LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What should my car idle at?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should my car idle at?

I've always had my car idle @ around 1000-1100 RPMs. My boyf disconnected my intake & we realized my MAF sensor was broken. Now the car is idling @ around 500 RPMs when you start it & then dying. You have to keep gassing it to keep it alive & then after normal driving on the highway for 10-15 minutes, it's fine. We're going to call around to find a MAF sensor today but some guy @ LS2.com told us that 500 RPMs is normal for my car to idle @. I have a hard time believing that's true. Can anyone verify? Thanx in advance.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

800 RPMS for a M6 not sure about a A4
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Sorry, didn't realize I didn't have any info on my car in my sig...
http://el2ik4.homestead.com/erika06.html Here's some quick info, it's a 1994 Trans Am GT M6.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it's stalling at idle, that's a pretty obvious indicator that the idle is way too low. As for the MAF, I would highly suggest going with a stock one instead of aftermarket. Aftermarket MAFs like a Granatelli are a HUGE pita to tune, and often end up doing more damage than good.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Mine idles at around 600 rpm
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some clarification. The computer (stock) idle speed is 800rpms. your tack will likely read 1000rpms - its normal for the tach to be off. If you hooked up a scanner to the car the idlespeed would read ~800rpms.

Next, its sounds like an IAC/TB issue. I'm not convinced a bad MAF sensor would cause a bunk idle. The car goes into speed density mode, but that's about it - should idle where its been idling.

What exactly did your friend do when you say "disconnected the intake?" Also, what part of the MAF was broken? Do you have a code/SES light?

Ryan
Old 05-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Mine Idles @ 600 rpms and It's M6. BTW nice car, I was looking into picking up that hood for My T/A GT too. It's nice to actually see it on a car rather than by itself on a website.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 97 Z28 M6, and it idles @ 1000. As for the car dying, one time i took out my intake elbow for something adn tried to start it and it died, the sensors connected to the intake elbow should be pluged in or this will happen, so if something is broken, im sure it would act the same way. Good Luck
Old 05-10-2004, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

800-1000 for an M6
Old 05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Mine starts out around 800, but once i'm up at operating temps, it bounces around at like 550rpms, even touches as low as like 520rpms sometimes... Hasn't stalled on me yet...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Teching In

What I did was removed the intake tube from the Intake on the engine and w/out thinking tried to start it... i was tired, not paying attention to what i was doing. It wouldnt start. The MAF was not unplugged when this was done.

Put it back on, and thats when the problem began. Im convinced that the problem was a mixture of a ghetto rigged MAF and the TPS not resetting itself and the computer relearning. (The guy who had the car before obviously tryed to ghetto this thing by removing the metal fin in the middle of the stock MAF with a plasma cutter and ghetto removed the screen aswell.) My guess is he thought he'd gain 15hp out of it but i guess he forgot the the Type R Sticker to make it work Maybe he wanted to rig up a Granatelli?

Anyway...i loosened the TPS on the intake and bugded it around while playing with the throttle and got it to idle properly, how it worked i dont know, but it did. and now the car will start fine, idle low for a few seconds then jump up to 1100 and stay steady.

All seems to be fine now, i bought a new MAF for the car... and cleaned the existing K&N Filter that was not hooked up and just rolling around in its lil area...so for the last year or so her car hasnt had an air filter

Wonderful, huh? Makes me wanna
Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

No wonder you had a bad MAF... wow. How crappy has your oil looked after changes with all that shitty unfiltered air getting in there?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by enisguy
No wonder you had a bad MAF... wow. How crappy has your oil looked after changes with all that shitty unfiltered air getting in there?

Without ragging on the car to much because i also, like Erika, have fallen in love with the thing... it needs alot of work. The engine is unbalanced and was thrown together pretty much. Front main seal leaks and the engine supposedly has around 30k miles (Either they lied to her when she bought the car, or they did a **** poor job of putting it together...i think its a mixture of both)

Transmission needs some work possibly the fluid changed and the reverse gear looked at. Perhaps a tranny rebuild. The engine should be rebuilt.

The engine bay needs to be cleaned from a fire and basically gutted out and redone...

Also has an air leak somewhere in the intake, and i'll be damned if i can find it anywhere.

A new TPS, etc etc...

The car is beatup, but i will never allow her to get rid of it, cause i would take that car in a heartbeat and make her my own and turn it into the beautiful car that it is suppose to be.

Later when we get the $$$ i will do it anyway and we will be driving a piece of muscle car beauty

As the car sits now, she is no slacker...even with all these problems, ive never lost a race in her. And im sure with proper tuning she'd be much quicker. It hesitates on the throttle at points...but still manages to beatout cars that dont have nearly as many problems. This car is that powerful. Just needs some work to make her right.

As for the oil...lets just say it wasnt good
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well good luck, keep going with the project and it will come together, I'm sure. Keep us updated
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Launching!

this car blewup and is a pile of monkey doo doo hahahahahaha :-)
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ONELOUDLS1
this car blewup and is a pile of monkey doo doo hahahahahaha :-)
Why do you feel the need to bring a thread up from 2 years ago, just because the girl broke up with you and you are still mad about it. Get a life looser.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts

My car idles at 600-650rpms and it is a Tuned A4. There is a little set screw on the Throttle body that stops the 2 blades on the inside at a certian point. Play with that screw, and you can set the Idle, I did that to mine. In gear sitting at a light, mine idles at 550rpms. It sounds like a Harley.

Quick Reply: What should my car idle at?