LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

PM Tony Mamo and talk to him about the heads. Tell him your budget and goals and he will point you in the right direction.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You want to have a fast bench or a fast car?

If racing the car is your thing then Advanced Induction should be your choice.
You had the right idea to begin with, why go and make the wrong choice now?

Far as the stroker thing not only is Pat's car the fastest stock shortblock Impala and has the AI heads but his friend Mike Harris has the fastest NA LT1 stroker it also has a AI 200cc heads.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gut is already telling you A.I so just get the ball rolling already.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Far as the stroker thing not only is Pat's car the fastest stock shortblock Impala and has the AI heads but his friend Mike Harris has the fastest NA LT1 stroker it also has a AI 200cc heads.
LOL at all of the name dropping........................

And the worlds fastest N/A LT1 Joe Overton runs AFR heads, and Tony Shepherd runs AFR heads, and Taner Bosnali runs AFR heads, and Ben Moore runs AFR heads, and blah blah blah..........................................

LOL at AFR being the "wrong" choice according to the guy who's got a 4-colored caprice.

Just for clarification AI does make amazing stuff, but to knock AFR is just ludicrous. They didn't get to the top of the food chain by putting out junk.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merim123
you won't see heads in that article that don't advertise in the magazine somewhere.

OP - how much power do you want to make?
420 minimum RWHP...430 or so sounds nice...its going to be 99% street car..I don't have the money to also upgrade the rear end yet to 9' or 12 bolt for a while.. so not enough to snap a 10 bolt on 315 street tires....hopefully

As to eneryone else...I'm still contemplating my options...lots to think about here. I'm not going to make any hasty decisions until I think it over few days at least. I do encourage your debate though, it's good to get some real world experiences and ##s more importantly. Proceed
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Afr 195's require lt4 intake.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

If your sold with AI, then talk with Ron with what your wanting and he'll set you up with everything. Top notch work.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

I am using the TFS 215 from Ai on my daily driver and have no issues,Rick Abare is running the same on his T/A and he really has no issues either!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster

And the worlds fastest N/A LT1 Joe Overton runs AFR heads, and Tony Shepherd runs AFR heads, and Taner Bosnali runs AFR heads, and Ben Moore runs AFR heads, and blah blah blah..........................................

LOL at AFR being the "wrong" choice according to the guy who's got a 4-colored caprice.

Just for clarification AI does make amazing stuff, but to knock AFR is just ludicrous. They didn't get to the top of the food chain by putting out junk.
Come on, joelster - Stop the name dropping! Especially when the examples you point out are way the hell out there from what the OP wants to do.
I don't knock AFR; I think they have a hell of a racket going! And they have their place in setups like the big guns you named, who have a helluva lot more invested in their heads than $1500....lol!
How much do you have in yours?
They certainly have no place for what the OP has in mind. Sorry, CapriceMGR is right on this one. AFR is the "wrong" choice.
We shouldn't be misleading on a forum like this; we should be helping.
Don't worry, AFR will sell plenty of those awesome $1500 heads to dummies who only read magazines.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster

Shhhh we're not allowed to say that kind of stuff here.

AFRs are only for race cars, and all of their results for years can all be dismissed since they were in purpose built gutted tin cans.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Come on, joelster - Stop the name dropping! Especially when the examples you point out are way the hell out there from what the OP wants to do.
I don't knock AFR; I think they have a hell of a racket going! And they have their place in setups like the big guns you named, who have a helluva lot more invested in their heads than $1500....lol!
How much do you have in yours?
$1864
They certainly have no place for what the OP has in mind. Sorry, CapriceMGR is right on this one. AFR is the "wrong" choice.
An AFR 195 is wrong? How so? Please elaborate.
We shouldn't be misleading on a forum like this; we should be helping.
Don't worry, AFR will sell plenty of those awesome $1500 heads to dummies who only read magazines.
I have no problem with AI stuff, they make an excellent product. I do have a problem with certain AI cheerleaders who bash everything and anything else in the market. There's no need for that. We can debate this stuff all day long. I'm sure Tony Mamo could come in here and say a few things about it as well. He'd probably make a lot more sense then any of the other posts in this thread.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Shhhh we're not allowed to say that kind of stuff here.

AFRs are only for race cars, and all of their results for years can all be dismissed since they were in purpose built gutted tin cans.
So you are running out of the box AFR heads? Oh yeah your car doesn't even run yet....
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As I read a few posts ago the reason the ai heads lack on the exhaust on the bench is because of test parameters.......see the pipe fixture test info.....the ai heads will intact prob outflow the afrs with the same test parameters........also as capricemgr said.......ai heads make power done end of story.....I ran the ai tfs heads over the afrs and I am closing in quickly on the 9sec bracket wit a naturally aspirated 3300lb stock style trans street car.........you can play flow benches and be the Dyno king......but id rather go down the track fast....

Good luck whichever way you go!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again please understand Afr makes a great product.....by no means am I saying they are no good.....plenty of people are running very fast with them.......I had my reasons for.going with ai stuff.....and im glad I did
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Launching!

i would go afr
Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Numbers in sig match your desired numbers.

Also katz2003 has a very similar setup to mine (with the AI 200s) and put down 440whp.

The obvious choice is out there.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=joelster;15395582]$1864
You've done very well on that deal.
Just don't mislead that anyone can get a set of ported 227's for that.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Perhaps I don't understand. There are those stating to run out of the box AFR heads instead of having stock castings reworked and pretty much guaranteed to perform? Is that right?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

I have had LE2 heads with CC503 and now have AI 200cc H/C/I and picked up a full second N/A over my prior setup. And on a 150 shot the car is in the mid 10's at 4100 lbs. So AI has my business from now on. Nuff said!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

op - in your shoes, I would go AI. disclaimer - I don't have AI, my heads are locally ported by a guy with a solid reputation that I bought 8 years ago. I have no regrets, but if I was doing a LT1 build now, I'd be buying AI, his stuff gets consistent results time and again, it's one less thing to worry about.

if you really don't want stock castings. then you can buy the TFS heads and use them for now. When you're ready, you can send them off to AI to get done.

Quick Reply: My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?