LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Camaro...Need some help peeps, I'm in JAPAN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Camaro...Need some help peeps, I'm in JAPAN!!!

Hello everybody,

Name's Dave. I currently live in Japan, and of course in the land of rice and 4 cyl, I waded through the fishy waters and finally found a genuine (export only) 93 Z28 Camaro. I tell you, it's an absolute blast putting these rice burners in their place. However, the ol' Z is giving me some issues as of late. I got in the car one day, nothing notable had happened the day before or that day.

Car: 1993 Z28 Camaro (Export Japanese model)
Mods: None really, Cat delete, super JDM tyte tailights, super giant spoiler on top of the stock spoiler
Notes: Japanese export models were sold and exported without any type of EGR system. Also, 1993 = No MAF.

-Started hard. Took 3-4 sometimes 5 times to start it. It would fire and start, then die. Almost like a carbed engine LOL.

The fix: New plugs, and new Magnacore wires (10.5mm). Starts first time every time with a slight miss at idle but hardley noticable.

-Fans will not turn on unless in diagnostic mode. I understand there's a sensor on the front of the waterpump that tells the PCM when the vehicle is warm, which the PCM then takes the car out of "enriched start up mode". Without this switch, the car is always in enriched start up mode.

The..er..uh, "fix": Grounded both fan relays and ran a manual switch. Drilled a small hole under the cig lighter. Looks great. Still always running in "enriched start up mode". I've ordered a new switch, still hasn't gotten here yet.

-Last issue, I can't give the car any throttle without it threatening to die. Once seriously warm, a good 45 minutes of running, I can floor it while in neutral or park and it will fight through the break up (Of which I can only assume is a spark issue) but barely. In drive, I can't give it anything. It's extremely frustrating.

To recap, the only things changed thus far since I bought it are:

-Plugs (TR55)
-Wires (Magnacore 10.5mm)

This was a much needed tune up that helped tremendously with idle. The car starts half a key turn everytime cold or warm. If needed, I can upload a video of it running. Is anybody automatically thinking opti? I'm kinda feeling an ICM or opti....any help is greatly appreciated and please, I'm not new to BBC or SBC so throw everything you got at me.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your fuel pressure. Personally sounds like a fuel issue. If it's lower than spec, start with the fuel filter. If you just purchased the car, or have not changed it yet, it will love you once you do. If it's still low chances are the pump is showing signs of fatigue. GM's are notorious for fuel pump problems due to the fuel cooling design (if you can avoid going below 1/4 tank your pump will last noticeably longer). From there fix the coolant sensor as the SD relies heavily on temp and MAP readings to determine the fueling needs. Welcome to the world of what I call "Dumb OBD-I"
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Take off the wing. Its like putting a babys shirt on a cat, watch it run like a retard.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by duh
check your fuel pressure. Personally sounds like a fuel issue. If it's lower than spec, start with the fuel filter. If you just purchased the car, or have not changed it yet, it will love you once you do. If it's still low chances are the pump is showing signs of fatigue. GM's are notorious for fuel pump problems due to the fuel cooling design (if you can avoid going below 1/4 tank your pump will last noticeably longer). From there fix the coolant sensor as the SD relies heavily on temp and MAP readings to determine the fueling needs. Welcome to the world of what I call "Dumb OBD-I"
You're really thinking fueling? I guess it's always possible. I will grab a gauge from a buddy and check it off of the port by the firewall.

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Take off the wing. Its like putting a babys shirt on a cat, watch it run like a retard.
I've had the car for 2 weeks. The spoiler will come off as soon as I'm ready for paint. That **** is pretty much glued on there, I don't want it looking more retarted with a nasty *** hatch.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

I'd second that about fixing the coolant temp sensor. Then scan for codes. It does seem to me it's an ignition problem, but checking the fuel pressure can be done easily too. The ICM in particular is sensitive to heat, which will tend to act up as it gets hot. Of course the opti could be suspect too. A scan would really help in pinpointing the problem.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red33Z28
-Last issue, I can't give the car any throttle without it threatening to die. Once seriously warm, a good 45 minutes of running, I can floor it while in neutral or park and it will fight through the break up (Of which I can only assume is a spark issue) but barely. In drive, I can't give it anything. It's extremely frustrating.
That sounds to me like ICM. They give problems when it gets hot because, where its mounted on the side of the head. Specially after running for a while.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Yes, ICM is high on my suspect list. What makes even more sense is the doucher before me, didn't tell me the fans weren't working so I'm sure he cooked it at close to red more than once. I know like the 2nd day driving it, I looked down while stuck in traffic and was like "ZOMFJCG!" That bish was supah hot. So, yes, with the ICM being mounted in one of the most inconvenient places ever, I thought maybe it would be an issue. It only has 101,XXX Kilometers on it which translates to roughly to half in miles....50-52,XXX actual miles. I wouldn't think the opti would be bad yet but hey...it's also in a really inconvenient place. I thought about an LTCC upgrade...but I only have 5 months left with this particular Z28 so I don't think I'll spend the money.

Recap:
-Will check Fuel press today
-will dick around with the ICM...
-will double and triple check the firing order from the plugs i just replaced. I know the firing order for the engine, but I will verify plugs are in the correct location from the opti. If it was hooked up wrong from the PO, I would have installed them wrong as well because I did one wire and plug at a time, replacing them before pulling off another one.

Fuel pressure good. Moving, tapping, hitting, touching the ICM did nothing and changed nothing during running. Unable to recheck the firing order, I'll do that later. I got this shweet video though. I think it may be some sort of ignition retard happening.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Uhhh, you have no oil pressure? I hope the gauge is lying...lol
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I would check fuel pressure for sure , and whats up with oil pressure gauge ?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

What was the fuel pressure readings at?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

This site is your best friend. They have an ICM cooling mod you can do along with all sorts of good info.

Also, w/ 0 oil psi, a knock wouldn't surprise me. Though personally, I'm feeling a dying Opti if your fuel is at ~40-43 psi at priming/idle.

Seriously, check your oil asap. I'd also suggest throwing a good 15w-40/50 in there.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Woah woah chill fellas, oil pressure is fine. I was pulling out #7 plug wire and destroyed the oil pressure sending unit with my forearm. I've been crawling all over SHbox for answers, yes I saw that ICM cooling mod. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. Just wanted to let you know, I'm not the typical n00b. I have had 15 cars since January of 2010 til now. Almost every one of them being some sort of turbo or FI vehicle, requiring the utmost love and maintenance. The asshat before me that had this car clearly didn't care about preventative maintenance or upkeep and now here I am trying to fix it all.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

super giant spoiler on top of the stock spoiler

thats is your issue!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
super giant spoiler on top of the stock spoiler

thats is your issue!!!!!!!!!!!
Clearly your issue is spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"That is your issue"

Anyway, fuel pressure good. 43psi.

BTW the super giant spoiler was a factory option for Japanese export models.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Pics of the spoiler
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that knock is going to raise havoc with your knock sensor.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Interested in seeing the spoiler also.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM

BOOM!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, broken OPSU isn't too bad. O PSI is always scary bad lol. And it's less park benchy than I was expecting.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Yeah I'm not worried about the sensor. I'll replace that just like every other damn thing I have on this car. So, is everybody leaning towards the opti?

Oh yeah, side shot.

Quick Reply: 93 Camaro...Need some help peeps, I'm in JAPAN!!!