LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best headers and exhaust

what is the best headers and exhaust for my lt1 i just bought today, i want mine to sound louder and meaner then my boy friends, i dont really have a budget so can you throw me a few numbers and set ups please.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hooker headers i believe is one of the best fitting headers and y pipe then do slp loudmouth1 catback nothing will be louder other then open header
Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I have Kooks long tubes and y pipe (3.5" if I recall correctly) all ceramic coated, with straight through 'cat' and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. It sounds really nice. When I bought it all new (a long time ago) I think it probably put me back around 2k... But I don't really remember. The only thing I would consider changing to is custom big true dual. But my setup on the TA doesn't really call for an exhaust upgrade at the moment.

Mere volume / loudness isn't the best goal though, case in point, most Mustangs that I think sound like garbage...

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Open Kooks headers would be sick.

If you need a full exhaust set up get a good set of LT's. Such as Kooks, pacesetter ect. buy a universal x pipe from summit racing to make it a true dual and throw up some bullet mufflers, like SLP. May not have the best tone, but will be loud.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by va camaro girl
what is the best headers and exhaust for my lt1 i just bought today, i want mine to sound louder and meaner then my boy friends, i dont really have a budget so can you throw me a few numbers and set ups please.
longtubes, offroad y pipe, and like stated above LMI or II.
or just go with a cutout before any catback and it would be pretty loud. I'm running longtubes, with an o/r Y and a tsp rumbler cat back. Sounds loud but has a better tone than the loudmouth in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM

What's really the difference between kooks and pacesetter besides the price.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a catback, go with GMMG(Madhammer) exhaust. It's one of the meanest sounding exhausts out.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95-1LE-Z28
If you want a catback, go with GMMG(Madhammer) exhaust. It's one of the meanest sounding exhausts out.
oh of course how could i have forgotten. I always ruled out gmmg because of the price but, i agree it's the meanest sounding exhaust for a stock/ bolt on car.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't go with the hookers in my opinion. I'm on my second set cause I bought some used coated ones and the slip tube leaks on both sets
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 AM

I've got hooker header with a custom y pipe with a cut out on each side. People on my block dont like the cut outs, except for the few gearheads.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 AM

I had a set of Edelbrock shorties on my 95. I liked em. Sealed well and a huge power increase. Had the american thunder series flowmaster after them. Sounded great.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

What's really the difference between kooks and pacesetter besides the price.
Name, quality, and fitment. Wont notice much difference as far as sound and power gains with any LT header.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Open Kooks headers would be sick.

If you need a full exhaust set up get a good set of LT's. Such as Kooks, pacesetter ect. buy a universal x pipe from summit racing to make it a true dual and throw up some bullet mufflers, like SLP. May not have the best tone, but will be loud.
open kooks would be a cop in your rear view before you make it out of the neighborhood lol.....as for true duals.......sounds great but its alot of fabrication......

The best easiest way out would be a set of Kooks 1 3/4" headers with the Kooks True Dual Exhaust system.......you're gonna spend a few bucks but its the way to go.....i just did a system like this with a friend of mine on his LS camaro....sounds awesome!!!

for a bit less $$ go Hooker Super Comp Headers with a Loudmouth Exhaust......I ran hooker's on mine for a few years and they worked great untill i started making some serious power numbers......

Originally Posted by Black1995LT1
I had a set of Edelbrock shorties on my 95. I liked em. Sealed well and a huge power increase. Had the american thunder series flowmaster after them. Sounded great.
Dont run shorties..........no reason once so ever to......wont make as much power as the LT's or sound as good........

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Name, quality, and fitment. Wont notice much difference as far as sound and power gains with any LT header.
Yep.......on a stock motor the power gains from one header to another will be minimal......
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
open kooks would be a cop in your rear view before you make it out of the neighborhood lol.....as for true duals.......sounds great but its alot of fabrication......

The best easiest way out would be a set of Kooks 1 3/4" headers with the Kooks True Dual Exhaust system.......you're gonna spend a few bucks but its the way to go.....i just did a system like this with a friend of mine on his LS camaro....sounds awesome!!!

for a bit less $$ go Hooker Super Comp Headers with a Loudmouth Exhaust......I ran hooker's on mine for a few years and they worked great untill i started making some serious power numbers......

Dont run shorties..........no reason once so ever to......wont make as much power as the LT's or sound as good........

Yep.......on a stock motor the power gains from one header to another will be minimal......
It won't be stock for long I like to put a 503 comp cam in it so I like a header and exhaust set up that will go great with the cam and head work that will be done
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It won't be stock for long I like to put a 503 comp cam in it so I like a header and exhaust set up that will go great with the cam and head work that will be done
oh nice.....i love seeing girls get into this stuff lol..........

well yea in that case id def run a decent header then........either the hooker super comps or kooks........hookers are a bit cheaper but the kooks are a nice header...........i was running a hooker super comp last year PN# HOK-2231HKR

its a decent priced header and i was running deep into the 10's at over 130mph NA with them.......so they will support some BIG power.......bang for the buck they are the best bet.......

and if you are worried about a good flowing exhaust to make some power just not sound and you have the intention on heads and cam in the future I'd run either the kooks true dual system or some electric cutouts.......take my word for it from experience.........these cars loose major power through the Y pipe espically with engine modifications...........i experimented last year with mine and picked up 6mph just dropping my Y pipe........(my situation was a bit excessive) but it does make a big difference.....
Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just another option, I have Dynatech Ceramic Coated LT's on my car and they fit absolutely flawless on my car. They seal very well and it didn't require unbolting the motor to get them in. Only downside is that they are expensive and you have to buy the collectors seprately and get a custon y-pipe made.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacesetter LT's, 3" Summit X-Pipe, 3" dynomax bullets dumped. I have this and its the meanest sounding bolt-on car around.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
Pacesetter LT's, 3" Summit X-Pipe, 3" dynomax bullets dumped. I have this and its the meanest sounding bolt-on car around.
I had Super comps Summit X and some Magnaflows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQww..._order&list=UL

Nice and quite at a idle and cruse and sounded straight mean when you opened it up
Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I would say after the camshaft anything GMMG or SLP loudmouth is gonna be too loud and sound like a 1984 hillbilly truck with straight pipes that you can hear every cylinder fire as it goes by lol, if you like that sound, then go for it. Thats with long tubes and off road y pipe of course, and you could always tone the SLP down with a borla. Ive been the LT, O/R y pipe, SLP loudmouth route, its loud and it lasted about 2 weeks, the first week it was cool, the 2nd week i didnt want to drive it, but everyone has different taste. I remember getting on it through 2 gears and feeling like i could hear my exhaust bounce off and crackle/pop off of every leaf and tree i was near, sounded like the end of the world was comming out of those 2 pipes at the back.

To me i think a hooker/jet hot/pacesetter long tube headers and off road y pipe with a magnaflow cat back would be a great way to get started and down the road when the cam is in it should be to crazy. personally i lean towards the jet hot long tubes and hooker y pipe since i just got em, but the magnaflow is a product that will last and also sound good.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-640...ks-6400RHS.htm
These Kooks headers are made from T-304 stainless steel, they won't rot out on you.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-640...ooks-6402S.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-640...oks-6402MS.htm
Y Pipes, with an without cats.

I feel the Kooks headers are the best headers out there. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: best headers and exhaust