LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

reluctor fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reluctor fabrication

So I have an idea but I need someone to recommend someone to make me a reluctor wheel. I love the idea of a 411 PCM managing my engine. I hate the price of the 24x conversion. I figure (depending on the price of a custom reluctor wheel) I can get the 411 pcm running in my car for about 1/4 of the total outlay of the 24x. I'm not looking for a crank reluctor, I need one made for the cam sensor. It literally needs to be a flat circle and balanced to 5000 RPM. I'm looking for someone that might now a shop or person that would be willing to take what I'm trying to do and make me one. If it works out it will be tons cheaper, still get the 411 tuning capability, and be a little bit easier to change the wiring harness. Modify the Opti, and then it runs just like a '02 Express van. Only difference is the vortec distributor is replaced by the opti.

My other choice is to stuff the Vortec disttributor in the back of the intake and use it as the cam signal only, but I really would rather have a reluctor wheel made then try to stuff any type of distributor under the cowl of my Z. Anybody have any recommendations on who to get ahold of???
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tinbender (I think that's right) did a conversion awhile back, but he did use the vortec 350 distributor. I wonder if there is a way you could use a vortec distributor under the cowl for the cam sensor, but not for spark distribution......still using the opti housing to route the spark.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I considered that as well. Downside is you still need to install it before the engine goes in, and it darn nearakes the intake unserviceable with the engine in the car. I wish I had access to a water jet. That would make this idea a little easier to fulfill.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

EFIConnection did something that took alot of thinking and R&D. If you're trying to "build a better mouse trap"? You're gonna get snapped. They made it as easy as you can get it. Even more-so now with their new kit coming out.

The only other way it gets easier is to do a full LS swap.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your probably looking at least 300 to 500 just to get a file made for the wheel then add the cost to cut it out.

i had a control panel door laser cut through a shop we do a ton of work with and it cost 250 for him to wright the file and another 150 for the door to get cut out.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Any updates? Me and Tinbender are working on this same project
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

You can run the vortec dist. as a cam sensor only and efi connection even sells a cap that just covers the sensor. The dist can be removed in the car, but it has to come out with the intake, there is enough room to just get it out of the drive hole then you slide it forward.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Im more interested in cam sensor in the opti housing. This would eliminate modding intake and lowering engine to drop the distributor in. EFI has a great kit but they do not sell the cam sensor individually anyways which is ok cause they gotta make money its a good setup but over priced for the average joe just trying to run a 411 setup.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kevin Reed
Im more interested in cam sensor in the opti housing. This would eliminate modding intake and lowering engine to drop the distributor in. EFI has a great kit but they do not sell the cam sensor individually anyways which is ok cause they gotta make money its a good setup but over priced for the average joe just trying to run a 411 setup.
Speak of the devil. "I'm here" lol. Wow I thought NOBODY noticed my build ;-). Kevin contacted me adout this some time ago and got me fired up again. So here we go I'll get on the PC and copy excerpts of our discussions, I'll be right back, this is my tablet✳
Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kevin Reed
Hey been there lol. Now didnt we talk about a cam sensor but crank trigger style at one time? Is that still a possibility? Like maybe notching the balancer or the pulley and making it think its a cam signal?

tinbender
Ya I'm still working things over in the ol bean. Best with least crap involved

"Kevin Reed"
Do they make a cam trigger with 4x?

tinbender
Not that I'm aware of

"Kevin Reed
I meant 1x. Thats what we need right? 1x? Got the 4x crank right. Do u remember a link I sent a while back that had the optical sensor in the distributor? What u tgink about the other way around? A cam sensor in the opti spark! Theres got to be a way. That would eliminate a different intake and trying to squeeze a distributor back there.

tinbender
I do have an idea to mod the option to a 1X trigger. Have you got a dead opti that you could send me to play with??

Kevin Reed
I have a good one lol. But its a spare engine! What ya thinking? And I was going ro tey to get a cam sensor to tinker with. But if u got an idea. I was going to purchase a vortec dis to use the reluctor and sensor. U have more equipment to use than me lol.

im thinking this may be a direct swap. Check attached pictures. The cam sensor is held down with same size bolts look rhe same distance, and is a flat sensor. May need spacers under it or something. This looks semi easy. What ya think?

tinbender
Im not sure without them in my hands but that was my original thoughts, when I get it here I'll dig into it where there is a will there is a way lol. I haven't been able to contact lex yet. I think he is 2 or 3 hours ahead of me so he is probably asleep

Kevin Reed
I havent mailed that yet but I will later im at a buddys ges going to let me look at his 4.3 distributor which I assume are the same as 5.0 5.7 amd just see if that reluctor will pop out and if it looks like ittle be easy.

tinbender
Cool

Kevin Reed
H@!^C*@&. Called our tunimg place and they still want 300 for a tune and 125hr on the dyno. 425 seems like alot of money. Good Lord!!

tinbender
I would guess. Sheesh. If you were closer we could go together an buy an EFI LIVE for the price of both of our rigs. Lol

Kevin Reed
Alright I fabbed up some wonderful drawings lol. I sent u a video and pics. Let me describe.
The pictures, now I rotated the engine and scraped 2 markes on the metal housing and aluminum housing of opti. Now there are 2 marks cause I rotated the engine back and forth and thats the section that the piston didnt move. And youll see the sexond puc I circled 3 holes thats where they mount to block as im sure you know on yours.
Now the video if u watch how I turn it, one would think if you could widen these holes or even weld some sort of openimg for the bolts to move in you could loosen these 3 bolts, adjust the dizzy to get it started and tighten then adjust timing in pcm.

tinbender
I like it, that gives me a lot of information. Might not need to ask so many questions ltr.

I'll give it my best shot and I'll be discussing it as "we" go

Kevin Reed
Also sent u the harness that plugs in to the opti as it may work with the vortec plug. And also a question about the opti do u think doesnt it have the same low voltage that rhe vortec requies? Could you just not use the high voltage side and just fill in the windows on the disc or cut them out?

tinbender
The option runs on 5 vdc. And the 411 needs 12vdc inputs hence our problem

Kevin Reed
Ok I thought the opti ran a 12 and a 5

Tinbender
No it has only one input voltage

Kevin Reed
Ok I misunderstood. Im still figuring out how they work!

tinbender
I don't think that is right. At all. The 2 5vdc he is showing (I think) are outputs to the ECU. and the 12vdc should be 5vdc supply with d as ground. ??? I would have to look it up to be sure. The opti has 2 -5vdc optical readers hence the 2 sets of windows. And these outputs go to the ECU

"Kevin Reed
Ok I misunderstood. Im still figuring out how they work!

Youd know more than I lol. I just kept reading about high and low voltage eve...

tinbender
I may be all wet??? I did run from the opti-no-spark. Lol

Kevin Reed
You did lol. Its funny I typed in vortec reluctor in optispark and here’s what I found on google ... your truck lol. Every time I start a google search about this your on google images

tinbender
I'm famous. !!!
lOl

Kevin Reed
You know I just thought of it but I got a guy that o wemt to school with right down the rd that could help with machining if you think of anything. I could probably get him to copy efi connections kit lol. I mean or even mock up a setup like it.

I was even thing hell cut a portion of the dist rod off and weld it to the portion of the opti thats there when u take the rotor and optical disc out. I may go this route. 40 for a used distr or 50 for new then 30-40 for a used opti. Cut the shaft add the sensor in opti and boom u got a 100$ sensor. Beats the 800 from efi

tinbender
Now you are thinking like me. ;-)

Kevin Reed
I may go ahead and purchase a 5.7 dis. Is the 4.3 dist have the same internals? My Buddy has one.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...brication.html

tinbender
I believe so just smaller

Kevin Reed
Sensors are the same. I would assume the reluctor would be the same 1x signal?

Tinbender
Yes I believe so
Kevin Reed
Well I did find that the shaft on the 4.3 is balanced. So ill scratch that and play it safe. How will the one we get on the opti get balanced?

tinbender
??? Never heard of such a thing.

Kevin Reed
Would it need to be? I mean its a ring with uneven cuts and holes lol. Think it will wobble at 3k rpms and fall off lol

tinbender
I wasn't worried the ring should be balanced already. And we are just moving it ???

Kevin Reed
I guess your right there. So I guess welding it to another shaft wouldn’t matter.

tinbender
I don't think so. ???

Kevin Reed
Your adding question marks making me think u really dont know hhaha. Kidding. I found a few more threads u may be interested in. Seems like more people are intested in doing this in I thought. Sounds perfect though. No dropping engine for distributor, plug wires and all in same location.
Do you think its possible to convert this single coil setup to coil over plug?

tinbender
Only with 24X. Or 52X not the 4X. Been down that road already. Sorry. What site are you seeing the interest?

Kevin Reed
I sent u one a few emails back. They even mentioned u lol. I just googled vortec cam sensor in opti and found a few mentioned it but no replies. You’d be surprised

Wow that took some work :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Note if this works the 411 swap will be within range of a lot of people. it would be nice to not have to spend the money on a manifold mod as well.. hum???? "Data from Star Trek" processing - processing lol.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
Speak of the devil. "I'm here" lol. Wow I thought NOBODY noticed my build ;-). Kevin contacted me adout this some time ago and got me fired up again. So here we go I'll get on the PC and copy excerpts of our discussions, I'll be right back, this is my tablet✳
You have fans Tinbender. We may not always speak up, but you have been noticed and we are out there. LOL
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
You have fans Tinbender. We may not always speak up, but you have been noticed and we are out there. LOL
broght a tear to my eyes lol thanks man
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
broght a tear to my eyes lol thanks man
LOL You're welcome. I rarely come to the site anymore....and have been tapering off from the LT1/LS1 world and building a 409. (Funny that both Ellis and I have called the LT1 the 409 of the 90's....and now I'm finally getting to build a real 409. It only took me 25 years to get one.)
I still really enjoy seeing updates on this stuff and glad to see people still pioneering parts and making things work. How are you liking that TPI intake on your LT1? I have always thought the Tuned port 350 was about the best truck engine that chevy made.....and then never put into a truck.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
LOL You're welcome. I rarely come to the site anymore....and have been tapering off from the LT1/LS1 world and building a 409. (Funny that both Ellis and I have called the LT1 the 409 of the 90's....and now I'm finally getting to build a real 409. It only took me 25 years to get one.)
I still really enjoy seeing updates on this stuff and glad to see people still pioneering parts and making things work. How are you liking that TPI intake on your LT1? I have always thought the Tuned port 350 was about the best truck engine that chevy made.....and then never put into a truck.
frigin right, GM made some real boners LOL. I do like it a lot, tons of torque at 2000 r's cruises loaded better than empty I think. my nephews 1999 has a Z28 TPI 350 in it and getting 20mpg with a lot of TQ.. As soon as the weather breaks here, 18 inches of snow at the house, I am going to build my exhaust system then go to the Dyno for the last time and get her settled in. since the TPI went on she is a wee bit lean, likes to knock on acceleration. I cant imagin what it'll be like once it is right!!!! proly have to relearn driving lol
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

P.S. I have never been near a "real running 409" so I have no base to reply but it sounds way cool
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

And I run in to the Tinman again. LOL. I sent my 0411 out today for a LS1 calibration, and ordered the DIY harness kit from BP auto, now I just got to rake the funds for the 24x kit from mike. already got the TPI intake cuz of the tinmans write ups. honestly cant wait to see how it turns out.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by superspirit
And I run in to the Tinman again. LOL. I sent my 0411 out today for a LS1 calibration, and ordered the DIY harness kit from BP auto, now I just got to rake the funds for the 24x kit from mike. already got the TPI intake cuz of the tinmans write ups. honestly cant wait to see how it turns out.
you will hate it!!!! LOL!!! in a car it outa be a tire burnin crazzy piece of iron. i'm interisted in a time slip from a car with this setup
Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

It's going in a pickup to tow a camper, tired of going up hills at 20 mph. LOL. but if they ever reopen the track here, I will make a pass or two.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

today has been a good day, I found a thin "washer" like 5 inch's in diameter - may be my starting point??? and I met a gentilman whos father runs a fab shop locally. so now to find a sutable sensor.. I work in CNC machines, so I have a lot of catalogs to look through. I'll keep ya posted.

oh a really nasty idea is forming in my lil bean Cheap M90 SBC manifold!!! muh ha ha ha

Quick Reply: reluctor fabrication