Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004 | 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1/4 Buildup

How's it going?

New member here (as of yesterday).

I have a '94 Z28 M6 all stock.

I'm looking into buying a 383 LT1/4 short block or a LT4 long block to build into a street rod motor. My goal is 450-500 N/A hp running on pump gas. Right now, I'm looking at short and long blocks from Golen Engine Service (www.golensengineservice.com). Anyone have any comments about this place? (Positive or negative) Since I live in Hawaii, I want to be satisfied with whatever I buy because any disputes are going to be an expensive, time consuming PITA to resolve. Also welcome any comments/suggestions on my project.

Thx, Edd
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:26 PM
Teching In

If you want a well built engine go with More Performance....... http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/
Old 10-01-2004 | 02:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I just emailed them. Anybody else?
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Moreperformance is very good. Shipping is 600 bucks each way , so be prepared.
Are you in the military? If so, have the motor sent to your home of records and have it shipped as Household Goods, as I am pretty sure you still are under your weight. Just a thought
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't get hungup on LT4 stuff.
Golen would be A good choice for a shortblock as are others, power is in heads and cam though so spend some time researching that stuff.
Advanced Induction
Lloyd Elliot
Combination Motorsports
Lingenfelter and a bunch of the vendors listed on the right side of your screen(excluding TPIS) would all be better choices than LT4 parts.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Don't get hungup on LT4 stuff.
Golen would be A good choice for a shortblock as are others, power is in heads and cam though so spend some time researching that stuff.
Advanced Induction
Lloyd Elliot
Combination Motorsports
Lingenfelter and a bunch of the vendors listed on the right side of your screen(excluding TPIS) would all be better choices than LT4 parts.
True, the shortblock , for the power you want is easily obtainable, and with a set of LLoyds heads, and the customer service you get with it, you cant be beat. The other companies are very good too, but allot seem to be focused on LSx motors. Not to say they will put you on the back burner, but LLoyds is working the LTx heads, and continously working them towards improvements.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robtx
If you want a well built engine go with More Performance....... http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/

I bought a H/C package with a supposed "custom cam" from them about 2 years ago. Cost me twice what any other builder charged and their custom cam ended up being an LT4 hot cam.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Docspeed
I bought a H/C package with a supposed "custom cam" from them about 2 years ago. Cost me twice what any other builder charged and their custom cam ended up being an LT4 hot cam.
I got a custom cam from them too, and believe it or not, it was, as it had special lobes and the LS was different than the advertised. Maybe I was lucky.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve40th
I got a custom cam from them too, and believe it or not, it was, as it had special lobes and the LS was different than the advertised. Maybe I was lucky.
You must have been. What really ticked me off was when I got the cam, it did not have a cam card or anything showing the specs. I called them to get it and they kept saying "Yeah, let me look and see what it is". After 3 months, and after the engine was back together they emailed me the specs: 218/228 0.525, 0.525 lift 112 LSA. Real custom huh?
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Docspeed
You must have been. What really ticked me off was when I got the cam, it did not have a cam card or anything showing the specs. I called them to get it and they kept saying "Yeah, let me look and see what it is". After 3 months, and after the engine was back together they emailed me the specs: 218/228 0.525, 0.525 lift 112 LSA. Real custom huh?
That sux.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm currently in the range that you are looking for and still tuning on mine. All my motor work was done by Thunder Racing. They do a great job and while I was there this week, were shipping out a 383 complete engine with AFR 210's overseas to Turkey that was assembled in house. If you decide to talk to them about it, you'll want to talk to Shane @ Thunder and tell him that Ron sent 'ya. He is a straight shooter and will not sell you anything that he doesn't think will work.

Here's a few pics of my buildup that I posted in a recent thread. Good luck!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/423216-my-383-build-pictures-anyone-interested.html

Quick Reply: LT1/4 Buildup