LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I Spank the newer camaros with my ole 700+ RWHP LT1, they always same the same thing, "what in the hell do you have under that hood" and I say, just a little ole LT1 small block. Their look......priceless
The following users liked this post:
Lsp Przy (07-16-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
When I Spank the newer camaros with my ole 700+ RWHP LT1, they always same the same thing, "what in the hell do you have under that hood" and I say, just a little ole LT1 small block. Their look......priceless
With a power adders I can see that but there's no way your making 700 on an LT1 naturally aspirated on pump gas so with that being said I don't think its something you can drive daily on the street.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
With a power adders I can see that but there's no way your making 700 on an LT1 naturally aspirated on pump gas so with that being said I don't think its something you can drive daily on the street.
He finally saw the light and went turbo. Now if he can come to the dark side and swap an auto in it...
Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Never said it was NA, cant drive it daily ? How about pump gas AND Air condition to boot !!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
He finally saw the light and went turbo. Now if he can come to the dark side and swap an auto in it...
Yup, I wish I would of stayed auto, but I know I would loose my butt if I sold the M6 and it is a brand new viper upgrade T56
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Manual's are drivers transmissions and I get putting automatics in drag cars but I still like shifting gears.
The following users liked this post:
Vicious95Z28 (07-24-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

BTW, OP, it's LT1. LT-1 was a whole nother generation.
Art? Or something? It made sense at the time.
Yeah. So did the mullet....
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
BTW, OP, it's LT1. LT-1 was a whole nother generation.

Yeah. So did the mullet....
You remind me of those guys at Autozone that nitpick at stuff but still can never find the parts I ask them for.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Round my parts I see guys driving around in drag cars. I'm talking giant slicks, parachutes and everything. So long as they can plate it and make it turn "driving on the street" ain't gonna stop any one that wants too do it but we all know if your modding the same car you plan on carpooling the kids in and letting your wife borrow to the grocery store than you already picked the wrong hobby. A man only needs his car to do 2 things. Drive him to the track and drive him to the beach to pick up some babes.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
You remind me of those guys at Autozone that nitpick at stuff but still can never find the parts I ask them for.
s-so is he the customer or the associate in this situation? im not following.

we all know if your modding the same car you plan on carpooling the kids in and letting your wife borrow to the grocery store than you already picked the wrong hobby. A man only needs his car to do 2 things. Drive him to the track and drive him to the beach to pick up some babes.
bro, you like women? i like women too, we should hang out dawg.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Village Troll

The above is describing exactly what you did with your original post.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR

The above is describing exactly what you did with your original post.
How hard is it to stay on topic dude?
It's pretty self explanatory. "What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019? Question is in the title.

How is your LT1 holding up against modern engines?
Do people give you a hard time for clinging to it?
Pretty hard not to understand that unless you just didn't want too.

I don't know what you do but I know for my car I modded the hell out of it. Mainly because I wanted to be competitive and I raced the car a lot. 25 years and multiple generations of engines from Chevy, Ford, Dodge and the rest really change the game for a LT1 in this day in age. Cars are making a S-loads of more power now even imports. The lack of aftermarket support also doesn't make things so simple. So if you have an LT1 you either know your stuff and how to give others a hard time or you're just the guy with a K&N filter that's happy your car still drives all these years later. Different strokes for different folks but for the competitive crowd my question is more or less aimed at them. Yeah it's easy and cheaper to swap to LS (insert number here) but if you still have an LT1 in 2019 you have it for a reason. That's what this is about ffs. I didn't spend S-loads on my car to say "I win some, I lose some" I came to fn win otherwise I would have just brought a Buick get good gas mileage and call it a day.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
s-so is he the customer or the associate in this situation? im not following.

bro, you like women? i like women too, we should hang out dawg.
Uhh? What? I think something is in the water where you live.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of like the novelty of running this much lesser known engine that is very reliable and can make decent power. I never really envied the ls1 cars and I still don't at this point. The only reason why I would really choose an ls1 now is because of the proliferation of parts. Lt parts are getting expensive and hard to come by.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT1 can't hold a candle to modern engines because its 20-25 year old tech that is being held against engines that were deigned with computing power that was not even dreamed of back then. Dollar for dollar, the LSx engines will always outperform the LT1. If you want to be "competitive" (/eyeroll) - go LS, period. If you want to be competitive and different, and have extra cash, keep the LT1. They most definitely CAN make great power but you'll end up paying more for the same output as an LS.

we all know if your modding the same car you plan on carpooling the kids in and letting your wife borrow to the grocery store than you already picked the wrong hobby. A man only needs his car to do 2 things. Drive him to the track and drive him to the beach to pick up some babes.
Yeah, you must be high.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhh? What? I think something is in the water where you live.
and i think you are either to young to know what youre taking about, or too old to understand hows threads flow and slowly losing grip on reality itself.

or just autistic.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Village Troll

So if you have an LT1 ....
There it is. Didn't read what you said. Just searched that paragraph to see if you'd address our platform correctly. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Someone asked me recently why I bought an LT1 instead of an LS1. My response... "Because it was cheaper, and I can bolt a TH350 to it without a custom bell-housing."

I'm a drag racer, specifically bracket racing. All I care about is that it's consistent. So far, the LT1 has been very consistent.

Plus, I like the idea of reverse cooling. When I decide to build this engine and step up in bracket, it'll be going back together with ~15.2 compression and E85.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You can still build a mean 383 out of an LT1 that will hang with HCI LS1 cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You boys getting dirty looks or do you make those heads turn when the car hooks?

Whenever I tell people I have a 4th gen they immediately start talking about the LS1. Then I interrupt them and say it's a LT-1 and they start looking at me sympathetically. Round my parts I rarely see LT-1's anymore mainly LS-1 boys everywhere. I remember the days when I could pop my hood open and people would gasps at the glory of the LT-1.I was proud to show them it's might and glory... now I simply bow my head down. I admit I always had a crush on the LS1 not so much just for it's performance but because it didn't have an opti spark or annoying head gaskets. Like many of you though I have an LT-1 still because I'm a poor bastard and I have to make due with what the GM Gods put in the car when it was born. I now know how those enthusiastic 3rd gen guys felt when they would pop their hoods and enthusiastically show you the TPI.

I remember in those times feeling sorry for them but now I'm the one to feel sorry for. I know LS1 guys think we're eyesores just something for them to point and laugh at when they drive down the highway but I like to believe that the LT-1 even with it's short lifespan is still capable of being competitive in this modern day. I do wish to confess my sins to my brothers here that I have spent nights on craigslist looking at LS1's to swap. I have even done worse and at my lowest point looked as LM7's. I am ashamed of myself. This is why I come here to strengthen my faith.
I know your pain, especially when newer 6-cylinder engines come the factory making more horsepower than what my Jasper remanufactured LT1 is likely making. Oh well! My car is still eye-catching and sexy, damn near the closest thing you can get to owning a Corvette yet being able to seat two more people and having some storage space in the hatchback if you need it. Do I need to leave out T-tops if you have them?!

I don't drive my car for hormone therapy or to prove I have the most powerful drag strip capable street car around. I drive my car because I enjoy it and I love it. Sure, you get caught up in all the hype over the LS family but my car came with the LT1 and given how many years I have owned the engine and learned about it and how to perform basic maintenance on my own, I refuse to start over with a new engine, especially one with electronic throttle control and with technology that makes it impossible for me to service the engine on a basic level! Technology wise, I am happy with a nineties car and I will continue to drive her daily with her LT1.

What about making more power? I am not like the crowd and I could care less for displacement when fuel economy is a big concern for city mileage and the frequent idling I do when the expressway shuts down due to idiot drivers and accidents on a clear summer day! Instead of looking at newer technology I am actually looking back at the L98 and the TPI intake to give my LT1 a badly needed boost in torque where I need it and want it for the RPM range I am mostly operating in and which would benefit me most in autocross! Everybody strokes these engines or cams them but only a few have inquired about focusing on the intake manifold and turning their LT1 into a quasi-L98 of sorts. The LT1 is a small block Chevy after all!

This project gets me excited for eventual modifications to my LT1, I just need to find a shop willing to do the minor modifications on a Corvette TPI base. I won't take away from your post with the specifics but I am just saying these engines are not that bad! After learning everything I could about how to help make the Optispark more protected from fluid contamination and which aftermarket Optispark to purchase which uses a high quality sensor, my LT1 is as reliable as can be now and good enough for a daily driver but the TPI intake should make her more enjoyable for me based on my driving.

Quick Reply: What's it like being a LT-1 Owner in 2019?