LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Leaving for the Shootout in about 3 weeks, everybody else ready??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping to get my car in GMHTP next year when the car is all done. I just wanna see a pic of my car in a published magazine to be like **** yea that's my car BIOTCH!!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
I'm hoping to get my car in GMHTP next year when the car is all done. I just wanna see a pic of my car in a published magazine to be like **** yea that's my car BIOTCH!!!!
That would be pretty cool to see.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im hoping mine catches GMHTP's eye this year........id love to get a feature...........i worked my *** off on it this winter making it nice nice...........its a street/show/strip car that runs the numbers im hoping they may want it.........

last year..............

this year...............

Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Help

OK, need some help here, probably need to post this in the forced induction site, but took the car for a drive for the first time yesterday, First the shop forgot to tighten the clamp for the hose that goes to the top of the water pump so the engine took a hot bath, but before that when I would accelerate slowly if felt fine but when I tried to get a little boost, the car would just like choke out, no boost what so ever, just start missing real bad. I had superchargers before but never a turbo so I dont know what to look for right now, any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
OK, need some help here, probably need to post this in the forced induction site, but took the car for a drive for the first time yesterday, First the shop forgot to tighten the clamp for the hose that goes to the top of the water pump so the engine took a hot bath, but before that when I would accelerate slowly if felt fine but when I tried to get a little boost, the car would just like choke out, no boost what so ever, just start missing real bad. I had superchargers before but never a turbo so I dont know what to look for right now, any suggestions?
ok...........give some info on ur setup first..........next..........pull off the boost tube and see if it will run fine NA........
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ok...........give some info on ur setup first..........next..........pull off the boost tube and see if it will run fine NA........
Gotya, OK my setup, was supercharged and went turbo so I have all of the supporting mods, the entire engine,pumps,injectors, motor are brand new. it is a front mount T76 with a 50mm Tial waste gate and a 50mm Turbo smart blow out. it is the headder type not log, the problem is when I accelerate slow it runs fine but if I try to get into a little boost, it hits a wall and just stumbles, No boost at all, FP is steady at that point.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
9 Second Club

Gotya, OK my setup, was supercharged and went turbo so I have all of the supporting mods, the entire engine,pumps,injectors, motor are brand new. it is a front mount T76 with a 50mm Tial waste gate and a 50mm Turbo smart blow out. it is the headder type not log, the problem is when I accelerate slow it runs fine but if I try to get into a little boost, it hits a wall and just stumbles, No boost at all, FP is steady at that point.
so it wont build boost or the motor just doens't want to run??
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Motor will not rev, just starts stumbling, I can let off, accelerate slow and it will run fine again, but when I stab the throttle half way to see if it will build any boost it will stumble bad and will not accelerate any more until I lift..
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Motor will not rev, just starts stumbling, I can let off, accelerate slow and it will run fine again, but when I stab the throttle half way to see if it will build any boost it will stumble bad and will not accelerate any more until I lift..

Spark plug gap? tip in may be way off with a new setup and fuel system also.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a wideband? Is it spiking rich? Has it already been tuned to know if it ever ran good?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Spark plug gap? tip in may be way off with a new setup and fuel system also.
It was supercharged before, just went from a A1000 to dual walbros in tank, Plugs are gapped but its not even getting any boost yet to affect the plugs.

Originally Posted by Ralls
Do you have a wideband? Is it spiking rich? Has it already been tuned to know if it ever ran good?
No wideband, this is the first time out on the new setup, Yes it tuned for boost. but I will disconnect the turbo tonite and see how it does NA first.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=moehorsepower;15281332]It was supercharged before, just went from a A1000 to dual walbros in tank, Plugs are gapped but its not even getting any boost yet to affect the plugs.

My bet is there is a substantial change right there. I'd check fuel pressure and what your fueling looking like. My bet is fuel is dumping at tip in somewhere.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

thats what it sounds like........sounds like you have an issue in the tune somewhere......you need to get a WB02 on it.......as for the a1000 vs dual walboro it should be around the same....i cant see that as ur issue........is it speed density or MAF?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

when it stumbles, FP stays the same, maybe goes up a lb or so but nothing drastic, the A1000 pushed a lot more fuel than the dual walbros so I wouldnt think thats the issue, I mean it would have to be dumping a whole lot of fuel to make it stumble that bad and have black smoke pouring out the rear, I did notice that even at idle, if I rev it up hard, at the upper rpm's say when it hits around 4000 it will do the same while in the drive way so?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
thats what it sounds like........sounds like you have an issue in the tune somewhere......you need to get a WB02 on it.......as for the a1000 vs dual walboro it should be around the same....i cant see that as ur issue........is it speed density or MAF?
I agree with you on the fuel, I will double check the tune, could of forgotten something thrashing to get ready for the shoot out,It is maf, I made 722 RWHP with a maf on the supercharger, but I guess it could be bad,I guess the first and easiest thing to do is run it na to make sure its not like the opti, I will have to tone down the fuel but that will be no problem, When I pulled off the supercharger, I ran around NA with 75lb injector with no problems, Thanks for pitching in some ideas...
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

pull off the tube from the turbo intake side and run the motor NA and see what it does.......
Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It most likely has a huge boost leak with a MAF in front of the turbo and that behavior. Look for couplers with no clamps on them or blown off the pipe and just resting against it. I'd make a cap for the front of the turbo with an air valve in it. Using that, you can pressurize the system with shop air (compressor) and find/fix all of the boost leaks. Fixing little boost leaks has been good for 50+ rwhp on good running cars in my experience.

As for myself being ready for the shootout, I am on the horns of a dilemma. I just got offered a free spot at a private track rental the same day, along with the keys to 2 cool cars that aren't mine. I may have to skip the shootout even though I was really looking forward to it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05HD
It most likely has a huge boost leak with a MAF in front of the turbo and that behavior. Look for couplers with no clamps on them or blown off the pipe and just resting against it. I'd make a cap for the front of the turbo with an air valve in it. Using that, you can pressurize the system with shop air (compressor) and find/fix all of the boost leaks. Fixing little boost leaks has been good for 50+ rwhp on good running cars in my experience.

As for myself being ready for the shootout, I am on the horns of a dilemma. I just got offered a free spot at a private track rental the same day, along with the keys to 2 cool cars that aren't mine. I may have to skip the shootout even though I was really looking forward to it.
Not a problem. It's not like you would win the Street Stock class anyway.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 cool cars vs 30 or more at the shoot out ? your proritys are backwards bro the great time and racing you could see vs 2 cars is no contest IMO.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
2 cool cars vs 30 or more at the shoot out ? your proritys are backwards bro the great time and racing you could see vs 2 cars is no contest IMO.
Wait, I get to drive everyone's cars at the shootout?

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
Not a problem. It's not like you would win the Street Stock class anyway.
Probably not, I have been slacking a bit on prepping the Camaro. I'd surely have fun competing though, especially if what 96TransAmboosted says is true!

Quick Reply: Leaving for the Shootout in about 3 weeks, everybody else ready??