LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I sell my 1996 Caprice 9C1 LT1 because of emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey Forbes
do you have the link to the thread, seems interesting.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-live-hpt.html

I emailed the poster, and he said he is no longer using the 24X system, but is doing a full LSx swap; but still has to pass the plug in test. And should have the car running and being tested within a few months.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-live-hpt.html

I emailed the poster, and he said he is no longer using the 24X system, but is doing a full LSx swap; but still has to pass the plug in test. And should have the car running and being tested within a few months.
that's the main thing i was worried about, having a different pcm and engine and not being able to pass inspection.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

dude you realize you wanna sell your car because it prob has a dirty egr that is prob either stuck open or closed? take it off and clean it. or buy a new one. o2 sensors as well? come on man why ditch a perfectly good car when you can replace everything on there for like under 300 bucks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

yeah keep it hands down jus stick it out n youll b crusin in no time
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol emissions testing, wuts dat
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

Oh god, did someone say emission testing. Yeah, cali blows for that ****.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

If your vehicle is 1996 or newer you have to do emissions...
I have a 96. I get emissions tested every other year. I have zero emissions equipment on the car. I pass every time.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

can you delete the evap system?
and if i swapped a lsx engine in my car could i still pass emissions?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you delete the evap system?
and if i swapped a lsx engine in my car could i still pass emissions?
I'm not trying to be mean at all but, if you can't figure out if you will pass emissions, there is no way at all you will figure out an LSX swap.

An OBD2 plug in inspection is the easiest emissions inspection in the entire world to pass, just FYI.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume since u can't or don't Wana change your o2's or evap parts as needed to pass tests , then once you do a search on what it will take for a lsx swap.. U will find it takes turning wrenches, a money tree, skills, and research . And you will say **** it and give up. And as if the engine bay didn't look terrible enough from age, the ash tray plug is by far the crasiest under hood rig I've ever seen. Just sayn

Cough*
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Teching In

wow for all you people that don't think i'm capable of changing a evap purge solenoid and a few oxygen sensors your wrong. really my main concern is if i was able to delete the emission stuff of my car which i found you can but you just have to tune out all the bullshit out of the pcm.

what i'm really worried about is when i convert to a lsx engine and pcm will i be able to pass the obd2 inspection test. also i heard chicago is a simple test all they do is plug in the obd2 scanner and check for codes and if there are none you pass but there might be a visual inspection of the engine bay, cats, emission equipment etc.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume since u can't or don't Wana change your o2's or evap parts as needed to pass tests , then once you do a search on what it will take for a lsx swap.. U will find it takes turning wrenches, a money tree, skills, and research . And you will say **** it and give up. And as if the engine bay didn't look terrible enough from age, the ash tray plug is by far the crasiest under hood rig I've ever seen. Just sayn
actually your totally wrong, i've been planning a lsx swap for a very long time, before i even owned the car i had intentions of doing it. and for my famous ash tray mod i love when people get a laugh out of it and are able to ash there cigarette when then help me work on my car, it will soon be all replaced with a raiss ram air intake though.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

There will ALWAYS be a visual inspection... the trick to getting around this is just building a relationship with the tech, and a possible grease of his palm.

It's the plug-in test that's harder to pass. From what I've been told (although i can not get anyone in the know to confirm this) the VIN in the PCM must match what they scan/input into the test computer. I'm waiting to find out from the guy in the link I posted if he passes the plug in with a LSx computer in a LTx car.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to chime in, as I found this in my search. I have a 96 Impala SS and ALL of my emissions stuff is removed...including cats and I pass everytime with the plug in test. They don't really inspect them visually here in MD, well in my city, so I'm good. I'm swapping to the 24x setup as well, currently building a little 355 with some kick. I would suggest keeping the car, file an extension, and use that time to bypass all the emissions bull. Setup a manual with all the How-To stuff for the 24X setup and pick that thing apart.

You can do it....the info is right in front of you.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

man you ALL got it REAL bad, ------ Emissions????------ WT? is that, here in Kansas there ain't a farmer alive that could get his crop to market if he had to pass emissions. shesh what R you thinking, anyhow?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
There will ALWAYS be a visual inspection... the trick to getting around this is just building a relationship with the tech, and a possible grease of his palm.

It's the plug-in test that's harder to pass. From what I've been told (although i can not get anyone in the know to confirm this) the VIN in the PCM must match what they scan/input into the test computer. I'm waiting to find out from the guy in the link I posted if he passes the plug in with a LSx computer in a LTx car.
It should work, their systems ain't that sophisticated to tell what engine and PCM is in the car, all they test for is matching VIN numbers, some even test the BCM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If your vehicle is 1996 or newer you have to do emissions...
illinois is OBD2 emissions only. All you do is connect and if it passess it passess, even if it's the loudest thing for blocks.

so did it fail yet? if so, it cost $450 in repairs to basically get an exemption for two years. go take the test and look at the book they give you, you'll have all the info.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 1996 Caprice 9C1 LT1 because of emissions?