LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blowing oil out dipstick tube hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blowing oil out dipstick tube hole

Hey guys, my engine is blowing oil from the oil dip stick hole on the block itself not from the dipstick itself. It leaks onto my exhaust and smokes. It does not do this all the time only sometimes during low speed cruises every like five mins a drop comes out. I have a fully functioning catch can and venting from driver side manifold and passenger valve cover with pcv valve oriented correct way.

It's a 93 header, hot cam kit car. Before there was no issue, the issue only began when I changed to a 94+ intake. This is really annoying and embarrassing issue. Car had all gaskets including head gasket changed less than 2000 miles ago. No overheating issues and operates fine. If I remove oil cap, no puffs of smoke come out.
Attached Thumbnails Blowing oil out dipstick tube hole-img_7714.png  
Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check your pcv valve and make sure it's not stuck shut
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Teching In

It is brand new but honestly I've seen it randomly when I was breathing into it get stuck. Can you verify the correct part number? I'll be getting a new one from auto zone again. I'll also put the old dirty one back in since I never had an issue with that one..
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a fresh air vent tube on every engine also, in a different hose from the pcv valve. this is where the crankcase vapor should be flowing out of (crankcase -> out) as a relief, in the event the PCV valve sticks shut or if it "sees" boost pressure (during boost, the pcv would also shut, where does crankcase vapor go in that case?)
Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
There is a fresh air vent tube on every engine also, in a different hose from the pcv valve. this is where the crankcase vapor should be flowing out of (crankcase -> out) as a relief, in the event the PCV valve sticks shut or if it "sees" boost pressure (during boost, the pcv would also shut, where does crankcase vapor go in that case?)
I have never heard of this on an LT1 honestly. Maybe somebody can chime in? But I doubt there's one as I've gone through this engine a couple times.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

there has to be, every engine on the planet needs somewhere to get air from to replace the air pulled out by the intake vacuum through the pcv valve.

If such a place did not exist, then the crankcase would be pulled down to intake manifold vacuum, and an oil seal would be damaged, it would be pulled into the crankcase.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 AM
Teching In

I believe the fresh air gets drawn in from the passenger side valve cover, there is a black hose that has a 90 deg elbow to the top of the valve cover. The other end of the house draws fresh metered air from the TB.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Was the dip stick tube moved or pulled when any of the work was done? It's pretty much just a friction fit into the block. Try and pull it out, if it comes out clean it up and smear a SMALL amount of RTV on it and stick it back in. Also, like the others said check your breather and PCV system. With the engine running if you pull your dip stick or oil fill cap out, do you get a bunch of smoke/oil out, like it has excessive blow by?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by biketopia
Was the dip stick tube moved or pulled when any of the work was done? It's pretty much just a friction fit into the block. Try and pull it out, if it comes out clean it up and smear a SMALL amount of RTV on it and stick it back in. Also, like the others said check your breather and PCV system. With the engine running if you pull your dip stick or oil fill cap out, do you get a bunch of smoke/oil out, like it has excessive blow by?
No I do not get any blow by when I remove oil cap or dipstick. And yes it was removed at one point but it is held down with the bolt to the block.

I think my culprit is my pcv valve. I put a brand new one in when I switched intakes and that was only other change to my pcv system. Faulty new one I guess.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Good deal, hope that fixed it up! If it continues I'd just pop the dip stick tube out and smear a little RTV on it and call it good.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by biketopia
Good deal, hope that fixed it up! If it continues I'd just pop the dip stick tube out and smear a little RTV on it and call it good.
With my old one it still did the same, it doesn't help the old pcv valve is really dirty. I will put a bit if rtv because of so many times the dip stick has been in and out I'm sure I'd loose.

Since I have an oil catch can, could I run without a pcv valve?

Quick Reply: Blowing oil out dipstick tube hole