LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 Month old CSR EWP Fails ??!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Month old CSR EWP Fails ??!

Car has only been running about 2 months now. Was driving to work this morning, about 5 minutes after I left my house I notice the "Check Guages" light come on all the sudden. I look down and the temp is in the red. Shut it off immediately and coasted to the shoulder. Let it sit 10 min and drive to the nearest gas station to park it - didn't get hot but was climbing very fast.

I figured it's my wiring or a fuse. Wiring looks good, fuse blown. Blows them as soon as I turn the key on. So I pop in a 20 just for a test... blows. Pop in a 25 just for a test... doesn't blow but the pump doesn't run either? Fuse got very hot. So I put a 15 back in and disconnect the connector for the pump. The fuse does NOT blow with the pump disconnected. With it connected it blows every time immediately.

Anyone had this issue? I did some searching and found very few posts something about the impeller coming loose and causing it to blow fuses? I should be able to get to it tomorrow and pull the pump off. Also, IF this is the problem, can I simply tighten the impeller back down and add some locktite or something? This is my daily driver unfortunately and I can't afford much downtime at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shaft seal on the impeller to motor housing is shot. You can put whatever fuse you want in there, cause once the engine coolant gets inside its going to blow whatever you have in there. My CSR did the same thing. Don't try to order a CSR online, they told me it would take a month to arrive. So I bought a Jegs and its been fine. I also have a Miesere pump too very good piece as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With less than 1500 miles on it?? If so that's unacceptable. And maybe you didn't catch it but I said it didn't blow a 25.

My papers say the pump has a 1yr warranty so it is still under warranty, I will probably give them a call tomorrow
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

you could buy a Meziere and install while CSR one is being returned under warrenty if that is in effect. Then keep the CSR as a spare in the trunk...or sell it.

I have had a Meziere on for 12 years and 75k miles
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

cheap summit waterpump as a backup/temp use... although I have had mine in for about 2 years problem free.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

If that blew your motor i would sue them
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Really Steve?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
8 Second Club

Most aftermarket companies couldn't care less about your motor.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Yeah that should not happen. remember the guy here who had a $20,000 motor and a CSR pump that failed -- it fucked up his block. So you would just sit back and say oh well thats not their fault? im gonna try to find the thread, i think he did sue them actually
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From the CSR website warranty page:

"CSR Performance Products is not, and the purchaser agrees, liable for any consequential damages, expense, or injury arising from the use, misuse, or improper installation of any products."

Just about every manufacturer has an identical warranty policy.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Doesn't matter, that little policy isn't going to stand up. They don't make you sign something by hand when you buy the part, and any good lawyer can convince a judge that their part malfunctioned and destroyed the motor. They will lose. If a patriot valve spring dropped in my motor after 500 miles even though everything was torqued and assembled properly, i would demand the rotating assembly and labor be paid for. I would hope that if something broke in your $10,000 motor due to a manufacturing defect you wouldn't just pansy out and say oh well. I sure as hell wont take that crap.

My local attorney here had a client that had aftermarket performance slotted rotors put on her car, they said there will be no warranty..well one of them broke and caused her to crash the car and be injured. She got $100,000 for the car, injuries, inconvienence etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah that should not happen. remember the guy here who had a $20,000 motor and a CSR pump that failed -- it fucked up his block. So you would just sit back and say oh well thats not their fault? im gonna try to find the thread, i think he did sue them actually
Spohn laughed at me when I told them their parts were crap, they also laughed at me when I told them to make it right.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would sue if there was damage as well. Just because a company has words on a piece of paper does not make them un accountable for there product.

When I bought a alternator for my 69 z28 and installed it, the first time I started the car the entire wiring fought fire and did a lot of damage. No one wanted to take responsibility for this so I sued the part store. I won hand down and it cost them over 7 grand to fix. The manager called me up afterwards to apologize and said if I ever needed anything to call him.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is hilarious.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by madhatter
This thread is hilarious.
only because it did not happen to you. im sure if you had a nice motor and it blew or warped a head you would not think its so funny.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Doesn't matter, that little policy isn't going to stand up.
Sure. You can sue, and you may even win, but then you have to ask yourself if the cost justifies the means. Especially paying for a "good lawyer."
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on the amount of damage done justifying suing or not. 50 worth of damage not so much 4000 engine maybe so. you only pay if you win and the losing side normally pays experiences.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn I was going to get a CSR pump for mine.

Isnt there some kind warning light that can be wired up in case of a failed pump?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
only because it did not happen to you. im sure if you had a nice motor and it blew or warped a head you would not think its so funny.
I have FUBAR'd up plenty of vehicles, and a few have been because of failed parts. You can not be pissed at one company because their part failed on you once. **** happens and no one has 100% success rates. This is the price you pay for modding your car.

And yes, I have totally laughed when **** goes bad. Whats the point of getting angry at nothing you have control over? What's done is done. In this case there are plenty of people that have wired in buzzers/lights for failed pumps. Live and learn. I wouldn't run an EWP again unless I had some sort of warning system, but to each their own.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Sure. You can sue, and you may even win, but then you have to ask yourself if the cost justifies the means. Especially paying for a "good lawyer."
This is America, we sue EVERYONE.

Quick Reply: 2 Month old CSR EWP Fails ??!