LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why do you guys keep holding on to your lt1s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,010 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The ancient Gen1 LT1 is pretty cool so is the old Gen 2 LT1 is also pretty cool for nostalgic reasons too. NA Gen 2 350 LT1 vs Gen 1 350 TPI, TPI car is more fun to drive & more reliable. 😀

Gen 2 LT1 about their performance potential they are like 30+ years ago. Cool if you like them but ancient history and irrelevant now. The LS1 isn't far behind either.

As for performance now with Gen 2 LT1, good luck, almost no one wants to tune them, many shops refuse to even look at them and quality performance parts are hard to find. Advanced Induction an LT1/LT4 leader will barely fool with porting LT1/LT4 heads anymore - their website indicated they do them once a year. Lloyd Elliot may still do LT1 stuff.

Lot of poorly informed Gen 2 LT1 fanboi's & think that reverse flow cooling means something. It means the LT1 cylinder heads aren't designed correctly and have hot spots due to the siamesed exhaust ports. Add an iron block and you have thermal issues and can't disperse the heat quickly enough. Band aids like reverse flow cooling are required to scrape by.
Check out stock for stock how much larger of a radiator a stock LT1 making 50hp less needs vs an LS1.

You can run 12 to 1 + compression all day in an aluminum block LS with a good tune & pump 93 gas, no need for reverse cooling and all of its issues. Zero advantage to the LT1. However reverse cooling does make the LT1 prone to having issues with trapped air in the cooling system. Real life knew a couple of people that lost LT1's to that issue. Never mind the optispark.

Plus mod for mod back in the day in 1999, the LT1's were typically .3 to .5 seconds slower than an LS1.

Due to the worn out GM tooling used in the mid 1990's about 1 out 5 LT1's seemed spin bearings after getting heads and cam because their build quality was pretty low. The extra stress & rpm was too much. One of my friends was service manager at a big Chevy dealer, he said new as installed by GM, the LT1 about half needed a full rebuild to actually be in GM spec on bearings and other machining.

Given the dozens and dozens he replaced under GM warranty couldn't argue with him. Later running his own hot rod shop, he would build some killer LT1/LT4's but only as a full rebuild or stroker due to poor factory machine work.

Saw a lot of disappointing LT1's back in 1999-2003 including several 383/396 LT1's that struggled to make ~360whp due lousy cylinder heads, poor build quality & bad tuning.

With that said, there were several power adder 396 LT4's in my area that kicked *** and would, could & did slap down NA LS1/LS6 H&C cars, supercharged Mustang's left and right.

Those 700+whp FI LT4's schooled a lot of newbies.

I'm sure a lot of folks won't like this post but that's the facts of what I saw & experienced back in the day.

Nothing wrong with hot rodding an old obsolete engine...it's part of the fun.

End of

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-16-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a lot of vitriol for one post. You mad?

Honestly, I was looking for an LS1 car too. But a $3500 LT1 SS with all SLP mods was too good a deal to not take a chance on. You should read up on reverse flow cooling some more. It was originally developed for the LT5, and it was built into the design of the LS1 from the start. The problem with the LT1 is GM did it starting from a Gen1 SBC design from the 50s. The LT5 and LT1 are the reason the LS1 exists.

Enjoy your car, I will enjoy all of mine.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyS
That's a lot of vitriol for one post. You mad?

Honestly, I was looking for an LS1 car too. But a $3500 LT1 SS with all SLP mods was too good a deal to not take a chance on. You should read up on reverse flow cooling some more. It was originally developed for the LT5, and it was built into the design of the LS1 from the start. The problem with the LT1 is GM did it starting from a Gen1 SBC design from the 50s. The LT5 and LT1 are the reason the LS1 exists.

Enjoy your car, I will enjoy all of mine.
Definitely enjoy your car. A++ on that.

No anger, just pointing out the many built in faults and frequent poor quality the Gen2 LT1 had coming off of the assembly line. Good news is probably most of the total dog LT1's have spun bearings or overheated from air pockets cracking their heads and died by now. So only fairly decent ones are left running around 25-30 years later.

Have probably racked up ~450,000+ miles driving Gen 1 Small Block Chevy's.

GM literally had worn out tooling and had inexperienced workers slapping LT1 bottom ends together that didn't understand how to correct the machining issue.

The cylinder heads were good at the time for small block chevy arrangement. Pity GM didn't update the LT1 heads to the symmetrical approach evenly spaces the cylinder head exhaust ports, which prevents concentrating heat on the two center exhaust ports, which is a common problem with production valve layout heads on both drag race and endurance engines.

I had plenty of exposure to LT1's back in the day. A close friend had two of LT1's. My dad had one. All had the standard water pump leaks/optispark, broken rockers and cracked exhaust manifolds, failed radiators - with mild use in just a few years. They were nice when sorted out and running but subpar in reliability. They looked cool. 😍

I've read my share on reverse cooling, that why I posted what I did. The reverse flow cooling idea was ripped off by GM from a consultant named Evans who was careless with his intellectual property. There's a long lawsuit that occurred, story is entertaining to say the least. GM wised up and realized reverse flow wasn't needed when the motor was a correctly designed from a clean sheet.

Did-gm-steal-the-innovation-that-made-the-lt1-possible?

Hard for a clean sheet design to owe much to the LT1, as basically nothing was carried over from the LT1. I'll give bore spacing to the original SBC.

The Lotus designed LT5 definitely got GM Powertrain motivated, that for sure.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-17-2022 at 12:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyS (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

I agree the LS1 was new. But if GM didn't have the experience of the SBC, LT5 and then LT1, there is no LS1. A lot of the same people were involved in both the LT1 and LS1 development. They learned a lot and made the best pushrod V8 ever.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

$3,500 for an LT1 SS seems pretty good.

What's your long term plans for the car?
Auto or stick?

Longtubes & 1.6 roller rockers really seem to help.

One things for sure, its the BETTER LOOKING 4th Gen Camaro. The SS hood rocks. Liked it so much my 3rd Gen RS ended up with the 3rd Gen version of the LT1 4th Gen SS hood. I say that as a $4,500 02 Z28 owner too 😀

Old 02-17-2022, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the laugh.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The ancient Gen1 LT1 is pretty cool so is the old Gen 2 LT1 is also pretty cool for nostalgic reasons too. NA Gen 2 350 LT1 vs Gen 1 350 TPI, TPI car is more fun to drive & more reliable. 😀

Gen 2 LT1 about their performance potential they are like 30+ years ago. Cool if you like them but ancient history and irrelevant now. The LS1 isn't far behind either.

As for performance now with Gen 2 LT1, good luck, almost no one wants to tune them, many shops refuse to even look at them and quality performance parts are hard to find. Advanced Induction an LT1/LT4 leader will barely fool with porting LT1/LT4 heads anymore - their website indicated they do them once a year. Lloyd Elliot may still do LT1 stuff.

Lot of poorly informed Gen 2 LT1 fanboi's & think that reverse flow cooling means something. It means the LT1 cylinder heads aren't designed correctly and have hot spots due to the siamesed exhaust ports. Add an iron block and you have thermal issues and can't disperse the heat quickly enough. Band aids like reverse flow cooling are required to scrape by.
Check out stock for stock how much larger of a radiator a stock LT1 making 50hp less needs vs an LS1.

You can run 12 to 1 + compression all day in an aluminum block LS with a good tune & pump 93 gas, no need for reverse cooling and all of its issues. Zero advantage to the LT1. However reverse cooling does make the LT1 prone to having issues with trapped air in the cooling system. Real life knew a couple of people that lost LT1's to that issue. Never mind the optispark.

Plus mod for mod back in the day in 1999, the LT1's were typically .3 to .5 seconds slower than an LS1.

Due to the worn out GM tooling used in the mid 1990's about 1 out 5 LT1's seemed spin bearings after getting heads and cam because their build quality was pretty low. The extra stress & rpm was too much. One of my friends was service manager at a big Chevy dealer, he said new as installed by GM, the LT1 about half needed a full rebuild to actually be in GM spec on bearings and other machining.

Given the dozens and dozens he replaced under GM warranty couldn't argue with him. Later running his own hot rod shop, he would build some killer LT1/LT4's but only as a full rebuild or stroker due to poor factory machine work.

Saw a lot of disappointing LT1's back in 1999-2003 including several 383/396 LT1's that struggled to make ~360whp due lousy cylinder heads, poor build quality & bad tuning.

With that said, there were several power adder 396 LT4's in my area that kicked *** and would, could & did slap down NA LS1/LS6 H&C cars, supercharged Mustang's left and right.

I'm sure a lot of folks won't like this post but that's the facts of what I saw & experienced back in the day.

End of
99 Black Bird T/A (02-17-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Todays 3rd party SBC cylinder head tech has already rendered the LSX platform obsolete.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Todays 3rd party SBC cylinder head tech has already rendered the LSX platform obsolete.
can you elaborate? genuinely curious
Old 02-20-2022, 08:00 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

wut.

People throw lsx SBE and turbo combos together to go easily quicker than years of LT1 trying to go fast combos.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
wut.

People throw lsx SBE and turbo combos together to go easily quicker than years of LT1 trying to go fast combos.
Decades. Gen II SBC shared exactly the same go fast principals as the GenI. No wheel has ever been reinvented for the LT1.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Decades. Gen II SBC shared exactly the same go fast principals as the GenI. No wheel has ever been reinvented for the LT1.
Who said anything about the LT1? I'm saying people are so hung up on the "LS" platform you're not even noticing tech that has already moved past it.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

$3,500 for an LT1 SS seems pretty good.

What's your long term plans for the car?
Auto or stick?

Longtubes & 1.6 roller rockers really seem to help.

One things for sure, its the BETTER LOOKING 4th Gen Camaro. The SS hood rocks. Liked it so much my 3rd Gen RS ended up with the 3rd Gen version of the LT1 4th Gen SS hood. I say that as a $4,500 02 Z28 owner too 😀
It is a nice looking car. The design aged really well. It gets lots of compliments. I spend a lot of time racing my Subaru and am building another car. I'm also moving this summer. Since it's high mileage and weeping oil, I'm going to pull the engiine and do a mild rebuild and upgrade. I will also likely go with a 24x conversion to increase reliability and make tuning possible. It will probably get long tubes too and the trans will get refreshed. It'll probably go back together and be enjoyed like that as a fun driver. The Subaru will go full rally car conversion and be used for major abuse. I also have an MR2 I'm building for a different event, but I will likely sell it next winter and get a project truck.

I really just enjoy driving the SS. I need to get the stereo repaired, fix the headliner, and finish my suspension install and brake upgrade. I have a separate thread on it a few posts down. I was looking for an LS1 car but this one popped up so close to me I had to look. Honestly, this car needs me so that makes it worthwhile too.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:37 AM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Who said anything about the LT1? I'm saying people are so hung up on the "LS" platform you're not even noticing tech that has already moved past it.
What “tech” is it you are referring to?
Old 02-21-2022, 08:01 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS RRR
What “tech” is it you are referring to?
ford godzilla motor is pretty darn cool

some of the newer direct injection LSX stuff is also cool
Old 02-21-2022, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Location: The Firebird spent most of it's live through the winters of Indiana. Now in D.C.
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Sentimental value

It's the Sentimental value for me. I bought my 2001 Pontiac Firebird convertible 6 cylinder, 3.8L, beige leather interior, metallic midnight blue in 2004. To celebrate finally graduating from college and with my first out of college. All my own money. It was my dream car. I drove 4 hours just to get. The A-hole dealer didn't even give me a brake on the price. I didn't care much. I bought it at about 22,000 miles, and now have over 264,000 miles. I'm working to restore it back to show room quality. I almost paid for the car all over again . . . . and I don't mind!
Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
ford godzilla motor is pretty darn cool
Great potential. Is it as cost efficient as building a LS platform at the same power levels? A boomer wants to know!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Bad assumption on your part that about hangs up on the LSx, I think most enthusiasts know all engine platforms only get a limited amount of time in the sun before something superior with more potential comes along. Maybe another engine maybe an EV etc.

Sort like this...
TBI < TPI < Gen 1 SBC < Gen 2 SBC LT1 <Gen 2 SBC LT4 < Lotus LT5, Gen 3 LS1< LS2 < LS3 < LS7 < LSA < LS9 < Gen V LT1 < Gen V LT4 etc.. LT6

One can enjoy the nostalgic engines while having an objective informed opinion of their various short comings. Zero delusions about my 257,000 mile LS1 with annoying piston rock on cold starts. It's day in the sun was nearly 20 years ago.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

End of

Just let me know when you are ready for some Poor Gen II action
Old 08-21-2022, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Owned mine for 15 years. I know the car very well. A lot of the car I’ve taken apart or I know who has serviced it.

Not worth much but still get a thrill driving it.

Hear too many old guys at car shows say, “Man, I wish I still had my _____” that I know I will be saying “97 SS” if I sell it. Bought it the Summer after I graduated high school.
383z (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I want another LT1. Most likely a Camaro SS with T-tops. those are the best looking 4th gens to me next to the LS WS6, but the LT1 sounds better.

Quick Reply: Why do you guys keep holding on to your lt1s?