LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

F$@# california exhaust laws. Lets Go

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F$@# california exhaust laws. Lets Go

Well now that my car is fixed from the collision I was involved in and I am just waiting for paint I decided I want long tube headers even tho I live in California. The plan is to store the legal exhaust and headers for when smog time comes or if I get a fix it ticket. Can anyone recommend a good set of Long tube headers and a cat back? I am thinking a high flow cat and a muffler will be ideal but I am going to get a electronic cutout for after the headers for when I want to really open her up. Suggestions?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pacesetters are pretty good, and you don't have to worry so much in Cali about them rusting, get the coated ones.

GMMG for a catback would be my choice.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

why dont you find a full exhaust setup that can pass emissions? Or at least get emissions ready headers so you dont have to remove the AIR fittings. Once you remove the AIR pipe that runs under the engine, its gonna be a bitch to put her back in cus you have to cut it off.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Launching!

pacesetter seems to be a popular option, ill be getting those for mine too.. or maybe the ebay ones..

im going with LTs and cat delete on mine too..**** cali laws..
on cat back i got magnaflow!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I loved the fit on the pace setters..but, mine were "off road only"
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
pacesetters are pretty good, and you don't have to worry so much in Cali about them rusting, get the coated ones.

GMMG for a catback would be my choice.
Pacesetters is what I was looking into

Originally Posted by Zlow28
why dont you find a full exhaust setup that can pass emissions? Or at least get emissions ready headers so you dont have to remove the AIR fittings. Once you remove the AIR pipe that runs under the engine, its gonna be a bitch to put her back in cus you have to cut it off.
Then what do you suggest? I really want to go with LT headers but I also want to be able to go back to stock for smog without any major issues

Originally Posted by Maroboy
pacesetter seems to be a popular option, ill be getting those for mine too.. or maybe the ebay ones..

im going with LTs and cat delete on mine too..**** cali laws..
on cat back i got magnaflow!
Right **** cali laws

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I loved the fit on the pace setters..but, mine were "off road only"
I expect mine to be "off road only" as well. Which is why I am going to save my stock exhaust and headers for smog time. Ha
Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a friendly shop like I did. I had my Kooks LT's with smog provisions and catted y-pipe when I was in CA. The guy said as long as I had all the smog stuff still on the car, he didn't give a crap about my LT's.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

If you are wanting to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket exhaust then do it right and stay away from any catalytic converters. There's no point to put them on with LT headers since it moves them from the factory location and is considered illegal. Use an off road y-pipe and a quality cat back and keep your foot out of it when there is the possibility of being around the po-lice.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Find a friendly shop like I did. I had my Kooks LT's with smog provisions and catted y-pipe when I was in CA. The guy said as long as I had all the smog stuff still on the car, he didn't give a crap about my LT's.
That was kinda my plan. Any part numbers by chance?

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If you are wanting to go through the hassle of installing aftermarket exhaust then do it right and stay away from any catalytic converters. There's no point to put them on with LT headers since it moves them from the factory location and is considered illegal. Use an off road y-pipe and a quality cat back and keep your foot out of it when there is the possibility of being around the po-lice.
That was why I was going to use a cutout after the headers. Illegal or not I have never had them do a visual on my cars including my old trans am that I used to have with racing headers on it that moved the cat.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not to mention a single cat is restrictive as hell but the lt1 guys love doing it for some reason.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not to mention a single cat is restrictive as hell but the lt1 guys love doing it for some reason.

You come live in the town I live in and tell me you wouldn't like being able to close the cutout even if its restrictive to avoid constant ticket. I'll sit by with my popcorn
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by iTh3 Riddler
That was why I was going to use a cutout after the headers. Illegal or not I have never had them do a visual on my cars including my old trans am that I used to have with racing headers on it that moved the cat.
Where would you put the cutout after the headers along with cats? Doesn't seem like there's a lot of room to do both. Never seen that done before.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Yo everyone is so stuck on the cat. Ignore the cat. Like I said I plan to swap in my stock exhaust for smog time so suggest a good set of long tubes and a catback tha isn't to loud because I am gonna use a cutout for when I want her loud and open. Suggestions?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Im in cali also. Im running the stainless ebay headers and Y pipe into a 3" e-cutout then a 3" ebay bullet cat and then into the flowmaster catback I got at a swapmeet for $25. Its Fkn loud when I want and pretty quite when I want.

I did notice the flowmaster muffler I put in was MUCH bigger than the one I took off that the previous owner installed. The new catback + cat made it much much quieter (with the cutout closed) than the stock exhaust with the flowmaster welded in.

So, if you can find them, I recommend the ebay stainless headers. I've put over 20k miles on mine without a problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
Im in cali also. Im running the stainless ebay headers and Y pipe into a 3" e-cutout then a 3" ebay bullet cat and then into the flowmaster catback I got at a swapmeet for $25. Its Fkn loud when I want and pretty quite when I want.

I did notice the flowmaster muffler I put in was MUCH bigger than the one I took off that the previous owner installed. The new catback + cat made it much much quieter (with the cutout closed) than the stock exhaust with the flowmaster welded in.

So, if you can find them, I recommend the ebay stainless headers. I've put over 20k miles on mine without a problem.
Good response. Are the headers your running long tube or no? That is the exact kind of exhaust layout I was thinking off
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me, but I have dual high flow cats on my Kooks y-pipe.

That was kinda my plan. Any part numbers by chance?
I got mine for sale on byunspeed. Just warning you though, Kooks aren't cheap. But the cats did pass the sniffer (even with a cam), and my car was still excessively loud with the LM1 on it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

The only time I see cops is downtown area and sometimes highway patrol. Lts, y pipe and catback of your choice. Swap stock when going to emissions like you said or find someone who doesn't care and keep the lts on
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
The only time I see cops is downtown area and sometimes highway patrol. Lts, y pipe and catback of your choice. Swap stock when going to emissions like you said or find someone who doesn't care and keep the lts on
I live in Poway pretty close to the police station. Definitely see them alot more often then you down by the naval base haha
Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Good response. Are the headers your running long tube or no? That is the exact kind of exhaust layout I was thinking off
Yes there long tubes. I got them from ebay seller ap1ap2. I don't see him or anyone else caring the ones I got anymore. All I find is the obx long tubes who've look alot like mine without the y pipe.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally have Hookers with a magnaflow catback. Not super loud at all at idle or cruising speeds. Really wakes up around 4k. Just a heads up, if your car is OBD1, you are going to have to start smogging every year come january.

Quick Reply: F$@# california exhaust laws. Lets Go