LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear gears

I'm going to put my gears in this weekend any tricks out there to get them done right
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Have patience, lots and lots of patience.

You have the right tools? Dial indicator, dial caliper, and a flexible torque wrench that can measure rotational torque in inch-lbs?

Don't forget to measure the total thickness of all your original carrier shims together when you take everything apart to make sure that the carrier is pre-loaded properly with the new arrangement of carrier shims.

Torque the pinion nut slowly, if you over torque it and the rotational torque of the pinion gear is too high, you have to throw out the crush collar and start over again with a new one.

This is a tough job laying on your back on your garage floor. I've done it successfully, but it took lots of time and patience. Pinion pre-load and gear lash are very important, take your time and make sure you get them as close to perfect as you can.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You will also need a press. It is an extremely tricky job and very hard to get right if you are inexperienced.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
You will also need a press. It is an extremely tricky job and very hard to get right if you are inexperienced.
I'm guessing to get the old pinion/carrier bearings off and on? I rented a puller to get the old ones off, damaged them a bit but it didn't matter since I wasn't reusing them. Atleast one of the old bearings I couldn't get the puller behind, so I had to cut the inner race off with a dremel (being careful not to mark up the carrier surface).

Then I used a steel pipe and 3lb sledge hammer to push the new ones on. The pipe just has to be the right diameter so that it pushes on the inner race instead of the cage. They slide on fairly easily, I didn't have to hit them very hard at all.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
I'm guessing to get the old pinion/carrier bearings off and on? I rented a puller to get the old ones off, damaged them a bit but it didn't matter since I wasn't reusing them. Atleast one of the old bearings I couldn't get the puller behind, so I had to cut the inner race off with a dremel (being careful not to mark up the carrier surface).

Then I used a steel pipe and 3lb sledge hammer to push the new ones on. The pipe just has to be the right diameter so that it pushes on the inner race instead of the cage. They slide on fairly easily, I didn't have to hit them very hard at all.
If you have to adjust pinion shims, then you need a press to take it back apart without damage.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this job a few years ago and it was a pain. I had a hard time getting the old pinion bearing races out/new ones in. I must have done a decent job though since they haven't failed and aren't noisy. I will take it to a shop if I ever decide to change gears again.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have done it once with a little noise when on the gas that's y I am asking lol
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
If you have to adjust pinion shims, then you need a press to take it back apart without damage.
Good point made.

I read up on our differentials and found out that GM basically used the same pinion shim for almost all of them. I think it was around 0.030", but its been a few years since I've done the job and I don't remember exactly what it was.

I just reused the old pinion shim, and after I set my lash I put some white lith grease on the gears and made my pattern, came out perfect. Not that its gonna be the same for everyone, it should be for most though.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I re use the old shims on the new set-up, set it all up the run my pattern. most times i dont even need to add any shims unless the carrier itself has been replaced.

always buy a few extra crush sleaves, more times than not the pinion needs a new shim and this causes the sleave to need replaced for the new shim.

Quick Reply: Rear gears