LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Won't Stay Running !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Won't Stay Running !!!

I've just finished putting on LT headers, ORY, Cutout, and a new opti with new wires. I crank it over and it runs fine until it heats up and then the car sounds like it's missing / hesitating and chugs a little right before it shuts off. When I try to start it again it runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. Only way to get it running is by pressing the gas while turning the key. But that only last a few minutes until it chugs/ hesitates and shuts off again. Only way it won't shut off is if i key my foot on the gas. I've replaced the TPS, ICM, and COIL. I've also taken apart and cleaned the IAC. There are also no codes. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Any help would be great!
Thanks

Last edited by pboxfun; 10-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pboxfun
I've just finished putting on LT headers, ORY, Cutout, and a new opti with new wires. I crank it over and it runs fine until it heats up and then the car sounds like it's missing / hesitating and chugs a little right before it shuts off. When I try to start it again it runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. Only way to get it running is by pressing the gas while turning the key. But that only last a few minutes until it chugs/ hesitates and shuts off again. Only way it won't shut off is if i key my foot on the gas. I've replaced the TPS, ICM, and COIL. I've also taken apart and cleaned the IAC. There are also no codes. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Any help would be great!
Thanks
Sounds like a closed loop issue, cause it only does it when it warms up. Do you have access to any kind of scanning software?

If not, unplugging the maf will cause it to go into open loop(I'm pretty sure, guys help me out on this one). if it runs fine with the maf unplugged then its a closed loop sensor causing issues.

I know when my 02s were bad it caused a nasty stumble at idle and car just didnt run strong, replaced my 02s and issue went away. It also threw no codes most of the time.

Hope that helps somehow.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

I do have freescan but I can't tell what I should be looking for. I unhooked the maf and it seemed to be running just as bad or worst then when it was hooked up. Also forgot to mention I just replaced the o2's a few months ago.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Was it running ok before you did all of the work??? if it was, probaly has something to do with the work you just did. Not saying its your fault, just go back and check what you did. Did you replace the whole distrubutor??? maybe an issue with the opti when it warms up??
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check fuel pressure when it happens, any SES light???
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

The reason I changed the opti was because the car would randomly shutoff on me when I was driving then I would have to wait before I was able to start the car again. Now this problem is a lot worst then the one I had before. lol I'm going to go over all the wires and stuff again to make sure it's all correct. There is no ses light. But when the car shuts off check gauges light turns on. Also I need to go get a fuel pressure gauge and check that.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Normal for the check gauges light to come on when the key is on and engine is off.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

I was hoping it would tell me something more then that.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:
Now the car wont even start without my foot pressing the gas down. As soon I let my foot of it dies. Also this happens in closed and open loop. Could I have messed up installing the water pump? It almost seems like something is dragging and cutting off the engine. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pboxfun
UPDATE:
Now the car wont even start without my foot pressing the gas down. As soon I let my foot of it dies. Also this happens in closed and open loop. Could I have messed up installing the water pump? It almost seems like something is dragging and cutting off the engine. Any ideas?
If you didnt put the water pump back on right( i guess your talkin about the drive for the water pump that comes out of the front cover) your water pump would not turn causeing an overheating issue or improper installing the gaskets could cause a leak, not the problems your having. You need to check your fuel pressure and check your spark.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Stay Running !!!