LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 Camaro Z28 5.7L V8 dies on me at stop???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Camaro Z28 5.7L V8 dies on me at stop???

Hey guys, my fiance and I bought a 1995 Camaro Z28 recently and yesterday while sitting in the parking lot waiting for my friend...it just dies. Check Gauges light came on. So I retired her up and check engine soon light was on for a minute or so then went away. Hasn't happened again since. Also, my low oil pressure light will come on here and there then go away, car is running great and i checked the oil, all good. Might be a bad sensor there, fluctuates a lot when I'm driving. Any ideas on these issues???
Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to be careful with oil pressure, man. I ruined a Firebird that way.

The oil pressure light would only be low (with Check Gauges light) on for a second when starting, and then go to normal... and then it would fluctuate a little bit while driving. It's normal for pressure to change while driving, but not within the low dangerous levels. It was the oil pump going out, and I destroyed the engine. The car is home to a ton of spiders and wasps now, because I can't afford to rebuild it in the near future.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:27 PM

I know oil pressure fluctuates a little. But mine goes from 0 to almost 40 while I'm driving. My oil pressure light has been coming on more often today. Check engine soon came on a couple times too...didn't do this during the text drive. Of course...
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would garage that thing immediately and get it checked. I was way too trusting and lost that car (or at the very least, the engine.)

If you start to hear "clicking", it's already too late.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DishDave0793
Hey guys, my fiance and I bought a 1995 Camaro Z28 recently and yesterday while sitting in the parking lot waiting for my friend...it just dies. Check Gauges light came on. So I retired her up and check engine soon light was on for a minute or so then went away. Hasn't happened again since. Also, my low oil pressure light will come on here and there then go away, car is running great and i checked the oil, all good. Might be a bad sensor there, fluctuates a lot when I'm driving. Any ideas on these issues???
Sounds like you bought a problem. They probably doctored the car up, just to make it through a test drive. Person was probably giddy as you drover off. Sucks man.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Best case scenario is that you just need a new sensor. They tend to indicate low when they get old and engine is hot. You can install a temporary mechanical gauge to check the actual pressure to be sure. LT1s can go as low as 6 psi at idle before the check gauges light comes on. It's always better to have a bit more than that at idle, but low pressure at idle does not always mean immediate disaster.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Southern Rex, I don't hear any clicking unless I am in drive. Neutral and Park I can rev the engine up and hear nothing. When I'm in drive though I do hear a small clicking noise, which actually sounds like it's coming from my dashboard. Motor isn't knocking at all.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 AM

ShBox, thanks for the insight man. I went and bought a sensor yesterday. Going to put that in today and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car does the same thing with the oil pressure, every now and then it will dip low when i'm at a stop, but it will bounce back up to near 20 psi. Then it will run at 40 psi down the road. Its done this since I bought the car 4 years ago. your's is probably just the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block. Just do what Shbox suggested and you will figure it out lol Keep us updated!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I've worked on cars a lot. But being our first muscle car project I don't wanna mess anything up haha. Will keep updated once I get to work.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I have the exact same problem here. I bought and installed a Mech. gauge just to confirm it. The car dies when the oil pressure goes below 8psi on the gauge.

I am going to check the oil pump drive gear to see if it is stripped Friday the 27th. Then if that is OK, I will go to change out the oil pump. I am going with a stock Melling pump. The M55HV or M155HV pumps will suck your pan dry.

Update: I checked my oil in the gas an it smelled like gas, probably the culprit.

Last edited by WhiteThunderZ28; 05-26-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 1995 Camaro Z28 5.7L V8 dies on me at stop???