LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good budget headers and recommended tube size

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good budget headers and recommended tube size

In a few months I'm hoping to slap a set of long tubes on my car. It's been tinkered with by the previous owner some. Slight cam upgrade (wasnt told specs), ported heads, and a cold air intake. And just a couple days ago I hooked up a Flowmaster 80 series. It's no powerhouse but I want to add just a little bit more to it. I've seen where alot of people go with Pacesetters and have seen alot of mixed results. I dont wanna break the bank but I'd rather not have to put on another set for a good while. Any suggestions for a decent budget friendly set of long tubes?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Gamble on pacesetters rotting away, or gamble on SS ebay headers not fitting great.

Those are the choices for budget minded stuff.

Or, spend the coin on Kooks/ARH and worry free.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

When my Pacesetters finally rot away I'm going to give these a try:

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sp...-4-f-body.html

I did one of their kits meant for 99-06 trucks on a 92 TBI truck. Pretty happy with the materials but the clamps suck, using run of the mill TorcTite lap/butt clamps until I can weld it up.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Teching In

As much as I'd love to have a set of kooks it just ain't in the cards. This car just has too many other hiccups for me to invest that much into it. Looks like pacesetters will be the way to go. Or a decent set of Hookers. Any size recommendation?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XSPower still make headers? I have LPPs XSpower ones and they are sweet
Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacesetter 1 3/4 are what I went with, no fitment issues, and no other issues yet. They don't look pretty, but I don't drive the car on wet roads. If you're that worried about it, get the headers and bake the paint off them. Use an oven, a torch, or however you can to get them up to temperature. Paint them with a quality silica based header paint, not just plain old grill paint.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I have ceramic coated pacesetters on my car and they are holding up fine, on the 6th season with them. that said, my car gets parked in the winter and rarely sees rain. the pacesetters on my truck rotted out within two years of daily/winter driving. if your car doesn't see salt they should last you quite some time and then you can save for a nice set of stainless headers for when they do go
Old 08-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I have ceramic coated pacesetters on my car and they are holding up fine, on the 6th season with them. that said, my car gets parked in the winter and rarely sees rain. the pacesetters on my truck rotted out within two years of daily/winter driving. if your car doesn't see salt they should last you quite some time and then you can save for a nice set of stainless headers for when they do go
I'm in the mountains of Va so there's salt all over the place in the winter. Car doesn't get driven much but it doesn't get put up or anything sadly. Two years is about the time frame I'd be ok with after either building a 3rd gen or grabbing up an ss. Pacesetter may be the way to go.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I've had my Hooker LT's since 1998. The only drawback is the dumb slip fit on the #1 primary. Other than that they're still holding strong.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I've had my Hooker LT's since 1998. The only drawback is the dumb slip fit on the #1 primary. Other than that they're still holding strong.
I run the same set on my car. Yea the slip fit is kind of a bitch but they do fit well and I haven't had any gripes with them. Bought them used off a guy in Arizona and slapped em on my car for my gen1 swap.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pacesetters and have JetHot coat them inside and out.