LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Jet Hot Coated Headers Starting to Get Rust???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Jet Hot Coated Headers Starting to Get Rust???

So I have some SLP Mid-Length Headers that were Jet Hot Coated three years ago. Recently noticed there starting to get rust on them. First off SLP Headers are stainless steel right? Plus the Jet Hot Coating is supposed to prevent this right? Is this normal?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
So I have some SLP Mid-Length Headers that were Jet Hot Coated three years ago. Recently noticed there starting to get rust on them. First off SLP Headers are stainless steel right? Plus the Jet Hot Coating is supposed to prevent this right? Is this normal?
Stainless is still Steel will still rust as well as jett hott coated parts given the right conditions and time. My JBA's (coated) started to develop small rust spots in various places especially around the welds over time. Just the nature of the beast. Where do you live and is the car subjected to rain/water and/or salt/winter condition roads?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ceramic coating's primary purpose is NOT to inhibit rust. It's designed to keep the heat in the exhaust runners. The mild corrosion resistance it does provide is only a bonus.

SLP never made a stainless header from what I understand. The fact that your ceramic coating lasted 3+ years on a mild steel header should make you HAPPY. I can only assume you live in a slightly arid climate.

If you don't want the exhaust to rust get stainless headers.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normal. Get used to it.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

SLP did make stainless headers, I have a set of their stainless mids
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeTopZ
SLP did make stainless headers, I have a set of their stainless mids
Agreed, they made very good OBD1 mid length 1.75" primary / 2.5" collector headers and Y-pipe out of T304 stainless. I looked high and low for these back in the day but they cost around $900 IIRC so ended up settling on the RK sport heasders which were a AS&M knockoff.

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you don't want the exhaust to rust get stainless headers.
Only high grade SS such as T304 will resist rust. Cheaper SS like what I used for my TD's, made by magnaflow gets surface rust that can be cleaned with a SOS pad or similar. I settled on the cheaper T410 SS because quality T304 was well out of my budget.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

If the rust is not to bad check out a polish jegs sells. I had some slight rust on my ceramic lt's and applied the polish and waxed it out after a few heat cycles and believe it or not the rust polished out. Just depends on where you live how long it will last. I would give you the link but im on my phone! Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Beleive me, they are stainless steel and as mentioned stainless doesn't mean rust proof, they just rust much less than mild steel.

Also, I'm glad to hear your enjoying my car
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue with my Jet-Hots a while back. I called and confirmed what I already knew. The coating is a thermal barrier, not a rust preventative. They told me to slow down the rust you can polish them before install and then they said to polish them every 6 months. I guess it worked a little but it was more of a pain than it was worth IMO.

Quick Reply: SLP Jet Hot Coated Headers Starting to Get Rust???