LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

few cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few cam questions

Hey guys im sure this has been covered many times before, but im looking for some more recent setups. I just picked up just an lt4 hotcam for cheap. I know its not the best out there, but it fits the bill for what I want. Its a 97 ram air t/a which is just a daily driver in the summer. Headers and or-y are sitting here waiting to be put on as well. What do you guys recommend for supporting valve train parts? Springs,lifters,pushrods etc... As I said its just a daily driver that will never see a track so im not to worried about spinning high rpms. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If not worried about high rpm then why buy that cam?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Pac 1212X valve springs, from what I understand installs with stock LT1 retainers and hardware. Big improvement over the LT4 valve springs that come with the LT4 Hotcam kit. GM 1.6 roller rockers that come with the LT4 Hotcam kit work well with that cam. There are other choices out there as well.

I am going to go that route with mine I already have the GM 1.6 roller rocker arms. Make sure you get it tuned. With a tune and headers,1.6 rr's the LT4 hotcam will be a good solid performer.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah like the said some 1.6 rockers. you can find some ls7 rockers for pretty cheap. I used comp valvetraine so i would suggest stuff from them. You should talk to Lloyd Elliot about cams though he can hook you up with some sick set ups or advanced induction they can tell you anything you need to know
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Can you give us a nice complete writeup on using LS7 rockers on an LT1?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Cool man its great scoring Perfomance parts for cheap, here is a good link that I have used to do a cam swap before, http://www.ls1howto.com/?article=23 , it covers all the steps on Cam Swap, your gona want some "Beehive valve springs" or some "double valve springs" by COMP, hope this helps some !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comp-Gm-Lt1-Lt4-Beehive-Valve-Springs-Spring-Kit-600-Max-Lift-313-Lbs-In-/301541279449?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item463542c6d9&vxp=mtr
and a good set of "Chome molly" Push rods
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001_Z28_FUN
Cool man its great scoring Perfomance parts for cheap, here is a good link that I have used to do a cam swap before, http://www.ls1howto.com/?article=23 , it covers all the steps on Cam Swap, your gona want some "Beehive valve springs" or some "double valve springs" by COMP, hope this helps some !

Comp GM LT1 LT4 Beehive Valve Springs Spring Kit 600" Max Lift 313 lbs In | eBay

and a good set of "Chome molly" Push rods
That info would be great if he had an LSx engine.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thundercat97
Hey guys im sure this has been covered many times before, but im looking for some more recent setups. I just picked up just an lt4 hotcam for cheap. I know its not the best out there, but it fits the bill for what I want. Its a 97 ram air t/a which is just a daily driver in the summer. Headers and or-y are sitting here waiting to be put on as well. What do you guys recommend for supporting valve train parts? Springs,lifters,pushrods etc... As I said its just a daily driver that will never see a track so im not to worried about spinning high rpms. Thanks.
Valvesprings: if your looking for cheap go with the alex parts lt1 valvespring kit. If you looking for something of higher quality go with lunati's dual valvespring kit P/N 73925k5 or a comp cams 918 beehive setup.

Rockers: Comp cams ultra pro mags are the best you can buy imo. Scorpion makes a good rocker, so does crane and lunati. The GM ones that come with the kit have had some failures lately. Personally I'd go with NSA 7/16ths rockers with ARP 7/16ths studs and hardened guideplates, you could probably get away with SA rockers but i've personally had issues with SA rockers and wont recommend running them.

Lifters: I would budget some money for them but inspect your stock lt1 lifters before you go ordering new ones. The stock lt1 lifters are pretty reliable and the ls7 factory replacements have also had some failures lately. If you need replacements id look into comp cams 850's

Pushrods: Measure for pushrod length. Just cause its a GM cam doesn't give you a free pass on that. You should always check it. Get hardened ones, dont cheap out.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

If you need lifters I would do the cheap Morels before Comp, I wouldn't be in a blind rush to replace lifters though.

On springs, you just need to look for something slightly stronger than the LT4 spring to compensate for the heavier LT1 valves.

Far as pushrods, worry about hardened IF the rockers are non-SA and need guideplates, hardening is specifically for when the pushrod has to interface with a guide. I am not arguing against aftermarket rods to a measured length just saying the fixation with "hardened" is not warranted unless guideplates are involved.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
That info would be great if he had an LSx engine.
Correct....my bad

Quick Reply: few cam questions