LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how to learn how to blue print a engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to learn how to blue print a engine?

im rebuilding my engine this next fall. and i was wondering how to learn how to blue print the engine? i built my engine but tpis did all the measurements and balancing last time i built it a couple years ago. i found a book on ebay im thinking of buying. is there any other books or video to teach you how to blueprint to make sure everything is within tolerence.

but this is the book i found
Attached Thumbnails how to learn how to blue print a engine?-140.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would imagine TPIS would still have the specs on your engine. You could duplicate your last build since they have the "Blue print" specs.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that book is a good start. the tooling is going to cost some coin.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

thanks is there any other books or videos that would help?

im not worried about the tools i know its going to run some money. but its a investment. i already have about half of the tools. another $400 isnt going to break the bank acount
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't remember if my GM green book came with the engine specs, but I'm almost certain it did. whatever changes you make at least you will have a baseline reference.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

That book listed is a great book to start with. There is a how to rebuilt l98/lt1 boom that os also very good.

But quality dial indicators and tools dor that matter, and always measure in a controlled climate so the reading will always be correct. A machinest note book is very helpful for writing down all you measurements and keeping track of them. Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by measuring everything. You need to check how far in the hole the pistons are on all four corners. You then need to decide what your "blueprint" requirements are. Do you just want a motor that is "even" in all regards or are you building for a particular class? Are you building to go a lot of miles or go fast?

Next you need to find a good machine shop. Supply them with your requirements and check everything before you assemble the motor to make sure that they stayed within your requirements.

The same thing goes for the heads. Do you want every chamber and runner to be within a certain spec.? If so, you will pay a whole lot more for labor as everything has to be checked over and over.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading the book and getting a good knowledge of it, become good freinds with your machinist.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also look for a sunnen dial bore gauge. watch ebay for a good used one. you want one that will read .0001" same for your mic's you want ones that will read down to .0001"
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I blueprinted my engine.......I bought all my mics from ebay think I had 150 into a set from 1" to 6" and went down to 0.0001 so I got it down to the ten ten thousand of an inch. And that is about all I used besides a dial indicator for measured side clearances. Just take your time and Set up a tabet and write out all the area's Like:

Main Cap bore:
Main: 1
Main: 2
Main: etc.

Bearing thinkness:
Bear1:
Bear2: etc

Main clearnce:
Main 1: the actual size with main bore dia. plus bearing thinkness
Main 2: etc

Crank main Jurn:
Main1: journel size
Main2: etc

Crank/Bearing Tolerance
Main1: 0.0105
Main2:

Kind of easier to keep track of things and to go back and look what things were. I think it took me 2-3 evenings to do everything. Took it slow and steady to get accrate measurements.

I didn't go off of a book but I also was a machinist. I measure every possible thing that that a measurement for bearings it was measuring the object with out the bearing and then measure the bearing itself added those together and substracted the I.D item like the crank surfaces.

Also cc'ed the pistons and the heads. The cambers, runners both intake and exhaust. Which maybe wasnt so important. But figured if I was doing it might as well do everything. So I could see how close things were to eachother. And when and if I rebuild the motor again. I have record of what when bad......I could go back and look to see what it was when it was. new.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Start by measuring everything. You need to check how far in the hole the pistons are on all four corners. You then need to decide what your "blueprint" requirements are. Do you just want a motor that is "even" in all regards or are you building for a particular class? Are you building to go a lot of miles or go fast?

Next you need to find a good machine shop. Supply them with your requirements and check everything before you assemble the motor to make sure that they stayed within your requirements.

The same thing goes for the heads. Do you want every chamber and runner to be within a certain spec.? If so, you will pay a whole lot more for labor as everything has to be checked over and over.
exactly....first thing you need to do is define the extent of the word "blueprint".......
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out this months issue of HOTROD, the one with GASSERMAN on the cover. Actually has a feature on how to blueprint an engine. Its the July 2012 issue.

Quick Reply: how to learn how to blue print a engine?