LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gm847

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gm847

Hey guys im still looking for a gm847 if anybody has a good one the wanna sell reasonable please let me know thanks.I DO NOT NEED ANY ADVICE. I DO NOT NEED TO LIST THE SPECS OF MY LT JUST LOOKING FOR A GOOD USED GM847. THANK YOU

Last edited by 94blackz; 08-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM

Why don't you just do a custom grind just asking
Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by slow1994z28
That would cost a bit more than a used 847; but then, you'd have a brand new cam with lobes that would likely be designed on newer technoloy and be a better match for your set-up, and thus, more efficient.

And.....you'd have it in a week......ending your search/wait.

Just sayin'.......

KW
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94blackz
Hey guys im still looking for a gm847 if anybody has a good one the wanna sell reasonable please let me know thanks.
What kind of mods do you have to support an 847? Just want to make sure you have to spin that thing to 7000 to hit it's peak power. And you'll probably be losing power down low. If it's the sound your after a custom grind can sound plenty nasty, and actually make power where you need it.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone on this damn website just say yes i have one for sale or no i do not have one? It doesnt matter if i have a bone stock 300,000 mile lt1 roadmaster wagon or a nelson built 414 badass!!!!! All im doing is asking if someone has a used cheap 847 i donot need one. I want one just to throw in and get my own opinion of it. Thank guys im not trying to be an *** but this is all this site does any more. C'mon
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow1994z28
A custom grind would be ideal if i wanted all i could get outa the car. This is just a fun weekend beat it car that has became a test dummy so to speak i just havnt ever run an 847 of my own and i wana see what i can get out of it if i run across one this year. If nothing shows up by fall ill probly call loydd and have him cut me one as close as he can
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is just a fun weekend beat it car that has became a test dummy so to speak i just havnt ever run an 847 of my own and i wana see what i can get out of it if i run across one this year. If nothing shows up by fall ill probly call loydd and have him cut me one as close as he can
This should have been part of the first post there. You seem to be aware of the website and how it works, we have to act like that towards people cause NO ONE ever listens.

The average person would have posted up, got one, then put it in and then complained how he makes **** power. Then would have posted how everything is stock and hes spinning to 5500rpm.

I don't think as many people would try and sway your choice if you had said it was just an experiment in the first place lol
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Can anyone on this damn website just say yes i have one for sale or no i do not have one? It doesnt matter if i have a bone stock 300,000 mile lt1 roadmaster wagon or a nelson built 414 badass!!!!! All im doing is asking if someone has a used cheap 847 i donot need one. I want one just to throw in and get my own opinion of it. Thank guys im not trying to be an *** but this is all this site does any more. C'mon
So your complaining about people with more knowledge trying to give you advise?

A custom grind would be ideal if i wanted all i could get outa the car. This is just a fun weekend beat it car that has became a test dummy so to speak i just havnt ever run an 847 of my own and i wana see what i can get out of it if i run across one this year. If nothing shows up by fall ill probly call loydd and have him cut me one as close as he can
If you are wondering how much you will get out of it do a search. There are plenty of guys who have used this cam on a stock car and posted their results. The ones are smart (and learn from their mistakes) then did the right thing, took it out, and put a proper cam in for their setup in. If you're wanting to make your car fun for weekend cruising then an 847 is the last cam you want to use. It's going to sound cool, but will make a lot less power and drive like **** at lower rpms. A cam like that requires a stall, gears, correct fueling at a minimum to get it workable on the street. To be able to actually use the damn thing you need to bottom end that will spin past 7k and heads that won't choke it off. I'm sure you watched a video of one at idle and just knew you had to have one... It's your money to waste.

I'm seriously starting to get why D-Money sounds like such an ******* all the time!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZFreie
This should have been part of the first post there. You seem to be aware of the website and how it works, we have to act like that towards people cause NO ONE ever listens.

The average person would have posted up, got one, then put it in and then complained how he makes **** power. Then would have posted how everything is stock and hes spinning to 5500rpm.

I don't think as many people would try and sway your choice if you had said it was just an experiment in the first place lol
Point taken just gets a lil frustrating. Lol
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jewbacca
So your complaining about people with more knowledge trying to give you advise?

If you are wondering how much you will get out of it do a search. There are plenty of guys who have used this cam on a stock car and posted their results. The ones are smart (and learn from their mistakes) then did the right thing, took it out, and put a proper cam in for their setup in. If you're wanting to make your car fun for weekend cruising then an 847 is the last cam you want to use. It's going to sound cool, but will make a lot less power and drive like **** at lower rpms. A cam like that requires a stall, gears, correct fueling at a minimum to get it workable on the street. To be able to actually use the damn thing you need to bottom end that will spin past 7k and heads that won't choke it off. I'm sure you watched a video of one at idle and just knew you had to have one... It's your money to waste.

I'm seriously starting to get why D-Money sounds like such an ******* all the time!
Didnt hear anything useful in either of you posts. Thanks for the input that i didnot ask for twice. Lookin for a cam not advice or a chance to fill out a questionair. LOOKING FOR THE CAM!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZFreie

The only problem I see with that is it has been tested before... Plenty of guys have done this exact same build, and regretted it! And the OP gets pissed when someone tells him something other than what he wants to hear.

Besides, if he's looking for a cam to buy this is not the right section. He should be posting up a WTB thread in the classifieds. Posting in a TECH section usually leads to people posting up comments about his build, not about whether they have one lying around.

Damnit, seriously, I'm not trying to turn into a clone of Dwayne, I promise.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Didnt hear anything useful in either of you posts. Thanks for the input that i didnot ask for twice. Lookin for a cam not advice or a chance to fill out a questionair. LOOKING FOR THE CAM!!!!!!!
Of course, because I didn't tell you it would it the fastestest car in the world and beat all the ricers it's not useful advise... Ok... The 847 is the best cam EVAR! for stock LT1's.

And if you're truly looking for the cam, THEN POST IN THE WTB SECTION! This is a tech section.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

The only problem I see with that is it has been tested before... Plenty of guys have done this exact same build, and regretted it! And the OP gets pissed when someone tells him something other than what he wants to hear.

Besides, if he's looking for a cam to buy this is not the right section. He should be posting up a WTB thread in the classifieds. Posting in a TECH section usually leads to people posting up comments about his build, not about whether they have one lying around.

Damnit, seriously, I'm not trying to turn into a clone of Dwayne, I promise.
Not right for my build? So what do i have that is so wrong for this cam? What is my motor? How did you find out? I never mentioned what it was.thanks agian for clogging up this post. Im shure your a good guy and k ow your stuff but i believe you have put your cart infront of your horse.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Of course, because I didn't tell you it would it the fastestest car in the world and beat all the ricers it's not useful advise... Ok... The 847 is the best cam EVAR! for stock LT1's.

And if you're truly looking for the cam, THEN POST IN THE WTB SECTION! This is a tech section.
Is this ls1 tech or facebook? Wow
Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Not right for my build? So what do i have that is so wrong for this cam? What is my motor? How did you find out? I never mentioned what it was.thanks agian for clogging up this post. Im shure your a good guy and k ow your stuff but i believe you have put your cart infront of your horse.
Ok, if you've got a built engine that'll run up to 7k+, a good 3600 RPM stall, a good set of heads and a fuel system that will support it then the 847 will work for you. You'd end up with a bit more power going with a custom grind with better cam profiles. And it'd be a lot of fun as a weekend car. If not it's going to end up being a dog on the street that's no fun to drive. I just hate seeing people waste money on fruitless pursuits that others have already tried at and failed. A forum is about sharing knowledge so that others can learn.

PS Maybe it was wrong on my part, but I just assumed you had a stock-ish engine. Most guys with max effort engines that could actually use a cam like the 847 would probably be going with a newer cam design.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Is this ls1 tech or facebook? Wow
Like I said, your money to waste. Just don't bitch and moan if it doesn't run like you want it to.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the worst cam you could use. The guy I sold my 2 year old blueprinted 355" to put one in a '95 M6 car with a set of Lloyd's heads and Hooker long tubes, I tuned it for him. Made 455 rwhp, and peaked well before 7000. LOL
He road races the car, and I hear it's pretty fast.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
It's not the worst cam you could use. The guy I sold my 2 year old blueprinted 355" to put one in a '95 M6 car with a set of Lloyd's heads and Hooker long tubes, I tuned it for him. Made 455 rwhp, and peaked well before 7000. LOL
Hey, if it peaks before 7k then awesome. I've always heard you want to spin it that high to get the power out of it. Maybe I read that from 96Caprice, so...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Yes ive heard alot of mixed results and i know every motor is diff.mine is perfectly happy at 6500 and i have a fairly well set of stock ported heads. Just wana try the cam and get my own results and have some fun. The zl1 cam i put in my 482 shoulda been a mistake also but it turned out real nice.

Quick Reply: gm847