LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sigh more 383 problems. Fall down go boom

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah either he has wrong sbc caps on it that extend further out to the sides.. I dont know how his oil pan would fit though.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
It's not so uncommon for a SBC to have a little valve train clatter at startup until the oil works it's way through the pushrods. Some have it-some don't. The builders explanation of "air in the system" is a pretty good answer and may be right on the money. I think you guys are prematurely bashing the builder. Roxy does her homework and wouldn't have given him the work if he was questionable, had no recommendations or a bad reputation.

(re: quik95LT1's photo) This is an engine with factory-style four bolt mains, IOW, all four bolts are straight. When using splayed outer bolt main caps, they may obstruct the dipstick tube. Roxy, which main bolt style do you have?

I'm leaning towards this being a fuel issue.
I agree that its not uncommon for an sbc to clatter the first time you start it after a rebuild , but it shouldn't do it more than the first..maybe second crank. If it was just the car not running I would agree that it was fuel or spark. But no oil pressure and boom equals structural failure of some part most likely inside the block. And even more likely around the crank inside the block(being the car died and would come back online).
Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch Sorry Roxy! I hope its nothing major. I could be the fuel pressure if the car died and the oil pressure gauge wasnt getting power when you looked at it. Bad part is you said you turned it back on and there was no pressure. Was the car running the second time?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
I talked to the builder today. He said there was oil pressure when he cranked it but NO fuel pressure at all. My fuel pump is stock/OEM, but my engine is just small heads (unported trickflow) and small blower cam so it should have been sufficient. I also went through this BS when I had a misfire (checked fuel pressure... it was 43 psi but now builder says there is NONE).

I do have Lonnie's dual fuel pump kit but I was waiting to install it until I got it up and running reliably.

So here's my new theory: fuel pump died which caused lack of top end and the bang (detonation) and also shut the car off.
yeaaaa i dont know about that one.......if you crank it and dont have at least 10psi something is wrong.....ive got 35psi with in 2 seconds of cranking mine.........id go down to the builder and have him show you before he takes anything apart.....i dont buy it.......loosing fuel pressure doesnt cause a bang and then a loss of oil pressure ......

where are you located???

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
quik are those howards caps? They look dam sexy
Yep ........Thanks!!!!

Not true. im using splayed caps. Lots of room
agreed......Splayed caps may actually give more room with the bolts angled in like that.....

Yeah either he has wrong sbc caps on it that extend further out to the sides.. I dont know how his oil pan would fit though.
yea seems odd........
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
agreed......Splayed caps may actually give more room with the bolts angled in like that.....
The only thing I had my dipstick hit (and I have splayed mains) was the aftermarket windage screen, trimmed it up and no problems.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok some updates/comments:

Regarding the dipstick:

Part of it may be the windage tray. I believe the caps are pro-grams but they may be for an older SBC. The machinist is apparently a grumpy old **** who only does things one way.

Regarding fuel/oil pressure:

Ok the fuel pressure turned out to be a VATS problem. This car has only given me a VATS problem 3 times in the 10 years I've owned it, two of those times are when the builder had the car or was over at my house.

It has fuel pressure. It has oil pressure. The problem is apparently that the McLeod master cylinder wasn't adjusted correctly. I had it on right myself but then it started leaking so I had the shop that did my alignment fix the leak (kicking myself for not following the "if you want something done right"). Well apparently the alignment guy took the whole thing apart and didn't adjust it correctly. I'm still trying to understand how this caused the problem exactly - but I will make the builder go for a ride with me after he "fixes" it. Maybe it will go

I don't think he's trying to jerk me around. He is one of the reputable local builders and the reason I went with him is he built my friend's 355. He says the engine itself is idling/running/revving fine.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Ok some updates/comments:

Regarding the dipstick:

Part of it may be the windage tray. I believe the caps are pro-grams but they may be for an older SBC. The machinist is apparently a grumpy old **** who only does things one way.

Regarding fuel/oil pressure:

Ok the fuel pressure turned out to be a VATS problem. This car has only given me a VATS problem 3 times in the 10 years I've owned it, two of those times are when the builder had the car or was over at my house.

It has fuel pressure. It has oil pressure. The problem is apparently that the McLeod master cylinder wasn't adjusted correctly. I had it on right myself but then it started leaking so I had the shop that did my alignment fix the leak (kicking myself for not following the "if you want something done right"). Well apparently the alignment guy took the whole thing apart and didn't adjust it correctly. I'm still trying to understand how this caused the problem exactly - but I will make the builder go for a ride with me after he "fixes" it. Maybe it will go

I don't think he's trying to jerk me around. He is one of the reputable local builders and the reason I went with him is he built my friend's 355. He says the engine itself is idling/running/revving fine.
huh......thats kinda odd...........from the description you posted i swore it was toast........so what caused it to just shut off at 4000 then??? clutch broke and locked it up???
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

huh......thats kinda odd...........from the description you posted i swore it was toast........so what caused it to just shut off at 4000 then??? clutch broke and locked it up???
It didn't shut off at 4000. It just sputtered and had no guts. I let off, shifted out of 1st, it still sputtered, then it went bang and shut off like 5-10 seconds later at 1500-2000 maybe.

And yeah he said my pressure plate or fork might be toast but since they were able to drive it up on the rack he thinks its probably ok.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Rosy, this isn't a knock at you. Just an observation. Isn't it funny how one persons description of events invokes such a response. Yet that description is just ever so different from the sounds. Like, the motor went bang, vs boom. Lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by white ghost
Rosy, this isn't a knock at you. Just an observation. Isn't it funny how one persons description of events invokes such a response. Yet that description is just ever so different from the sounds. Like, the motor went bang, vs boom. Lol.
lol anybody who comes to me and says i was on the throttle and at 4000rpm i heard a noise and lost oil pressure and it shut off i would say pull the pan off.........boom bang clack snap kapow......doesnt matter lol
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I had it towed it back to the builder for now... but no it wasn't leaking any fluid. I didn't check the oil after the kaboom (no dipstick) and had it towed back to the builder. I had to walk 2 miles home barefoot (dumb, I know, I should have kept my cell with me).

And all the ignition/fuel components are good.
One day.....in an imaginary world.....I'm going to pull up next to a barefoot girl walking 'cause her built camaro is down and she needs a hand. Hey....it's a southern thing. (Of course my fiance would ask where she is in this imaginary world!!)

I sure hope everything is alright with your engine. Clutch issues can really give you alot of grief.

Last edited by 1961ba427; 05-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

lol anybody who comes to me and says i was on the throttle and at 4000rpm i heard a noise and lost oil pressure and it shut off i would say pull the pan off.........boom bang clack snap kapow......doesnt matter lol
Haha. I agree. But there's a big difference between "I was at 4k rpms and it went boom and I lost oil pressure " vs. " I was at 4k rpms and it went boom, then it idled down to 1500 rpms and stayed between there and 2k for 10-15 seconds and shut off." First indicates structural destruction of key components. The second indicates a problem exists that wont let your engine run properly.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Weird turned out I had a bad coil. I just took it out and let her rip it seemed ok. No knock on start up anymore either
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by white ghost
Haha. I agree. But there's a big difference between "I was at 4k rpms and it went boom and I lost oil pressure " vs. " I was at 4k rpms and it went boom, then it idled down to 1500 rpms and stayed between there and 2k for 10-15 seconds and shut off." First indicates structural destruction of key components. The second indicates a problem exists that wont let your engine run properly.
FWIW it didn't even boom at 4k. It boomed at like 1500 and either coasting or barely touching the gas pedal. It just had no guts at 4k so I let off.

Last edited by Z28Roxy; 05-30-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

im battling an issue like this right now on mine.......high rpm breakup.......loss of power......odd idle charestics........ordering a coil tomorrow its gotta be it
Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

im battling an issue like this right now on mine.......high rpm breakup.......loss of power......odd idle charestics........ordering a coil tomorrow its gotta be it
I gave mine like AT LEAST 80% throttle all the way up to 6k and it seemed fine earlier today.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm happy for you that you figured this out. Even more happy that it turned out to be something simple and inexpensive.

I had a wierd ignition problem with the solid roller bbc in my 61 a few years back that drove me nuts for awhile. I never quite figured out what was going on, but a distributor ended up fixing it....despite the fact that the same other distributors (4 before the problem was resolved) work fine in other engines I have.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray it!!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gregrob
Boost it!!
Fixed for what it was built for

Quick Reply: Sigh more 383 problems. Fall down go boom