LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

big power n/a builds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I believe that the saying is, "You can't race a dyno".

I would add that you can't race a calculator either!

The OP needs to set a performance goal. Otherwise this thread doesn't make much sense. One man's idea of big power may not be the same as another's.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

It is possible to do quite well with the old LT platform as it is simply a classic small block. However, producing big #'s reliably it is typically beyond the point of diminishing returns for most guys. While the magic 500rwhp # is commonly discussed, and even predicted, documented cases are quite rare in reality.

This is doable while retaining the standard 23deg layout:
http://www.advancedinduction.com/Dyn...3octA4-SAE.jpg
http://www.advancedinduction.com/Dyn...3octA4-STD.jpg
http://www.advancedinduction.com/Dyn...ullBoltOns.jpg

It is also fairly expensive.

Gizmo is dead on - you need a realistic budget, and to then define some goals/constraints from there. Otherwise, you may end up with a never ending project that exists more in theory online than in reality in your garage.

For reference, whether chassis or engine dynos, they all vary somewhat due to test setup, methodology, calibration, etc. The 383 above managed 650-680 IIRC depending on dyno, fuel, and calibration.

Good luck w/ your project!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the saying is, "You can't race a dyno".

I would add that you can't race a calculator either!
But according to my dyno calculations I should beat your "stock" car right.

Last edited by fex77k; 06-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
But according to my dyno calculations I should beat your "stock" car right.
Bring it to the Shootout and find out!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club

what he said come race my 480rwhp car lol.....
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Convert it back to stock and I have $.65 on it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonShort
Although expensive, shaftmount rockers are beneficial on a hydraulic roller motor (a MUST on a solid roller).
I agree to a certain point. A mild solid roller (like what I am running) can get away with stud mount rockers and still retain a stable valvetrain, however for what is being discussed as big power in this thread it would be absurd to run anything but shaft mount.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
what he said come race my 480rwhp car lol.....
Yea numbers are definitely one thing and the track is something entirely different. I really need to get a roll cage in my convertible before I even touch the track with it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

So is my motor doomed? 13:1 383 AFR 210's solid roller but no shaft mounts? it has regular stud mount rockers and a stud girdle. This style combo worked on much bigger cams and many more rpm's on our big blocks........
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brngrhd
So is my motor doomed? 13:1 383 AFR 210's solid roller but no shaft mounts? it has regular stud mount rockers and a stud girdle. This style combo worked on much bigger cams and many more rpm's on our big blocks........
Not doomed. Flex is always your enemy. It all depends on how aggresive your cam is and what size studs you are using. Pushrods shouldn't be counted out either.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, you don't hear of 3/8"+ pushrods on LT1s, however shaft mounts are a total necessity I'd rather run a big pushrod, light valve, and titanium spring hardware for the cost of shaftmounts, gains per $ are much better.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe how overlooked pushrods are. The crappy ~$80 pushrods most run look like spaghetti at high rpms with any decent spring pressure.

I would guess a pretty big percentage of builds on the site will pick up more power and gain more rpms just by swapping their springs and pushrods.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Yea, you don't hear of 3/8"+ pushrods on LT1s, however shaft mounts are a total necessity I'd rather run a big pushrod, light valve, and titanium spring hardware for the cost of shaftmounts, gains per $ are much better.
But, in a perfect world, they are one more piece in the puzzle if you are looking for maximum power and reliability. If the rules allow them and you can afford them they are the best choice.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Yea I'm not discounting the benefits of shaft mounts, but for the $$$ they're pretty far down on the list! Especially when you consider decreasing valve-side mass will REDUCE rocker stud deflection.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

In my case I have to run shaft mounts. My valve spacing isn't stock. The intakes are offset. Even with an offset lifter and pushrod cup in the rocker arm, it's not perfectly straight. The intake rocker will have a tendency to slightly turn over a period of time. It's not something I want to chance. I could either spend $1100 on shaft mounts, or spend $350 on stud mounts along with $250 for a special stud girdle, and then a little extra for the offset lifters. In my case it was the best choice. If it were strictly a drag car maybe I would have gone with the stud mounted ones.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
I can't believe how overlooked pushrods are. The crappy ~$80 pushrods most run look like spaghetti at high rpms with any decent spring pressure.

I would guess a pretty big percentage of builds on the site will pick up more power and gain more rpms just by swapping their springs and pushrods.
That also depends on the pushrod length. Some of the solid lifter/link bar style HIPPO lifter bodys are much taller allowing to run a significantly shorter, small diameter pushrod with stud mount rockers.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

i run a 3/8" pushrod with a very...very...low valve side mass as well as a very light lifter and a jesel shaft system.....no matter which way you slice a stud is going to flex at high rpm and high spring rates/agressive profiles.......flex = power loss and engine damage.......even after two years of beating the snot out of mine 8000+ nearly every time i drove it.....the valve train looked perfect......i put it right back together and its running the same way now.............are shaftmounts necessary with a SR setup.......absolutly not...........would i highly reccomend them in a high rpm more agressive setup absolutly.......i DO NOT think they are a waste of money nor at the bottom of my mod list......durability must be a factor in designing of a valvetrain not just valve control......
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
I could either spend $1100 on shaft mounts, or spend $350 on stud mounts along with $250 for a special stud girdle, and then a little extra for the offset lifters.
This is a great example of fact. Shaftmounts being a couple hundred more is a no-brainer for the stability and power gain associated on a SR setup.

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i run a 3/8" pushrod with a very...very...low valve side mass as well as a very light lifter and a jesel shaft system.....no matter which way you slice a stud is going to flex at high rpm and high spring rates/agressive profiles.......flex = power loss and engine damage.......even after two years of beating the snot out of mine 8000+ nearly every time i drove it.....the valve train looked perfect......i put it right back together and its running the same way now.............are shaftmounts necessary with a SR setup.......absolutly not...........would i highly reccomend them in a high rpm more agressive setup absolutly.......i DO NOT think they are a waste of money nor at the bottom of my mod list......durability must be a factor in designing of a valvetrain not just valve control......
Exactly. Mike said it perfectly there. A number of people in this thread have started turning the focus off of the initial discussion on the benefits/gains associated with a shaftmount rocker system and onto the "necessity" of them. No one is saying that you HAVE to run shaftmount. An engine is not going to fail with a decent rocker (and/or girdle setup). I ran a stud girdle on my previous SR 396 and it did work fine. But, it's a fact that it would have gained power and valvetrain stability with a shaftmount setup.

A high HP NA motor is going to cost money. You take shortcuts, you have problems.

Tangible numbers? My mild hydraulic roller motor gained 12rwhp with changing to shaftmounts alone. Certainly a poor "bang for the buck", but that is not what this thread is about. I'll enjoy the extra power and stability.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Not doomed. Flex is always your enemy. It all depends on how aggresive your cam is and what size studs you are using. Pushrods shouldn't be counted out either.
im sure it is whatever comes on the 210 afr's for studs have not looked at them to be honest. cam is a 265 273 @ .050 .650I .631E on a 110LSA
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That also depends on the pushrod length. Some of the solid lifter/link bar style HIPPO lifter bodys are much taller allowing to run a significantly shorter, small diameter pushrod with stud mount rockers.
Not from what I've seen. I have a set of Comp 888-16's (with the oiling groove) sitting here, along with a pair of Comps with out the oiling groove, and a set of new Crower Maximus HIPPO lifters. All of the solid lifters have the pushrod recessed way down into the lifter body. The pushrod sits maybe 1.5" up from the wheel. The only thing "taller" about these lifters is the attachment arms are extended way up to clear factory roller blocks.

Quick Reply: big power n/a builds?