LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

About the new MSD cap and rotor for the Opti-spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About the new MSD cap and rotor for the Opti-spark

I heard about this product on a previous thread and i have acouple questions about it. If my opti-spark was already starting to miss every now and then , would just the cap and rotor fix that problem or would it be best to get a new one? Anyone have any idea what the price is on the MSD cap and rotor? Where can I get one?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

150.88 on summit
Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/store/8481.html It costs 149.95 at this sight but last time i checked it was out of stock. Yes it would fix your misfire problem but you still have to use the optical sensor from your old optispark with this so make sure that is still functioning properly.
Also on a side note, am I allowed to post websites that dont sponser this sight? I am not sure if the one i just listed is sponsered or not, i am sorry if i was not suppose to. BEN
Old 02-16-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

What makes you believe the optispark is the source of the misfire? Have the rest of the ignition components been replaced already?

With the information given, it seems a little bit premature to assume a cap and rotor replacement will correct your misfire. There are a lot of separate components in the ignition and fuel system -- a lot of possible problems which would result in a misfire.

The MSD replacement certainly wouldn't hurt, but if you're going to tear into it, the optical portion of the optispark should probably be replaced as well. It's not really worth doing the job twice...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. Just because you have misfires you shouldnt assume its the opti. Entirely too many people assume a problem with there car originates from the opti when it doesnt. I wouldnt be surprised to hear somebody say "my wheel flew off going down the highway so I guess its time to change the opti, lord knows if i would have changed opti's sooner the wheel never would have come off".

For some reason everybody blames the opti for every ignition problem on any LT1 when it is actually a dog'on nice ignition system with VERY FEW flaws. m Check plugs, wires, boots, coil, etc.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

If his car is a 94 and his optispark is still stock there is probably a really good chance it is bad though....lets be realistic, plus in his post he said IF his optispark was missing then a new cap and rotor should fix the problem IF his optispark was in fact the problem....but you guys are right he defiantly should check the cheaper things first
Old 02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, 10 or 11 years of operation is a lot for any ignition system. There's no doubt in my mind that there's some wear (even though mine was running strong when I replaced it last summer, and it had been gutted/cleaned/vented). I LOVE MSD components -- I'm sure their cap and rotor is a great piece.

The problem I see is that, at least in my experience, the optical portion and rear bearing will fail equal to (if not more frequently) than the cap/rotor. If it fails, then neither the fuel injectors nor the ignition coil will fire correctly = misfire. Simply stated, ASSUMING the optispark is the culprit, replacing just the cap and rotor would hardly be a 100% positive solution. At best, you've got a 50-50 chance of actually correcting the misfire.

Just thought I'd clarify. It's not a bad idea to replace anything and everything with the ignition -- I'd consider it general maintenance after 10 years of abuse. I just don't believe a cap/rotor replacement is 100% guaranteed to solve his misfire. It could be as simple as a cracked plug or arcing ignition wire...
Old 02-16-2005, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

I've had a wheel fly off into the dirt because of the opti before!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 94Hawk 319
I've had a wheel fly off into the dirt because of the opti before!!!

That's nothin', I had to replace 3 piston return springs because of a fubar'd opti.... That, in turn, caused a lean condition and overheated my muffler bearings and siezed up my entire sticker charging system....

Mike
Old 02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Every time my opti hiccups, I pee a little. Is that normal?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Every time my opti hiccups, I pee a little. Is that normal?
And here I thought I was the only "Opti-incontinent"!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rob 94Hawk 319
And here I thought I was the only "Opti-incontinent"!
Brother!!!

Whew, false alarm -- fixed the leak with a hose clamp...

Ok, ok, I'll stop now.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Launching!

The engine is just a bare block at this time. The car had 140,000 miles on it and still has the stock opti-spark. The plugs and wires were replaced at 120,000, when I got the car. I later put an MSD coil and ignition box on the car. All the plugs looked nice when I putted them out so I'm about 90% sure it was the opti-spark because it was covered in oil and I did the stupid thing and took it through a car wash that washed the underside of the car. I'm just going to go ahead and replace it with a new one, and I'm going to put alittle more thought into it and I might just go ahead and get the MSD cap and motor for an upgrade. What's 150 bucks when i already have about 6 grand into the car? Thanks for somewhat of an answer!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry -- just screwing around.

http://www.samtaylor.com/html/parts.html -- if you're going to buy a complete new optispark. -Cheapest you'll find.

I hope that resolves the issues you've been having. Sounds like the rest of the system is relatively new. Are the ignition wires stock as well? You might still take a look under the hood at night (in the dark) and look for any small sparks of light (arcing) between wires/metal. Since you're in there already, it might not be a horrible idea to upgrade wires as well, if you have the spare cash. I prefer MSD's personally...
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Brother!!!

Whew, false alarm -- fixed the leak with a hose clamp...

Ok, ok, I'll stop now.

Good 'Ole Alex! Welcome aboard brother
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Yea i plan on replacing everything but the coil because it's almost brand new and all are going to be from MSD(love all there products too). I work at a dealership and get parts for cost so the opti-spark it'd too bad for me. Later
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the rebuild route and never had a single problem. From what ive seen a LOT with Opti failures the Rotor comes apart because it is made poorly. The MSD design appears to have addressed that problem. I will be going that route here shortly on the GFs 96 Z.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I did the rebuild route and never had a single problem. From what ive seen a LOT with Opti failures the Rotor comes apart because it is made poorly. The MSD design appears to have addressed that problem. I will be going that route here shortly on the GFs 96 Z.
Yep, happened 3 times in one year to my buddies 92 Vette. Does MSD sell replacement rotors only? That might be a good upgrade to a standard opti. I wish MSD would elaborate a little on addressing the problems of the stock opti. Maybe someone should contact MSD and give a report on their findings lol....

Mike

Quick Reply: About the new MSD cap and rotor for the Opti-spark