LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

thermal coating

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thermal coating

Do they make intakes and CAI with a thermal barrier coating? If so have there been any dyno tests to see if/what the gains are? Just curious.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Ok, confused
Thermal Barrier coating, is that ceramic coating or what, and why would this make a difference?
Does this help air flow or something!
Whats on your mind!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Thermal coating is to help with wear not flow on bearings and with heat distribution on chambers. I dont think it would do anything to a intake or CAI. Seach C28.com in the advanced section and you will find a good read.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not talking about wear and tear or flow. I'm talking about keeping the air coming in as cool as possible, keep engine compartment heat from heating up the manifold which in turn would heat up the air. Sorta like coated headers, keeps engine compartment temps down. Sorta like sitting bags of ice on the intake before a run down the strip. (yeah I know that's old school lol) That's suppose to be the purpose of the Edelbrock Air Gap manifold, keeps the hot oil from heating up the bottom of the intake which will keep the air coming in cooler. I saw that manifold and the idea just popped in my head about some kind of thermal coating. I reckon nobody has ever tried it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the Impala guys are running intake manifolds with the inside and bottom coated in an epoxy. The specific epoxy the one guy came up with insulates much better than ceramic coating and those guys are seeing something like .15 in the quarter with just this change.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with him and it has been done on other intakes.

What he needs is a thermal coating that retains the heat to only the intake manifold and not letting the contacting air absorb as much of the heat, as it did before. I think they have a space age type coating that you can get for this similar to ceramic. I think that is the whole deal with the plastic intake manifolds you see coming out nowdays.(Less heat retention)
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

.15 with just coating the intake? Hmmm Do you have any idea what kind of stuff they were using??
Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Launching!

So where would we get this SPACE AGE product??
Old 12-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Just stick to what works, right?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Space age coating seem to go on thin this stuff he filled the bottom of the intake where it contacts the heated oil from the lifter valley so it can be quite thick. It was an electrical components potting epoxy. He found one that was a good insulator yet was oil and high temp resistant 500 I think. He got the idea after finding out that epoxy like this was a controled substance in NASCAR he figured if they regulate it there must be a reason. I have to figure out which laptop I have all the info saved on, my luck it is the unstable one with the dead screen. Only reason I had not ordered the stuff yet was you have to buy a whole gallon of I believe each of the two parts and it is like $100 plus you need to thoroughly clean the intake like sandblast it and I just recently got a good sandblaster so I am about ready to use it so I need to find the info myself anyway.
One more half of a detail that popped into my heads was he posted some sort of thermal transfer ratings and aluminum was a 4, ceramic coatings a 12 and this stuff was like a 30.
Once I get a batch of the stuff I was debating doing these for guys since you need to buy a lot of it, need to sandblast the intake then need to bake to cure it it is not an easy project for everyone. I have a sandblaster and when the wife wanted a new stove the old one went to the garage for just this sort of thing so I am setup.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some searching last night and found this site http://www.techlinecoatings.com They have a retail section that anyone can buy from and then a bulk and shop only section. I assume you have to have a license or something to buy the shop stuff. The retail seems to be water based. This stuff goes on really thin too with a touch up spray gun and it also says to sandblast with 120 grit aluminum oxide, clean real good then spray and bake in an oven. They have coatings for tops of pistons, combustion chambers, valves, headers, intakes, pretty much the entire engine. They have shops all over the country that use this stuff, anybody ever had any dealings with them??

98capricemgr, you said earlier that they coat the inside of the intake too, how do they get it down in there and get it evenly spread out?? I'm still interested in that stuff too so when ya get a chance please post anymore info if you get it off that wore out laptop. lol
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a buddy give me a catalog of all of these coatings. I lost it a while back. I remember that they coated the tops of the pistons with one coating, the skirts with another, the combustion chamber on the head along with intake and headers. Some of the coatings were for friction reduction and some were for heat retention. I will have to a web search for us now.
I remember it added like 15+ hp and increased efficienc
Old 12-19-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Find anything out? I haven't find anything DIY other than what I already posted.

96capricemgr did you get that info off yer laptop yet about the epoxy?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

I am in the middle of setting up a new desktop and computer wise everything is a MESS. After dinner I will try to find the old posts on www.impalassforum.com searching epoxy should find something of use.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=003155
some reading for you guys. If any of you are in WI and are interested let me know since I will be buying much more of this than I could possibly use.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found this site on engine coatings but it doesnt have the intake coating that we are looking for. http://www.hpcoatings.com/engine_coatings.htm
I will keep looking.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.techlinecoatings.com they have a coating for pretty much everything. Is there only one place to get that epoxy from? Seems like somebody would sell it in smaller amounts.

Quick Reply: thermal coating