LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'95 Camaro On a Diet

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lighter car handles better too, honestly I'm surprised that it took this long to get a response like that
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Interior brackets are all out except the passenger side rear seat belt bracket. I even cut out the antenna bracket I need to get an angle drill to get the last bracket out of the interior and the hood bumper bracket by the fuse box in the engine bay.

This week I will get the tubing welded in place for the rad support and start pulling my exhaust so I can get the trans pulled soon. Then it will be time to put this giant puzzle back together.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Nice!!! I didn't see but did u go with a lighter carpet to ?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TSAEB
Nice!!! I didn't see but did u go with a lighter carpet to ?
No, but I did remove all of the padding off the back of my carpet. I ended up with 15# of padding I'm planning on some Speed Inc carpet later on.

Last edited by Turnin20s; 02-25-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Interior brackets are all out except the passenger side rear seat belt bracket. I even cut out the antenna bracket I need to get an angle drill to get the last bracket out of the interior and the hood bumper bracket by the fuse box in the engine bay.

This week I will get the tubing welded in place for the rad support and start pulling my exhaust so I can get the trans pulled soon. Then it will be time to put this giant puzzle back together.

Do you need those angly brackets in the car to make it stronger?

How much did all those brackets weigh?

I'm debating on if I should cross the line to "race car" or leave the brackets in for now...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jason94z
Do you need those angly brackets in the car to make it stronger?

How much did all those brackets weigh?

I'm debating on if I should cross the line to "race car" or leave the brackets in for now...
I honestly don't think they make the car stronger, but they tie into the wheel wells and make them more solid. I'm planning on getting a Wolfe mini tub kit next winter so I figured since I had everything out I may as well cut that stuff out and save some time later. On top of that I haven't had a rear seat for some time and I have 3 point SFCs at the moment.

I broke my scale weighing my front bumper support Turned and hooked the support on my pants and the support slipped out of my hand and smashed the display on my new scale. I would say that they all weigh about 10#. I took more #s of wiring out than these brackets.

I vote "race car"
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

I just went through the "weight reduction list" and added up the stuff I had removed before this winter and the 200 +#s I have removed so far and I should be damn close to hitting 28XX even with my wide *** front tires

I need to get it finished up and head over to the saw mill where my buddy works and put it on the scale. I can say that I'm excited to see the results, but I have quite a ways to go...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

No, but I did remove all of the padding off the back of my carpet. I ended up with 15# of padding I'm planning on some Speed Inc carpet later on.
project looking nice!!!

I did that to at first with my current project then i purchased material called ozite... Waaay lighter... If i find the sheet where i weighed everything ill post it... drag or drag/street guys have positive results with ozite material.. The mostly street guys dont since the more in and out movement seems to tear through.. But it seem in your case it will work out great
not mine but a link...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...tall-pics.html

I remember even the stock carpet with no padding was a little heavy and bulky to lift... the ozite material (enough to cover the front to rear) was easily picked up with one hand. For sure look into it.

do you have a welder? have u seen where the guys cut out the rear trunk and make it straight? looks sweet thought about it but my welding sucks *** so didnt want to try it yet. lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...runk-area.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...tire-well.html

Last edited by TSAEB; 02-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TSAEB
project looking nice!!!

I did that to at first with my current project then i purchased material called ozite... Waaay lighter... If i find the sheet where i weighed everything ill post it... drag or drag/street guys have positive results with ozite material.. The mostly street guys dont since the more in and out movement seems to tear through.. But it seem in your case it will work out great
not mine but a link...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...tall-pics.html

I remember even the stock carpet with no padding was a little heavy and bulky to lift... the ozite material (enough to cover the front to rear) was easily picked up with one hand. For sure look into it.

do you have a welder? have u seen where the guys cut out the rear trunk and make it straight? looks sweet thought about it but my welding sucks *** so didnt want to try it yet. lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...runk-area.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...tire-well.html
Thanks for the input

I am either going to get the Speed Inc carpet or the ozite. I'm going to see how loud my car is with the stripped stock carpet and go from there.

Yes I do have a welder and next year I am planning to cut the rear floor up, but I'm going to replace the metal I cut out with aluminum panels that I will be bead rolling. Then I will build an aluminum pan to go from the gas tank to the rear bumper cover so the underside is smooth and not a parachute from not having a support back there.

I still have to pull the trans, setup my clutch, install the wiring, fit the hood, and trouble shoot anything that I may run into. Winter is getting shorter and shorter so I don't want to add too much to my plate if you know what I mean. I would like to be ready to go when the roads are clean, and that hasn't ever happened lol
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Tonight after work I spent 3 hours in the garage making the filler pieces for the rad support, tacked them in and started to weld them when I ran out of shielded gas for the welder So tomorrow I will have to get a new tank and try to finish the damn thing. I tried to test fit the lid setup again, and I don't know if I will be able to use it even after all of this work

Yes I know my car is rusty, I will be taking care of that before it gets all put back together. I just need to find some paint that matches Polo Green decent.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered 4 ABS sheets to fill in the areas in the dash where the isn't going to be anything anymore. The sheets are 12"x12" and 1/8" thick, they are textured on one side and smooth on the other. I'm going to see how the texture matches the stock dash, and if it doesn't I have some 3D Carbon vinyl that I can cover it with and it will still look good IMO.

And as soon as the Raptor shift light shows up I'm going to be fitting it in the factory cluster.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered 4 ABS sheets to fill in the areas in the dash where the isn't going to be anything anymore. The sheets are 12"x12" and 1/8" thick, they are textured on one side and smooth on the other. I'm going to see how the texture matches the stock dash, and if it doesn't I have some 3D Carbon vinyl that I can cover it with and it will still look good IMO.

And as soon as the Raptor shift light shows up I'm going to be fitting it in the factory cluster.
I'd love to see how that turns out.
You are right - racecar it is LOL good bye brackets
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jason94z
I'd love to see how that turns out.
You are right - racecar it is LOL good bye brackets
I'll be sure to post some pics
Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

The sheets of ABS plastic showed up today and I'm not really impressed with them. And they are pretty heavy at almost 1# per sheet. They are scratched up pretty bad and the backsides are not smooth. So I'll get them cut out and see how it looks before I decide what I'm going to do.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Raptor light sitting on one of the textured sheets. I don't think that I can tear the shift light apart to install the LEDs in the cluster. I tried prying the plastic cap off, but it seems like its all glued together. I don't want to break the damn thing, but I really would like to get it apart.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

I got the shift light apart today, they are epoxied together so I just took a small screw driver and broke the epoxy from the tube and the guts slide right out. Now I need to cut the hard wires going to the LEDs and solder some wires to them. Hopefully it works after I'm done with it.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

How did you set up your PS?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
How did you set up your PS?
I was just about to ask. It looks as if he is running 2 pulleys behind the harmonic balancer. Interesting
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

i like it man ... did you make that bracket for the alt? and also looking for more info on you pulley set up.

Quick Reply: '95 Camaro On a Diet