LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 INTO a ls1 body, teach me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 INTO a ls1 body, teach me.

I know this isn't a popular option compared to a ls1 swap. But can it be done if one had a great lt1 engine and wanted to put it into their 98 fbody donor car? I think I know but don't wanna show my ignorance simplest way to accomplish this if one was going to take a step back in fbody evolution.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can do it. It would not be as easy as just throwing the engine and tranny in there. You'd also need to swap out the k-member, I/P harness, gauge cluster, front lamp harness, and some other minor issues. Another issue is fuel. The lines are different, and the LS1 system operates at 4 bar rather than 3. And you'd need a 98+ tranny crossmember, because the bolt holes are different on the subframe.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribing.

I am seriously considering doin this too.
I have a very good 396 CI engine and built tranny combo and am considering a 98 roller for the swap.
A nice feature of the 98 car is the direct over the radiator intake path to begin with.
I already have a BMR Lt1 K member too.

I already did this swap the other way around: An LS7 into my 1996.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Would the fact the 98 camaro I'm considering being set up for a 6 speed cause additional headache? Or would
The swap to the auto from the lt1 be straight up?

The k member doesn't seem like a biggie, any suggestions on what one? As for the ip harness that's a must and the lt cluster as well? No way to make the ls1 work simply anyway?

Okay the fuel is something I didn't consider. What all is needed for that to work?

RGSS if you figure it out before me come help me out this is just all up in the air right now.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any tranny conversion would be the same as with an LT1 car, the sheet metal is the same. Just use the LT1 engine harness.

I can't answer those wiring questions with certainty. You'd have to look at pinouts and see what everything goes to. You can ask others that have swapped dashes if the 98+ cluster will work. Another thing I forgot to mention is ABS. If you want to keep it, you'll have to figure out how to adapt the LT1 harness to the LS1 connector, because it's different. I tore out all the LS1 brake lines and swapped to the LT1 lines and ABS block to avoid that. Or take the easy way and do away with ABS.

No, the K-member is not a big deal. This swap is a lot easier if you have an entire LT1 parts car. For the fuel, I'm not sure how you could fix that. Possibly some braided lines going into the LT1 rails, and using the LT1 regulator to bring it down to 3 bar.

The way I did it, I completely gutted a 99 V6 Firebird and swapped EVERYTHING over. I swapped the LT1 tank and fuel lines (which was not fun), every wiring harness, and all suspension.

What are you wanting to do this for? If you like the LS1 front end, interior, or brakes, it would be much easier to swap those onto an LT1 car.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

I would like to keep the suspension and rear from the ls1 but sounds like that'll be more work possibly. The lt car is complete. Engine, k member, harness and trans, put in with the ls1 body then figuring out how the fuel will work. I don't care about the abs that crap can go.

The lt car in question is a firebird and the possible ls body is a manual camaro. Was just an idea to see what would need to happen.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
I would like to keep the suspension and rear from the ls1 but sounds like that'll be more work possibly. The lt car is complete. Engine, k member, harness and trans, put in with the ls1 body then figuring out how the fuel will work. I don't care about the abs that crap can go.

The lt car in question is a firebird and the possible ls body is a manual camaro. Was just an idea to see what would need to happen.
why not fix the 'bird ?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only part of the suspension you'd really need to change over is the k-member, because of the motor mounts. Everything else is the same, except the brakes. Those are easy to swap over.

If it's a V6, the rear may be an open diff, which you don't want. I used my LT1 rear end because it already had 3.73's in it, then swapped the LS1 rear brakes, axles, and calipers onto it.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tranny crossmembers between LT1 and LS1 are different. The LS1 auto tranny mounts about 2 inches back from where the LT1 mounts.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS Sick
The LS1 auto tranny mounts about 2 inches back from where the LT1 mounts.
The difference is the subframe mounting holes. The 2 holes on the driver side are further back from the front of the car. The transmission sits in the same location for both engines.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure of engine demensions, but when I put an LS1 tranny behind an LT1 the Transmission mounting pad was 2 inches back from the LT1 4L60 rear mount..
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS1 sits further forward in the engine bay to make up for it. Both cars have the tranny sitting in the same spot, which is why the driveshafts are interchangeable. I have an LS1 tranny crossmember under my LT1/T56 setup in a 99 Firebird, with no modification needed.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM

For a second I was hoping you were going to swap in a Gen V LT1 into an LS car.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Launching!

same here, trans mount was about 2" off.. LT1 4l60e in a 2002 v6 I have bmr's trans/torque arm mount...sent it back to them to be modified to line up with the trans mount...I have pics somewhere on my comp

Quick Reply: Lt1 INTO a ls1 body, teach me.