LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Easier Motor Swap for Z28: '94 Impala SS LT1 or '95 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easier Motor Swap for Z28: '94 Impala SS LT1 or '95 Corvette?

Hey all,

Unfortunately my '94 Camaro is in need of an engine . I pulled a running motor from a '94 Impala SS in hopes of transplanting it into the Z28. However, little did I know at the time, but the Impala SS uses a different head, different crank/balancer hub, and different water pump outlets. The shop that's helping me with the swap said it'll cost me extra to swap everything I need to make the motor compatible to drop into the Camaro.

I also know a guy selling an LT1 out of a '95 Corvette. He said the motor ran fine before being pulled, and that he only removed it to drop in a 396 with AFR 220 heads into his car. I know this engine should fit nicely in the Z28, but I believe Corvettes use a 4 bolt main and a different alternator setup. Also, does the Corvette engine have the correct water pump and crank/balancer hub for use in an F body?

I have two options for the Z28 at this point. It sounds like I may have to do some swapping either way I go. So should I use the Impala engine and pay them extra to help me swap everything over, or sell the Impala engine and use the Corvette engine instead?

Besides from the iron heads being heavier, the performance should be quite similar. Only varying by the cam. Though I'll probably be swapping in my Crane 227 camshaft and 1.6RRs into whichever motor I go with. So it comes down to the easier swap.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Corvette, diff hub , u could use the pump.. But it is however diff.. Diff accessory bracket... Get ur parts here on the forum or on eBay... 4bolts didn't come in all vetts... But are good to have... U dont want the impy heads,although they are supposed to flow better.. they heat soak and must be machined to upgrade valve train... And our aluminum heads dont
IMO go with the vett motor not the impy..

Last edited by defaultexistence; 08-01-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty much the same stuff has to be swapped, as covered above the accessories and damper depth are different.
The Vettes are however all supposed to be 4-bolt mains BUT by the time that is necessary you should be upgrading to aftermarket main caps anyway so little benefit there.

One snag I see though is that the iron heads may have valve seal clearance issues with a 227 cam and 1.6s, most guys will do staggered 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust with that cam on those heads.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with the Vette engine it will save you at the shop. The extra charge they "should" talking about is to put your heads on the Imp block. Take the vette engine in and all the have to do is put your water pump, acc. bracket, and damper hub (and damper) onto the new engine. If they want to charge you more than that then imo you should go somewhere else. Book time includes transferring all acc. in a long block swap...it even includes swapping intake manifolds, so they shouldn't have to add any more time unless they run into fastener issues, which shouldn't happen for ac.

good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Thank you everyone! Looks like I have a few choices.

Update: Too add another option to the mix, I finally found an Fbody LT1 for sale . Ironically Ybody and Bbody LT1's are all over the place here, but the Fbody LT1 is few and far between.

Unfortunately, I know '95 marked a change for the Camaro and Firebird LT1's. I believe they went from the non-vented opti spark, to a vented style. I'm not sure what else changed, but I'd imagine using a '95 Camaro in my '94 would be much easier to use than both the Impala or Corvette engine.

Did the '94 and '95 Fbody LT1's use the same crank hub and water pump design? Does it matter if the engine came out of an automatic transmission car (mine is an M6)? Can I use my '94 computer with a '95 engine?

All three engines have under 90k, and are about the same price.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm almost there

Last edited by mixtape; 08-02-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: All three engines have under 90k, and are about the same price.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would go ahead and get the 95 f-body engine use the vented opti and it's harness. You will need a pilot bearing for the back of the crank if putting an engine from an A4 car in front of an M6.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would go ahead and get the 95 f-body engine use the vented opti and it's harness. You will need a pilot bearing for the back of the crank if putting an engine from an A4 car in front of an M6.
Thank you! The '95 Fbody engine is probably my safest/easiest bet.

I don't think any of the engines comes with wiring harnesses. I was planning on using the car's stock '94 harness and computer actually. I was hoping they'd be compatible with the '95 engine.

Do you know if the part number for that pilot bearing is 14061685? If so, is it easy to harvest it off of the old engine? Or should I just buy a new one. They're about $20, but I'd hate to buy something I can take off the old one.

Thanks again! I should have her on the road before the end of summer!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a new one... Yes the motor will be plug and play
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The complete wiring harness will work for you, just get the opti and opti harness from the 95 and use it.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a complete 96 lt1 with all harness pcm acc ect for 1200 has 77k on it.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Thank you guys . I picked up the '95 engine this past Sunday. Unfortunately it doesn't look as clean as the Impala motor, but it'll get the job done . I usually snap pictures, but unfortunately I was in a rush before work.

I plan on ordering the vented opti spark harness (GM part 12130319) this evening from eBay. I was curious though if I also need the vacuum harness (GM part 12555323) and vacuum fitting (GM part 14082470)? Since the motor already has a vented opti setup, being a '95, I wasn't sure if it was necessary to buy more than the wiring harness. The fitting is only about $6, but that vacuum harness is over $50.

Thanks guys. Almost there
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The harness comes with all the fittings you need. If the old motor does not have the vacuum harness then yes you willl need it.

Quick Reply: Easier Motor Swap for Z28: '94 Impala SS LT1 or '95 Corvette?