LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pulled for "Loud exhuast" in my other car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled for "Loud exhuast" in my other car.

~Note this dos relate to my camaro, ill explain why at the bottom~
So i got pulled over for minor speed 49 in a 35 and the cop tacked on a "loud exhaust" ticket to boot. I have a 00 sunfire with a pacesetter muffler. Its a standard muffler just has a tad larger tip then normal. Never had any complaints about it being loud. I asked the cop whats wrong with it. He tells me "Any modification to a vehicle other then stock is illegal in the state of VA(Including just adding a Tip)". Then i started to think. My camaro has a cat-back exhaust and its pretty loud. 5x louder then my sunfire. So if the sound didn't catch his attention (got me for speeding) would it have just been the muffler tip? Should i rethink changing out the camaros tips to something abit smaller as well to keep the eyes of the "Law" off me? My camaro only has 3inch tips same as the sunfire size. Or was this just another cops tacking on w/e ticket he could just cuz he got me for speeding? Im thinking if i get smaller tip for my sunfire they wont think anything of it (hopefully).
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 AM
10 Second Club

i would move to a non-communist state so you dont have this problem
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

If I could I would. I'm at my end with this state alrdy. This just adds to it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

so do you have to buy stock tires or how about a blinker bulb come on for real **** that cop. and what happens when they dont make the part anymore
Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

What trips me out is It's a muffler. The car has a cat and a muffler. Not a fart can but a box muffler. The pacesetter looks the same as a flowmaster / stock muffler so how is it illegal? I think it boils down to the muffler tip. Witch is what got me thinking should we literally watch our *** on what size tip we put on? Rly tho I think cuz of how many Hondas fly around here he saw it and said **** that guy. Even tho my cars a Pontiac.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

The cop is wrong if you car passes state insp with it it's legal he is looking at the part were you are not allowed to modify the exaughst this so people don't hammer out cats and cut holes in the muffler it to make it louder has nothing to do with a cosmetic add on that doesn't make it louder
Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here is the law. Honestly ill bet he was a rookie cop most would ignore stuff like that. if you think VA is bad dont move to NY

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam1203
here is the law. Honestly ill bet he was a rookie cop most would ignore stuff like that. if you think VA is bad dont move to NY

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
Too many liberal lawyers writing this ****...leave us the **** alone..
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just another cop trying to get rid of a book of tickets I guess.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd fight it

or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment.

Says it right in the law, so if its really a plain muffler and its remotely close to stock, i bet a judge would get rid of at least that lol
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Too many liberal lawyers writing this ****...leave us the **** alone..
politicians make the law not lawyers though they do help with the wording. However this is very poorly written as most oem equipment becomes unavalible after 10 or so years.

Also in Virgina after a car becomes older then I think 20 years old a lot of the requirements for it change. Like you don't need to worry about emissions equipment. Not sure if the same is true for the exhaust system but it very well maybe.

as for your car the tip is irrelevant only the noise level. All you need to do is make sure the that it is close to stock and the ticket will be dismissed.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm goin to run the car down to a muffler shop and get them to look it over and ask them to tell me how legal or illegal this muffler is. See if i can't get them to eye everything over and say yea this is a leget fully working exhaust system. Then for the sake of argument get a cheap stock muffler just to bolt on say I changed it snap a pic then put my pacesetter back on with a smaller less eye catching tip.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

he didnt do a DB test. They will throw it out in court.
Were you a dick to the cop or something???
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

i bet you will spend more money trying to get out of it by getting a lawyer than you will by just taking it in the *** and paying the ticket. and the cops know this ****. thats why he wrote the ticket. tax dollars hard at work
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

He doesnt need a lawyer for this unless he wants out of the speeding ticket.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Nope, I was respectful to the cop and all. I know if they are goin to write a ticket you can't argue it. So i was like ok sir. And asked what was wrong with it and what law it lays under and was on my way.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Most politicians ARE lawyers
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Incase anyone was interested this is what the car has on for the cat-back
On a note this was my first car i started playing around with modding with before i got my camaro.

The cat-back it has http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-88-1479

The tip the cop said was illegal http://pacesetterexhaust.com/stainle...-tailpipe.aspx

The Tip im goin to get to replace it http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-59904FLT/

Now i do understand that tip that's on it now is pretty big and ridiculous, thought it was a 3 but it says 4in. But with it on the car and tucked under it doesn't look bad. Ied imagine the cop thought it was that big all the way back under and didn't bother to look before writing it up. lol and bash away iv heard every cmt from it looks nice to its ****. To one his own. I do have a since of respect for the muscle car's such as our Camaros / TA and all and ied never think of putting something like that on it. When i got my camaro it had some American Racing rims on it (http://www.amazon.com/American-Racin.../dp/B00264G9YY) these and i changed them out quick to a nice set of C6.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Most cops are good guys, but every once in a while you end up getting stopped by an asshat who doesn't know what he's talking about. You state seems pretty stringent when it comes to aftermarket exhausts... I'd move.

It isn't too bad here in PA. Local police aren't allowed to operate radar guns or dB meters so you're fine unless you get stopped by a state cop. I think the magic number for noise is 80 or 82 dB at cruising RPM which is around 2000. Anything goes as long as it has passed inspection and isn't above the noise limit.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Cop is full of ****. Either he doesn't know or is just giving an excuse for pulling you over. Only way you can get out of it is if your muffler has an Executive Order number from CARB. If it does not, then it is not considered street legal.
If you were pulled over in Fairfax CO then it is best to get a lawyer. No judge will listen to you unless you are represented. As already stated it is only illegal to modify the exhaust before the catalytic converter(s).

Quick Reply: Pulled for "Loud exhuast" in my other car.