LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Beehive springs Strikes again.(edit) Now called : Engine rebuilt 2013 .

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is final as of Sunday Feb 2th 2013 .

This valve spring issue took me 3 months to fix and you don't even want to know how much it costed me.

With the plastic pan on.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man what a clean setup! the 3 month delay certainly sucks, aswell as the huge expensive i can imagine! But atleast shes back in one piece ready to hit the streets!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing much to add, just felt the need to say that you do beautiful work. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Looks like you took it in stride.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpcv2000
The camera did catch some valve train noise ( worst then it sounds really ) but it became quieter a few seconds after.
The machinist told me he took the lifters apart to clean them so maybe they were not completely recharged.

2nd part of the video valve train noise is completely gone.
The pictures you posted earlier had red assembly lube in it, it looked like Clevite but I may be wrong. That lube does a great job of protecting the valve train until the oil finally gets to it. Pull the valve covers off a new engine and it'll take a few minutes for the oil to finally make it up to the rocker arms if you are manually priming it. That said at idle very little oil is needed.

With that said the small details on that engine are amazing, things like the locking header bolts and the moisture separator.

I know it is pretty late to say, but sleeving a cylinder is always an option, I have done it twice.

Another thing that I'm a little late to mention is a drip track for your engine stand, they don't cost much and really keep engine teardown from making a mess.

Once again sucks about the machine work done to that head previously, you pay people money to do their job, not screw it up.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by noice

I know it is pretty late to say, but sleeving a cylinder is always an option, I have done it twice.

Yeah I know but when I've sent the block at the machine shop he told me all cylinders were oval so this is when I've decided to swap block for a nice 500,000 KM one and oversized it to 0.040 over to match my pistons.

Machinist also took the lifters apart to clean them so this maybe the reason why it was a bit noisy at start up even if I was able to built a 25 PSI oil pressure just with the starter while priming the oil pump.

Quick Reply: Beehive springs Strikes again.(edit) Now called : Engine rebuilt 2013 .