LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My car makes pretty good power for what it is. Also used to be pretty quick on the stock suspension. Now I changed so much its a turd (although I think I finally figured it out).
Just proof a car with decent HP can run crappy #s at the track if the car isnt set up right.

FYI I have LE2 ported stockers and only know of 1 or 2 similar cars with AI heads that make more power. They also have 10bolts and 3.73s which add a decent amount on the dyno over 4.10s and a S60.

AI,LE, AFR, TFS and many many others all can make great power. Its the total combo that counts. Ive seen many cars with the same heads listed above have crappy results.
Let's not forget my car at the same track is quicker.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
They also have an unported intake and stock waterpump which more than negates that, not to mention actual full weight with zr1's on all 4 corners and still managed to trap over 120 with gearing that makes them cross the traps under 6000 rpm's. What happened to your trap speed when you ran a 28" tire with the 4.11's which is pretty much the same as running 3.73's on a 25.7" tire? Or what about the fact that there's a heavy impala running 10's with the same heads/cam setup as me?

Lets not forget the fact that I also gained 25rwhp and 2mph and .2 in the 1/4 by going from an le2 setup with a ported intake to an Ai setup with a stock intake and no other changes.
Uhhh a EWP and Unported Intake (which AI told me isn't a restriction till about 500 N/A HP) is worth more then what an S60 Eats up 0__0
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the lowspeed drivability difference between the two?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Uhhh a EWP and Unported Intake (which AI told me isn't a restriction till about 500 N/A HP) is worth more then what an S60 Eats up 0__0
...proof?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
...proof?
Let me see If I can go find the email.....

Ahh can't seem to find the email but when I was looking to build my motor and was trying to save money I'm 95% sure told me the Intake was not much of a restriction at the level MOST builds are think these builds being argued would fall under MOST builds. Pretty sure I read something about them telling you something similar but you went ahead and got it ported anyways.....?

Like I said not 100% but I'm pretty close to positive I was told the intake was pretty decent for a stock piece. I just didn't see a EWP and Intake being as much power taken away vs 10 Bolt vs S60

Last edited by Lawhead; 09-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenbird
Brodix trac 1's ftw!
^^^
I have to agree with this guy.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
I do have a problem with certain AI cheerleaders who bash everything and anything else in the market. There's no need for that.
Just saw this.
Actually there is no problem with those who want to bash who/whom/whatever product is out there. It's their opinion. They have every right to it and unless it does not follow forum standard, this is still a public message forum. Where the problem lies are the vaginas like you who whine whenever an opinion is offered that differs from yours. Jesus, stop being such a woman.

P.S. Not sure of the other names you dropped, but Overton's heads had port work done to them by EB Porting. They were not out of the box.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just saw this.
Actually there is no problem with those who want to bash who/whom/whatever product is out there. It's their opinion. They have every right to it and unless it does not follow forum standard, this is still a public message forum. Where the problem lies are the vaginas like you who whine whenever an opinion is offered that differs from yours. Jesus, stop being such a woman.

P.S. Not sure of the other names you dropped, but Overton's heads had port work done to them by EB Porting. They were not out of the box.
Obviously you can make serious power with any afermarket head out there. To say one brand is inferior when there are guys running single digits at the top of the leaderboard should be convincing enough. Yeah I know Overton's heads were ported.

LOL at your pathetic "name calling". Want me to post a HOT pic of your wife as a touche? Let me know I have a few of good 'ol Heather, lol. Now I know why you are so miserable and spend all day long online on multiple forums. Home life suck much?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Village Troll

Yeah I know Overton's heads were ported.
No one is debating whether or not AFR's can make power when ported therefore your example is retarded.
LOL at your pathetic "name calling". Want me to post a HOT pic of your wife as a touche? Let me know I have a few of good 'ol Heather, lol. Now I know why you are so miserable and spend all day long online on multiple forums. Home life suck much?
My home life is fantastic. If you feel it will help get your vaginal hormones back in order then knock yourself out. I have nothing to hide.
Thanks for giving such a great example as to what I'm talking about. It goes to show if there is a disagreement/disturbance/difference of opinion in Eutopia Vagina Land then followers like you go ape **** and bleed all over your replies with no actual content other than to try and make it personal. Just shows how weak you are. As far as name calling, if the tampon fits...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
No one is debating whether or not AFR's can make power when ported therefore your example is retarded.

My home life is fantastic. If you feel it will help get your vaginal hormones back in order then knock yourself out. I have nothing to hide.
Thanks for giving such a great example as to what I'm talking about. It goes to show if there is a disagreement/disturbance/difference of opinion in Eutopia Vagina Land then followers like you go ape **** and bleed all over your replies with no actual content other than to try and make it personal. Just shows how weak you are. As far as name calling, if the tampon fits...
LMAO, you just love to argue, it's what you're all about. Probably why you have a pink s/n and had a Richard Simmons avatar, but I guess you won't learn until you are banned. I don't "follow" anything, I do my own thing. I'm a "follower" of nothing when it pertains to LT1's. I've run stock heads, TFS heads and AFR heads. They all can make power. So can AI and LE heads, many people have run good numbers with them. There's just no need to put down other products when they've been proven to work.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Village Troll

LMAO, you just love to argue, it's what you're all about. Probably why you have a pink s/n and had a Richard Simmons avatar, but I guess you won't learn until you are banned. I don't "follow" anything, I do my own thing. I'm a "follower" of nothing when it pertains to LT1's. I've run stock heads, TFS heads and AFR heads. They all can make power. So can AI and LE heads, many people have run good numbers with them. There's just no need to put down other products when they've been proven to work.
There's that control issue.... "There's no need..." It reads like you are very hurt this place doesn't follow your standards of posting mannerisms so you bitch and cry. As stated, people here have a God given right to their opinion and, if the forum allows, those people have a right to express their opinion whether you like it or not. Is that too much for you to deal with?
Might I suggest you start your own following. One where only what you like is allowed. One where you can pick and chose content, and if anyone falls by the wayside, you can punish them with the "There's no need..." law which entails you menstruating all over them.

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-19-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

and another wonderful post with such great info from the ltx community............i just feel bad for the poor guy that originally posted...........god forbid we actually answer the question with some solid technical infortmation.............i feel ur pain OP............as for the **** stirring please take it somewhere else.......
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Village Troll

This is what I really don't understand about threads like these. It's as if you all have Alzheimers when it comes to someone asking for information about one or more component brands. Opinions are raised and people go nuts as if it's never happened before. It's the same **** it's been since message boards have been created. People are loyal to the brands they buy and are biased to others. Some have great reason while others are simply lap dog loyal. It's human nature. When has it ever been different?
Seriously, I would suggest creating a place where those who cannot deal with a difference of opinion agree on the same issues. That way there will be no friction. You will all be happy posting amongst yourselves with your one track minds.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

on a serious note which afr heads where we trying to compare here?? the 210's im assuming??
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

id go with the afr 195 comps. just for the simple fact that u can still have them ported later if u want more. the ai heads are as good as they are gonna get when u get them
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

if u call tony mamo, he will suggest 195s. i was a bit suprised he didnt tell me 210s but im happy i didnt go with them the car performs awesome with the 195s on it
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
and another wonderful post with such great info from the ltx community............i just feel bad for the poor guy that originally posted...........god forbid we actually answer the question with some solid technical infortmation.............i feel ur pain OP............as for the **** stirring please take it somewhere else.......
LOL ...wow..didn't realize my thread would deteriorate to petty name calling and general douchbaggery over the weekend. I didn't realize LT1 owners were THAT passionate about their heads

After thinking it over, I'm 90% sold on sticking with the original plan of Ai 200cc stock castings....it will less expensive that way and should make all the power I need...I'm not building a race car or a record breaker here. I just want to find some castings as cheaply as possible.

The AFR 195's sound nice if it's true they do fit a ported LT1 intake...but I haven't seen PROOF they are better than 200cc Ai....I think I would need that to justify paying a few hundred more. Somebody show me this No doubt, the AFR 210's would be awesome...they are a bit out of my price range and I fear they might be too much head for what I really need....plus the 550+ hp might destroy my 10-bolt in short order.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

i broke 3 10 bolts and 5 clutches with only 363rwhp. but i have a 6 speed so....
Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElkySS
i broke 3 10 bolts and 5 clutches with only 363rwhp. but i have a 6 speed so....
Me too
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

i think you are making the right choice for your goals.........like i said i had my reasons for going with the AI head over the AFR.......i can get into them but at this point i think it will cause more E-drama haha........what i can GUARANTEE you is that AI is top notch....they do fantastic work and make fantastic power .....i know some of the top runners run AFR heads.....but those are also Nitrous and FI cars......most of the top runners NA are AI cars (minus Joe O)....myself, rick abare, (96caprice^), Pat (Bowtie) and many more....and the biggest thing is they do it and be durable at the same time.........making big power and making it consistantly is very difficult........and they pull it off!!!! i am extremely happy with my AI heads and cam.......as well as the support i get from AI.......im actually going to be installing one of their cams in my LS2 GTO too.......

again by no means am i trashing AFR.......AFR makes a great product that is tried and true........but there are ways of inflating flow numbers that get overlooked........also flow numbers dont tell everything keep that in mind...........one of the best things i like is the 227 race head tested on a 4.125" bore.........when you find a 4.125" bore LT1 you let me know lol

Quick Reply: My stock heads are FUBAR... Ai or AFR next?