there is oil in it right???
Dipstick wouldn't clear the main cap so it's blocked off. And yes there is oil in it.
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Dipstick wouldn't clear the main cap so it's blocked off. And yes there is oil in it.
yea mine did the same with the billet 4 bolt caps...... just a suggestion cut like an inch off the botom of the dipstick tube and it clears just fine
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

yea mine did the same with the billet 4 bolt caps...... just a suggestion cut like an inch off the botom of the dipstick tube and it clears just fine
Tried it. Still doesn't clear.
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Tried it. Still doesn't clear.
really??? what the hell are you running for main caps?? my caps are monsters and cutting the tube back made it clear just fine
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

heres a pic of it from the bottom.........kinda hard to see but u can see on the left side where i just cut it back so it didn't hit......
Old 05-20-2011 | 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

heres a pic of it from the bottom.........kinda hard to see but u can see on the left side where i just cut it back so it didn't hit......
Trust me it won't clear. Hehe. I did all that. Even the stick itself doesn't clear.
Old 05-20-2011 | 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

Trust me it won't clear. Hehe. I did all that. Even the stick itself doesn't clear.
odd........when u got the pan off grab some pics......just whatever you do dont do what i did the first time i built my motor......i put the tube in and then bent it after i put it in so it would clear.......about 6 months later i went to pull the header off and realized i couldn't pull the dipstick out because i ben the end inside the motor......then realized i couldn't pull off the pan cause of the stroker crank and all the pan baffles and stuff it wouldnt drop low enough to come off .......then i went to lift the motor up so it would and my single plane intake was going through my windshield...........long story short i pulled the motor out for a goddamn oil dipstick lol
Old 05-20-2011 | 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

odd........when u got the pan off grab some pics......just whatever you do dont do what i did the first time i built my motor......i put the tube in and then bent it after i put it in so it would clear.......about 6 months later i went to pull the header off and realized i couldn't pull the dipstick out because i ben the end inside the motor......then realized i couldn't pull off the pan cause of the stroker crank and all the pan baffles and stuff it wouldnt drop low enough to come off .......then i went to lift the motor up so it would and my single plane intake was going through my windshield...........long story short i pulled the motor out for a goddamn oil dipstick lol
For a variety of reasons I just had it towed to the builder and I'm going to let him fix it.

If it's something he misassembled or a part failure (defect... though I doubt it with all the money I spent on parts) he should fix it. I will say that I'm going to build my own next time though.

Why tow it home if I might need to have it towed again?

I'm saving up for a house (only renting a house right now and it doesn't have a garage) so I don't want to deal with pulling the transmission (and possibly engine) in the driveway again. Especially with all the crazy weather we're having in WI... cold... wind... rain... heat... thunderstorms... etc

Also the car being at the builder's shop will give him motivation to hurry up. LOL.
Old 05-20-2011 | 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like bottom end let loose
Old 05-20-2011 | 03:54 PM
9 Second Club

For a variety of reasons I just had it towed to the builder and I'm going to let him fix it.

If it's something he misassembled or a part failure (defect... though I doubt it with all the money I spent on parts) he should fix it. I will say that I'm going to build my own next time though.

Why tow it home if I might need to have it towed again?

I'm saving up for a house (only renting a house right now and it doesn't have a garage) so I don't want to deal with pulling the transmission (and possibly engine) in the driveway again. Especially with all the crazy weather we're having in WI... cold... wind... rain... heat... thunderstorms... etc

Also the car being at the builder's shop will give him motivation to hurry up. LOL.
haha yea i hear ya im in the same boat right now...........im slowing down on my car so i can get a house myself......yea i agree it is tough to work on stuff like that......luckly my dad has a nice garage at home that i use......building your own stuff is a great way to learn.....do it once do it right!!

post up some pics im really curious to see what happened.....like i said im betting on you finding a connecting rod in the oil pan.... :puke:
Old 05-20-2011 | 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

post up some pics im really curious to see what happened.....like i said im betting on you finding a connecting rod in the oil pan.... :puke:
I talked to the builder today. He said there was oil pressure when he cranked it but NO fuel pressure at all. My fuel pump is stock/OEM, but my engine is just small heads (unported trickflow) and small blower cam so it should have been sufficient. I also went through this BS when I had a misfire (checked fuel pressure... it was 43 psi but now builder says there is NONE).

I do have Lonnie's dual fuel pump kit but I was waiting to install it until I got it up and running reliably.

So here's my new theory: fuel pump died which caused lack of top end and the bang (detonation) and also shut the car off.
Old 05-20-2011 | 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

doesn't work like that, at least with the banging and no oil pressure
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:25 PM
On The Tree

If fuel pump shuts down. Car turns off. Doesn't crank. Will be no loud pop. Builder screwed up. Doesn't want to make it right. Don't waste your money on this yahoo any more!
Old 05-21-2011 | 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white ghost
If fuel pump shuts down. Car turns off. Doesn't crank. Will be no loud pop. Builder screwed up. Doesn't want to make it right. Don't waste your money on this yahoo any more!
i agree. Dont let him **** you around just because your a woman. If only i were closer....
Old 05-21-2011 | 07:29 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Builder said this was normal until all the air got out of the oiling system.
Where did you find this clown? Did you ask for references before handing your motor over to him?
Old 05-21-2011 | 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Where did you find this clown? Did you ask for references before handing your motor over to him?
Yeah foir real this sounds like a typical BS shoppe who claims he has the knowledge and wants to cover his *** at every turn.

if I were you, I would have been THERE when the pan got pulled. Towing it to a builder and letting him take it apart is giving him a license to LIE about what happened. Fuel pressure and no oil pressure.. LOL did you put the injector fuse back in before you dropped it off?

The last time I heard a bang and had no oil pressure (LOL) ....
Old 05-21-2011 | 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

quik are those howards caps? They look dam sexy
Old 05-21-2011 | 08:05 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

It's not so uncommon for a SBC to have a little valve train clatter at startup until the oil works it's way through the pushrods. Some have it-some don't. The builders explanation of "air in the system" is a pretty good answer and may be right on the money. I think you guys are prematurely bashing the builder. Roxy does her homework and wouldn't have given him the work if he was questionable, had no recommendations or a bad reputation.

(re: quik95LT1's photo) This is an engine with factory-style four bolt mains, IOW, all four bolts are straight. When using splayed outer bolt main caps, they may obstruct the dipstick tube. Roxy, which main bolt style do you have?

I'm leaning towards this being a fuel issue.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 05-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
It's not so uncommon for a SBC to have a little valve train clatter at startup until the oil works it's way through the pushrods. Some have it-some don't.

(re: quik95LT1's photo) This is an engine with factory-style four bolt mains, IOW, all four bolts are straight. When using splayed outer bolt main caps, they may obstruct the dipstick tube. Roxy, which main bolt style do you have?
Not true. im using splayed caps. Lots of room

Last edited by Nastyc4; 05-21-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 08:17 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK. In that case, it'll remain a mystery unless a pic of the main cap blocking the tube is posted. Weird.

Quick Reply: Sigh more 383 problems. Fall down go boom